Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is "cutting oil?"

walnutty

Hi Guys,

I just received a couple throating reamers from Manson. On their website, it says to use cutting oil when using the reamers.

Is this a special type of oil, or would any kind of gun oil work? What about motor oil? I have several brands of gun oil at home and hopefully wouldn't need to buy another bottle of oil.

Also on these reamers, the back end is not square, but rather round with a couple of flats machined on each side. Will a regular T-handle adjustable tap wrench work, or do I need to use a special wrench?

Thanks in advance.

Nope, cutting oil is a specialty oil. I wouldn't use anything else, especially if they're mine :)

It comes in a small can (think of 3 in 1 oil size can) but it doesn't cost much more than specialty gun oils.

The reamers should have a tapped hole in the end, that's to put it in a mill. Don't think a regular tap wrench will work, but I'm not positive.

I use Universal Do-Drill from brownells. Works just perfect and the quart will last me forever.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/taps-dies/tapping-cutting-fluids/universal-do-drill-prod1120.aspx

Any T-handle should work. I made my own from round bar.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Hello: The best cutting oil I have ever used is white lead in oil. You can't buy it anymore since it is bad for your health. Any machine shop supply store will have a good selection. Get one for stainless steel if your barrel is stainless. it will cut cleaner and easier. A regular tap wrench will work fine. Go slow and don't reverse the reamer or you will break it. Clean it often and store it in a place it will not hit other hardened materials. I have reamers that are over 80 years old and still cut great. Thanks, Eric

cutting oil is special like mentioned above. if working on a critical part of a firearm i would use the recommended oil (perhaps it helps keep lower temperatures or keeps lower stress in the metail). however, i have done a ton of cutting, drilling, tapping on metals for years and i use good ole motor oil with no issues.

btw, just to educate myself i ran a quick search and found this....

"The difference is the additives. Cutting oil is sulpherised. the sulpher acts as a lube. Home depot was closing it out a month or so ago. Check your local store. The local plumbing supply will also have it. Also Cutting oil is somtimes lard based instead of petroleum. You need to match your cutting fluid with the metal you are cutting. kero or Isoprople alchohol for aluminum. minral oil for brass , cast iron is cut dry. Or better yet use the shop vac for CI .Sulpherised oi for steel. Both aluminum and brass can be cut dry if you are not too agressive. I have also use cooking oil for brass, olive and corn. Therre are lots of comercial products available all claiming to be the best.
Like I mentions before get you hands on some basic books and read them they will anser lots of the basics.

"

I use tap magic for mainly everything cutting related. Make sure all of the flutes on the reamer are oiled up.

Don't reverse the reamer when you are retracting it or chips will get caught up under the cutting edge and will cause a bad finish.

You could just use a small Crescent wrench for the handle. If you can get access to a drill press or mill your setup can be much more accurate and controlled. With that said, if the reamer is only going to be taking one or two thousandths off you probably won't have any trouble starting the reamer straight by hand. Take care not to wobble the reamer if you are turning it by hand or it will ream oversize.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the responses guys. I ended up going to Home Depot and bought a bottle of their Oatey dark cutting oil. I guess it's appropriate for steel.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/16-oz-Dark-Thread-Cutting-Oil-302032/203461243

I throated a spare old colt barrel I had on hand (for practice) and it worked, so I used it on my Para also. The results were amazing. However, realized my Para chamber is on the shorter side so I will eventually need a finish reamer as well.