Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing protection & re-shoot

Paul-the new guy

A shooter is coming out of a position and reaches up to adjust his hearing protection, shoots a couple rounds, blows a reload, finishes the stage and then tells the R/O he wants a re-shoot because he knocked his hearing protection lose while getting into the tight corner. Can you stop yourself if you dislodge a piece of your safety equip? There was no way the RO could have seen that his ears had been knocked lose. Re-shoot or no?

Does the RO see his hearing protection out of place? Did RO see the impact which effected the shooters hearing protection?

I believe the shooter should have stopped himself, that said I believe a reshoot is in order.

This is an old trick I've seen myself twice...not saying it's the case here. But this and RO interference is most common to get a reshoot when a shooter blows a stage.

To edit--- looking at section 5.4, I'm not sure. I read it as not a reshoot. He did not stop himself, and the RO did not stop him. Of course 5.4.5 could come into play....

Edited by whitedog

A shooter is coming out of a position and reaches up to adjust his hearing protection,This is where the RO should have stopped the shooter. shoots a couple rounds, blows a reload, finishes the stage and then tells the R/O he wants a re-shoot because he knocked his hearing protection lose while getting into the tight corner. Can you stop yourself if you dislodge a piece of your safety equip? YES There was no way the RO could have seen that his ears had been knocked lose. Re-shoot or no? No, this is like steel that does not go down right away, if you correct the problem and then finish the stage it is scored as shot.

This is an issue that should be addressed at the match briefing. Ie. "We are all about safety, so under rule 5.4.4 A competitor who inadvertently loses eye or ear protection during a course of fire, or commences a course of fire without them, is entitled to stop, point their handgun in a safe direction and indicate the problem to the Range Official, in which case the provisions of the previous rule will apply."

This is doubly important for ear protection. We notice eye protection only when debris comes back at us. Hearing protection is noticed every time we fire a shot If your plugs or muffs are not working stop yourself and explain what is happening to the RO. We will gladly drop you down a couple so that you can correct the problem.

This is an issue that should be addressed at the match briefing. Ie. "We are all about safety, so under rule 5.4.4 A competitor who inadvertently loses eye or ear protection during a course of fire, or commences a course of fire without them, is entitled to stop, point their handgun in a safe direction and indicate the problem to the Range Official, in which case the provisions of the previous rule will apply."

Either the competitors know the rules or they don't. You can't go over all of the rules topics that may come up during the match at the shooters meeting. (No one is paying attention anyway.)