Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MTAC needs to warm up?

Neomet

Went out and zeroed the new MTAC today. No illumination. It worked around the homestead but nuthin' out on the range. Came back home, put a new battery in and still nothing. Just picked it up a bit ago and it is on, nice and bright. The only real difference I can come up with is that it was 110 out at the range. Anyone else have this happen? I hate to send it back to Burris because like all intermittent electrical issues you know it will work when they take a look at it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about coincidence. Sighted in a new MTAC yesterday and took it to a match today. A fellow shooter in my squad also has an MTAC on his gun and complained that the illumination is not nearly bright enough to use in the Texas sun.

He asked to look through mine to see if it was brighter. D*** thing is dead. It was about 106 degrees outside at the time. If the heat is a problem for the MTAC, maybe they should only sell these things to the Yankees up North. You know, where it is cooler.

Bill

Mine works sometimes. If it turns on it will cut out when I shoot the gun. I have leaned to not use ilumination. I talked to Burris and they said send it in but it will take up to 5 weeks. I shoot at least 3 3gun matches a month. I gots not time to send it in.

That stinks ! I was gonna order this scope on Monday ..... anyone have any opinions on other scopes in the same price range ??

I'm starting to sound like I have some financial interest in Vortex, but I do not.

If you need something soon and are concerned about the MTAC then you might consider the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x MOA capped turret model. I think it is a little more price than the MTAC. Also, I cannot make any comparisons on relative reliability between the products. I've seen both Burris MTAC 1-4x and Vortex scopes all run fine on the range. We don't talk about failed equipment we didn't bring to the match, most days.

I happen to like the Vortex. But I completely respect all the people who use the MTAC and often beat me with them. [Hint: It's me, not the scope.] Once I get better zeros next week I think some of my match friends will be in for a surprise.

Others may be able to make a comparison of relative reliability, but not me.

Yep, I ran it today with no illumination (not by choice). It was fine on black Larues at 300Y. I still think I would be faster with red on black targets though. It is heading back to Burris tomorrow.

The MTAC for me has worked flawless . I don't care for illumination really. The scope has survived me slam dunking my rifle into barrels( sarcasm), and zero held. It sounds like you should send yours back. Burris will make right.

Eric the Leupold vxr 1-4 with Firedot is another choice in that price range.

Good luck

Edited by Sthrngnr

Found a brand new MTAC for 335.00.... havn't seen a new Vortex even close to that... Think I'll go w the MTAC & take my chances.... if it dosnt work I'll ship it back...from everything Ive read they are very similar in glass quality anyway, with the MTAC being slightly faster on shorter shots & the Vortex a bit better on the longer 300+ yd shots...Anyone find a BNIB Vortex for less than 499 (that's the best Ive seen) ??

O good its not just me. When I first got it the illumination worked great, then i started having problems with it shutting off on its own. Now it just flat out doesn't work. I plan to send it in over the winter, or maybe ill sell it and buy something else.

In my case its looks like heat is the culprit. After about 24 hours in an air conditioned house, the MTAC works like a charm.

Later this week I'll let it set out in the sun for a few hours and see what happens.

If it fails again, it goes back to Burris. Either that or I need to find a miniature swamp cooler that fits on a picatinny rail.

O good its not just me. When I first got it the illumination worked great, then i started having problems with it shutting off on its own. Now it just flat out doesn't work. I plan to send it in over the winter, or maybe ill sell it and buy something else.

I've looked on the Burris site for warranty information. Does anyone know which warranty covers the MTAC electronics? Is it 1 year, 3 year or 5 year?

I have owned two MTACS. The first which is a couple years old was perfect. The second which I just picked up on a prize table last month and mounted this week seems to be switching off during recoil or even the bolt closing on a few of the settings. After some close inspection I believe there is a problem with the dial switch and having an intermittent contact problem. Burris has always been great with customer service and will stand behind whatever issue may come up so don't be afraid to purchase an MTAC because its a fantastic value for the money. Stuff happens, its how the manufacturer deals with it that counts in the long haul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Colodrew, I agree with you. I think I will call them and see what they have to say. My season is coming to an end with only 3 or si matches left but I plan on working up loads over the winter so I hope turn around times are fast.

Its Official. Reliability of my MTAC is temperature dependent.

Take the scope outside (it was 92 degrees) and left it in the sun. Within 15 minutes the reticle failed to illuminate. Brought it back inside (air conditioned to 72 degrees) and checked a while later and it illuminates just fine. Repeated with two additional batteries.

Headed to UPS to send it off in a few minutes.

Since its not hunting season, I hope turn around will be a little better than six weeks.

Bill

I'm a big proponent of the Mtac, but I don't use the illumination. I've NEVER found a target that I couldn't see just fine with the black. The illumination may be useful in low light or in the woods, but you just aren't going to get bright daylight visibility from a $400 scope. Burris will take care of you though. First time I've heard of the heat issue.