Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why don't people like the ratchet?

read for a while that no one likes the ratchet mech that is on the 1050, reloaded with that working the first time and i love the thing. i've done a lot with out it before since the previous owner broke a bolt off in there so mine never worked. what's so bad about it?

For me, there are times when:

the bullet falls/lands sideways on the case and it won't go in the seating die;

the case from the case feed does not slide into the shellplate and falls to one side;

the old primer does not get punched out or is pulled back into the primer pocket and then the swager pushes it in even further;

I have no idea. Early on I was advised to throw the ratchet away because "everyone does." I left it on and I like it. I don't see where the ratchet interferes with clearing a malfunction and it does seem to prevent short stroking the machine.

Get in a hurry and bring the dies down on your finger that you didn't get out of the way on the seating position and try to extricate yourself from that one with the ratchet in place! :roflol: Happened to the previous owner of my 1050, and the ratchet came off before the finger healed.

Alan~^~

i loaded another 500rds of 40cal today on the 1050 with out the mech on there. i didn't notice it not being there till later on, i guess i'm still up in the air about it. it's ok and yes if you are setting up a machine or tweaking a load yes it's annoying. other than that i think i like it.

I took mine out after the first 100. Sometimes setting up the machine and just learning the curve on a 1050 needs some flexibility and the ratchet wont give you that. I had so many lock outs with just the ratchet failing thinking i was l6doing something wrong its frustrating, specially when you're learning the machine.

Pre Mr B, i saw more benefit without it. YMMV.

With Mr. B, I can't imagine it being used together. Or heck i may try to put it back in just for kicks. Not. Its gonna be a hassle.

• 4 weeks later...

I chose to leave mine on the machine because it seems to slightly annoy my wife, most of the time I reload and she is not home. But sometimes after a good argument its okay to leave the gun room door open and load a couple hundred rounds on the 1050 for effect!!

When I first got my 1050 I had to adjust the rachet mechanism. The machine would lock up when the handle was in the down position. A slight adjustment and all was fine. I initially thought it was a good idea to keep it on while I learned the machine and how it worked. Once I got familliar with the machine's operation, I had intended to take the ratchet off.

After a few thousand 223 cases processed and loaded, I took the ratchet off. To me it just didn't feel right with out it, so I put it back on. I guess I became used to it and it just seemed normal to have it on for me.

I imagine if I took it off prior to adjusting it, it would seem odd to run the machine with it.