Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 First station issue

Just now having issues with station #1. The case insert slide is not pushing the cases fully against the shell plate. So when I go to resize, I'm crushing the case on the lip of the resizing die. sometimes i catch the "hit" and get it fixed before I crush a case. Out of 100 rounds, I'm having to move the shell by finger against the shell plate about 15-20 times. Im reloading 45acp.

What's the issue here?

Without seeing it its difficult to diagnose but I'd ensure the case insert slide cam is positioned the right way (long side facing shelplate) and that the track it slides in and the cartridge slide are cleaned ans lightly lubed. Also check to make sure the loaded cartridge shute is not rubbing against it. If that don't do it, call Dillon.

Edited by mpeltier

Make sure the long side of the cam is facing toward the machine, the rear of the cam is flush with the cam slide and adjust caming pin until the case is fully inserted into the shell plate when the press is in the full aft stop position.

You might want to check the shell plate for a stuck piece of polishing media that could be blocking full case insertion and that you are moving the handle all the way aft.

Make sure the long side of the cam is facing toward the machine, the rear of the cam is flush with the cam slide and adjust caming pin until the case is fully inserted into the shell plate when the press is in the full aft stop position.

You might want to check the shell plate for a stuck piece of polishing media that could be blocking full case insertion and that you are moving the handle all the way aft.

I agree with Henry!

Make sure you are fully moving the handle in both directions especially back. On my 650, I have to make sure I'm finishing the upstroke to ensure my cases index properly.

I will take the shell plate off and clean it. I do push and pull the handle completley, so I dont think thats a issue.

I like the tape method. Seem like it would work. I will deff give it a try after cleaning the shell plate..

I had the same problem some time ago. I adjusted the slide to make sure it was forward (towards the shell plate) enough. Loosen the Allen screw that holds the slide and manually push the slide forward to make sure it inserts a empty case into the slot in the shell plate, tighten the Allen and then cycle the press to make sure the adjustment is correct.

Its as far FWD as it will go.

I had the same problem some time ago. I adjusted the slide to make sure it was forward (towards the shell plate) enough. Loosen the Allen screw that holds the slide and manually push the slide forward to make sure it inserts a empty case into the slot in the shell plate, tighten the Allen and then cycle the press to make sure the adjustment is correct.

I doubt you'll need the tape.

One thing to check - I processed thousands of 223 on my 650 prior to getting my 1050. I noticed that I'd get a slight build up of sizing lube on the bottom of the "U" that inserts the case into station 1. Sometimes their would be enough lube just to make things sticky enough to pull the case back out a little bit. The problem was easily solved by a quick wipe of a alcohol soaked patch.

I think by adjsting the cam pin you'll be on the right track.

I noticed that I'd get a slight build up of sizing lube on the bottom of the "U" that inserts the case into station 1. Sometimes their would be enough lube just to make things sticky enough to pull the case back out a little bit.

Yep. I clean that area periodically.

Shouldn't that area have a lot of grease in it to absorb the impact of the shell when it drops from the case feeder? I thought I read that in the Dillon manual but I'm not for sure

The underside of the station 1 locater should be greased.

Have you checked to see if the ejector wire is keeping it from sliding all the way forward? Mine tends to work itself up a bit and causes the issue you are having until I push it back down.

This has been my problem when the case would not go forward all the way. I tap it back down and all is well.

I took the shell plate off and cleaned it off with 91% alcohol. The camming pin looked ok. After reading the manual, I had the 1/16" of a gap dillon states you should have. So I didn't touch it. I ran 100 rounds through and not 1 issue. Guess the shell plate was a little gunked up

Here is another thing to check, I had this problem too and found out the socket head screw that

Holds the ramp/cam was too long , when I tightened the screw it would cause the slide to bind and

Stop before the case was seated .

Try adding another flat washer to the screw.