Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which CZ Custom hammer for my new Tactical Sport

EngineerEli

Hey all,

So I have a brand new TS 9mm on its way and I have been looking around CZ Custom for what parts to get. This will primarily be for range shooting and 3gunning, maybe limited minor if things get in a bind.

Looking at the hammers it appears CZ Custom has wide (for TS and Shadow models) and standard (for everything else). Looking at the hammers it looks like the base is the same width and it is just the .... extension of it... is narrower, can anyone confirm this? I have an SVI I shoot for limited, and really like the light weight hammers that fall really quick. My question is would I be able to get one of the standard hammers and install it into my TS for a lighter weight hammer? Would the hooks be cut the same on both versions? I also noticed they have a low version now, that is intended for lower sights. I may change the sights later on, but I'll probably shoot the fixed ones for a while. Would that lower hammer also reduce the radius of the ark the hammer would follow, therefore quickening hammer fall? Ideally I just want to figure out if I would run into any problems trying to install a standard width low hammer into my otherwise stock TS, well I'll probably put a flat trigger into it too, but for the beginning that would be about it.

-Eli

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the factory CZ wide race hammer on my TS and it's incredible! I bought it from CZ USA, I would get another but they're never in stock; it looks just like the wide one from CZC, but it looks like they manufacture that one themselves, so I don't know if the hooks are identical.

If your question is: "can you use the standard, skinny 75B hammer on a TS?", I would say "yes".

I've actually thought of doing the same thing: bobing the 75B hammer down to a little nub and using a 20# hammer spring for a quick snap :surprise:

Edited by kneelingatlas

I've actually thought of doing the same thing: bobing the 75B hammer down to a little nub and using a 20# hammer spring for a quick snap :surprise:

Sweet! I have an old standard narrow hammer from an old CZ that I upgraded I may have to try bobbing it putting it in. I can mess around with the hooks too since it is just a spare.

My Though is to consider getting the performance hammer with the narrow/standard with and the shorter one for low sights to minimize my hammer fall time. My only concern would be if the hooks are not cut the same on all the competition hammers. Does anyone know if they are in fact all the same?

The one I'm considering:

http://czcustom.com/images/products/detail/stdlow_1467.jpg

http://czcustom.com/czcomphammerlow.aspx

Edited by EngineerEli

The new czechmate hammer is like that and very cool.

CZCM_1651a_zps3053980c.jpg

Edited by eerw

I'm waiting for this hammer so I can send my TS to you guys for a bunch of work. ANY idea when it's going to be available?

I installed the competition wide/low hammer along with the flat aluminum trigger in my TS. I also installed an adjustable rear sight and a lower matching height front sight. I did some action polishing while I had it apart. The trigger is fantastic and much better than stock with no creep whatsoever, and I also adjusted the trigger so that is has very little pre-travel and almost no overtravel. It also breaks at a bit under 2 lbs. It is by far the best of all my CZ triggers and I have quite a few of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for this hammer so I can send my TS to you guys for a bunch of work. ANY idea when it's going to be available?

Today!!! https://shop.cz-usa.com/P-40108/Concealed-Hammer-Sa-Only.aspx

I just got mine :devil:

It's a wide hammer. As it comes on the new Czechmate, I don't think it's designed for carry; the idea is a lower reciprocating mass for a quicker lock time.

A year ago I would have called you crazy if you told me a hammer was worth $90, but the race hammer was the best mod I've made on my TS, so I just had to try!

Edited by kneelingatlas

Looking at that Czechmate hammer, it doesn't seem like it would be all that light???

I just took a standard narrow hammer and bobbed it last night. I took as much off as I thought I should, I tried to leave most of the flat surface that rides along the bottom of the slide during the recoil stroke, seemed like something I shouldn't remove. You can see the weights, I removed just over 18% of its weight and all near the end where it helps the most.

My problem now is the hammer strut pin on the TS seem to be staked or what ever you call it, and I couldn't get it out for the life of me. I guess I'll have to get a new hammer strut and pin at some point to give this hammer a try.

Second though, Has anyone considered grinding or filling a groove in the middle of the hammer face on the factory TS hammer. For some reason the factory hammer hook goes all the way across, where all the performance ones have an opening down the middle so there are two separate hooks on either side. It would seem like you could reduce creep considerably if you lessened the contact surface of your hammer and sear by 33% or so by putting a cut down the middle.

Your thoughts?

post-33893-0-55843300-1379351239_thumb.j

post-33893-0-42654200-1379351246_thumb.j

I could really go for some help on why I cant get the hammer off the strut. I would love to try the bobbed hammer, and I'm thinking of getting the low narrow CZC hammer but I need to know if I have to buy a new strut and pin, or plan to drill the old pin out or something!?!?

What size hammer are you using? I use at least a 16 ounce ball peen hammer to drive out pins; that way the hammer does the work and you don't have to swing so hard (less collateral damage :) ).

I've removed a lot of hammer strut pins and never come across one which was staked in. Maybe if it's really stuck you can soak it in penetrating oil overnight?

Honestly I am using a wood working hammer, it was what I had near by. Never slipped off and hit anything though! I was pounding on it hard enough to bend my craftsman punch a bit. Is there any better way of securing the hammer/strut to drive the pin out? Looking at either side of the pin, there is an obvious round concave mark, that looks to be pushing the ends of the pin out radially.

I can take the gun apart tonight and try soaking the hammer, what exactly do you suggest for penetrating oil? something like pb blaster or just CLP or something else? If it would help I could snap a few pics tonight.

I could really go for some help on why I cant get the hammer off the strut. I would love to try the bobbed hammer, and I'm thinking of getting the low narrow CZC hammer but I need to know if I have to buy a new strut and pin, or plan to drill the old pin out or something!?!?

The main spring strut is 5 dollars, and the trigger pin is 2 dollars. Myself for 7 dollars I would have all new parts.