Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any of you teach 3-gun classes?

Just curious how many of you have tried teaching 3-gun rules, techniques,....to people willing to pay for instruction.

Did you rent a range or show up to their location to instruct?

How far were you willing to travel to put a class on that was not associated with an upcoming big match?

Did it work out well?

I've had opportunities to go to Noveske clinics for 3-gun with Casanova at the Colorado multigun in April, and a shotgun clinic at the Nordic/Gateway shotgun match in Illinois in July. I didn't go to either clinic offered due to time constraints with travel to the matches. I've also heard of 1-2 3GunNation pros that were teaching basic classes on getting started into 3-gun.

I'm not personally looking to teach classes, but have considered whether it would be worth it for me to take a class where someone can critique my technique with shotgun reloads, rifle shooting in various positions, stage planning, pistol reloading and shooting, practice drills,....

Any time you can take a class or you get the oppurtunity to shoot with the best in the world how can you lose? Find the time, find the money, and take some classes.

Kurt's shotgun course is tops.

Squad with shooters better than yourself and ask what they are you going wrong.

Kurt and Trapr are great instructors.

I Havent taken Team Noveskes class but they are excellent shooters and very knowledgeable so it can't be bad.

You can send me your match videos. I'd be happy to help break down your strengths and weaknesses.

I appreciate all the responses gentlemen!

The problem I have around Kansas City, is the lack of 3-Gun shooters concentrated into any one area, that would allow me to put any kind of class together to draw in an instructor. Compound that with my traveling schedule for matches this year, and there isn't much time (or money left) to travel and take a course.

Jesse, I may take you up on that offer if I can get someone to film some stages for me at some upcoming matches. I'm usually RO'ing at local matches anymore and rushing to grab my gear together as the last shooter on each stage, I RO'd the Gateway shotgun match, and I will likely RO a squad during the September Gateway monthly 3-gun match as a Gateway Team member. I am entered into the Pro match at Rockcastle in a couple weeks, Ken Flood's Amateur match at the end of September, Fallen Brethren, Blue Ridge, and the International match....so I would love to get some stage footage throughout those matches, and use the feedback to work on things through the winter.

I have the advantage of having my own private range and am considering putting on some small semi-local matches for fun, so I have the place and resources to get practice in to improve where it's needed.

My curiosity is also peaked as to how many of the really talented guys out there are using their talents to cultivate the next crop of 3-Gunners. I'm also curious as to what would qualify someone to teach basics to new people....the basic rules, etiquette of setting up and pasting, basic technique explanation and instruction, zeroing distances, and what would get you DQ'd..... not making someone a Pro shooter necessarily, but comfortable enough to not look like a fool or get tossed at their first match.

Just to add, there are three match styles: 3GN pro, berm matches, natural terrain. There are unique things in some matches you won't see elsewhere.

Also, just like pistol, there are top guys who are skilled teachers/coaches, and some who are not. Style is a little more influential overall in 3 gun as well.

Just to add, there are three match styles: 3GN pro, berm matches, natural terrain. There are unique things in some matches you won't see elsewhere.

Also, just like pistol, there are top guys who are skilled teachers/coaches, and some who are not. Style is a little more influential overall in 3 gun as well.

I've shot both berm matches (USPSA matches you put on, in Rolla, MO, and Arkansas Section) and natural terrain. I've done well at both and noticed some big differences in the speed and layout. The berm matches I've been to often seem high speed, with lots of fast paper targets, and sometimes larger steel targets that can be shot with speed. I find myself barely having to focus on my front sight and putting two hits on paper as fast as I can pull the trigger....I have to admit, it's a bit of an adrenaline rush. The natural terrain matches I've been to (Fallen Brethren, MW3G to an extent, and Ozarks 2013) seemed to have smaller steel that forced you to slow down a little and make shots count more.

I'm fairly new to shooting sports in General, having shot my first local match March '13 and first big match in May '13 at MW3G, so I couldn't tell you what I have as far as a style.....except maybe sloppy and hap hazard? :goof:

I have a YouTube channel with some match footage from last year... http://www.youtube.com/user/eazenutz33 My name is Dillen in case there are videos of friends or misc videos I've liked or shared.

The only 2013 videos that have been taken so far are here....February 2013 match at CMMG's range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGSZfWgJ0ek&feature=c4-overview&list=UUNvpKu5p_QwiKIZ_zT7aVAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOD9b7k0N7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZG8pwhzc3M

Up here in Minnesota, myself and the MN 3 Gun Group put on a spring skills builder class. We tailored it to the newest of shooters, which we have a lot of. The course was attended by some who also wished to speed up there shooting. Much of what we did was handling and manipulation of the guns. We did the drills multiple times and changes a few bits as we increased in speed. We recruited 7 shooters with a lot of experience either shooting 3gun at major matches and or training firearms for LE and ran 3 stations. The bottom line of the training was to make each shooter better with the handling of their guns and in the end decreasing the time each shooter will be on a stage at a local match.

It was well attended by 30 shooters.

Jay

Up here in Minnesota, myself and the MN 3 Gun Group put on a spring skills builder class. We tailored it to the newest of shooters, which we have a lot of. The course was attended by some who also wished to speed up there shooting. Much of what we did was handling and manipulation of the guns. We did the drills multiple times and changes a few bits as we increased in speed. We recruited 7 shooters with a lot of experience either shooting 3gun at major matches and or training firearms for LE and ran 3 stations. The bottom line of the training was to make each shooter better with the handling of their guns and in the end decreasing the time each shooter will be on a stage at a local match.

It was well attended by 30 shooters.

Jay

That's impressive! IIRC, there were several of you guys at this years Midwest 3 Gun and some placed very well.

In the SoCal area we have 2 multi-gun matches and at least 6 handgun matches each month. If you know or have someone in this area just have them drop me a message. The training that I offer usually incorporates attendance at several of these matches and periodic coaching through a year.

Edited by Sterling White

Pat, put it in conjunction with your big match and we'd love to come up.

That is a great Idea. I will try to make that happen. Plus if you want you could stay and go on a fishing charter.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

And with that, I guess we better take this to P.M.s and e-amil.

BTW last time I was up was to Kotsabu (sp?) after a Caribu....and man are they tasty!

Pat get hold of Me or Trapr for more details