Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag problems with STI 2011 in 9MM

billy396

I have a very nice lightly used STI 2011 in 9MM with 5 new 140mm mags. I've shot two steel matches with it and had the same problem both times. After the first couple of stages go just fine, it starts to jam. The rounds nose-dive into the feed ramp. For some reason, this doesn't happen on the first or second stage. The mags are new, but I'd be willing to try new springs. I just bought 9mm mag spacers with new followers and I'm hoping that it will solve the problem, but I'm not very confident. When loading the mags, I can tell that the lower rounds in the column aren't angled up like the top round, or like they should be. I can tell that's what's causing the problem. I'm hoping that someone here has experienced the same problem and knows the trick to solving it. This is my first 2011 and I love the way it shoots when it's working right.

check the specs of the mag feed lips. there is tons of info on how to do that on the forums here. That would be the place to start. What length are you loading, or are you using factory? are you currently using 38super mags with no spacer?

Are your followers trimmed? Un-tuned followers caused me many problems with my first 2011 and this was the simple fix. Remove the slide from the gun and replace the slide stop into the frame. If the followers are rubbing on the slide stop this could be your problem.

If I'm reading this right you're using STI mags without spacers in 9mm??

They shouldn't work at all that way.

The reason they make the spacers is because the 9mm case is too short to make contact with the front rib in the side of the mag tube.

That's why most people use SVI tubes. They have one big rib in the side and need no spacers.

After about 10-12 rds in a STI tube, the rounds start going sideways.

Nick

The spacers with the 9mm followers should help a lot.

As for some of the rounds being nose down, the 9mm case is tapered so as you load the mags, some of the lower rounds will be nose down especiall in a mag without the 9mm spacer and follower.

Thanks very much to everyone for the advice. I'm using STI tubes, and I just installed the STI 9mm spacers and new followers. I hope this solves the problem. I shot one match with some weak handloads, which worked ok but I could tell they were too weak to get any benefit out of my comp and the brass just fell in a little pile next to my right leg. I shot the last match with factory 125 gr rounds, which seemed to work just fine. I may have to start reloading some hotter loads to get the benefit of my comp. The previous owner used to shoot 9MM major out of this gun without any problem. He's just a couple of points shy of making GM, and he wanted to get rid of this backup gun and have two matching SVI Trubors. Thanks again to all.

The reason they make the spacers is because the 9mm case is too short to make contact with the front rib in the side of the mag tube.

That's why most people use SVI tubes. They have one big rib in the side and need no spacers.

Nick

Not always...I have an STI tube that I got from a forum member here and he never used a spacer and shot thousands of 9Major with it and not one issue. STI mags and spacers are just one of those things where you have to try it to see. I know several other guys on here claim to have more than 10K on STI mags without spacers and without issues and then there is the opposite crowd.

Also, check your feed lips to make sure they are correct, most of the time they are not and you either get lucky or else...

Nick

Yup, When I bought my first 9mm open gun from you/your dad, none of my .38 Super mags would run with more than a few rounds in them. I SHOULD have enough old style SV mags to last my lifetime. :cheers: