Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Spacer Question

Steve Moneypenny

Was playing with a friends open gun. seems like no matter what we can't keep a spacer in a mag that functions right. super glue, epoxy... j/b weld.... how does everyone else do it? only thing untried is double sided tape. but no more room in the mags :wacko:

Does anyone have any suggestions before we go hard core?

Steve..in the STI tubes I am using spacers in ( short 126mm) I am not using any thing..they are placed and fitted tight into the tube..these are the plastic ones that come in the STI 9mm follower and spacer kits

rtr's mags, I think he sent to Beven and they have what looks like a metal spacer fitted in..not sure if they are welded or not..

Steve, the spacer should fit in such a way that it should not have more than 1/16 of vertical play (from lips to feet) when installed with the spring/follower/basepad. The spring/follower should hold the spacer to the rear of tube without any adhesive or other stuff.

I have been told that Beven's new stainless spacer is welded into the tube.

steve, if the spacers are fitted properly they don't require anything. they are held in by the spring and follower or rounds and the base pad and feed lips. i now have stainless ones that are made for me because the delrin ones that were from sti and the ones i made from delrin do not hold up for long the long term. they get battered up at the top by the top round as the slide cycles. bevin also has stainless ones he uses in the same manner. i fit mine so that they lay flat in the back of the mag but can actually move around a little this way i know that they are not binding against the base pad when it is installed. the stainless ones will actually shake around a little when the mag is empty. also when you go to clean the mags you can make sure that trash isn't in behind the spacer by slipping it out and cleaning just like all the other mag parts. good shooting j.l. hardy

anyhow it was my mags.

The problem is with the pads I use the spacers can move way too much. They can drop over half an inch. They won't rise up high enough to jam it up, but they do drop low enough to cause a problem.

Part of it is I am using 115jhp zero's in my nine so loading them long really does not happen. I have tried to load them longer but then I can't get a good crimp.

I am going to try to use the silicone. If it holds to glass it should hold to steel

I use Silicon, JB Weld or Tig weld the stainless spacer in place if there are some cracks in the tube itself to take care of. JL is right on with the problems with plastic spacers, they wear out too fast at the top of the mag. I do recomend that the spacer should be attached to the tube.

I have stainless spacers in my mags that Beven installed, it appears to me that they are welded in, haven't moved so far. Best part is they stay in when the mag is disassembled, one less thing to worry about.

I have STI tubes with delrin inserts. The inserts aren't held in place except for the spring and follower or rounds and the base pad and feed lips. The inserts come out when you take the base pad off.

100% so far (knock on wood).

Well problem solved.

I used plain old contact cement and it works wonderfully.

I am not using plastic spacers, I am using aluminum spacers that I made. I did not feel that the plain plastic ones were smooth enough.

As for SV mags if I could find the tubes at a reasonable price(or at all) I would.

• 2 weeks later...

i do not use any spacers at all in my own 9mm mags. i have both sv and sti mags and they function flawlessly without spacers. i load a 125gr. zero hollow point bullet at 1.170" oal. the use of spacers has more to do with the overall length of your ammo than the brand magazine you are using. i have heard that most people say that the spacers need to be used primarily in sti mags rather than sv but i have yet to have the need for spacers in either type. if you choose to use spacers, be sure to fit them properly and bevel the backside of the spacer so it sits flush against the inside of the tube. and talking to paul w. the rtv silicone works well to hold them in place. paul also uses the rtv silicone to hold his underwear up while he's shooting but says it sometimes causes a slight rash.