Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Reloader - Recommendations

syme71

After reading through this forum, it seems some powder brands are better geared to more experienced reloaders. What brand/type of powder would you recommend to a beginning reloader. I'd like to be as conservative as possible for safety reasons. I'm shooting Production right now with a G35. I plan on moving onto Limited in the spring with an STI Edge.

Since you asked about powder, my recommendation would be to get yourself at least one, preferably 2 or 3 reloading manuals. For 40 there are many powders to choose from, that are not pushing the pressure curve. I have used Winchester Super Field, Universal Clays, Hodgeden HS-6, and VV N-340. Whatever powder you choose, get load data either from the powder or bullet manufacturer, Start at a minimum and work up looking for signs of overpressure. In the powders listed above, if you start at min, and find the load you want for minor you should be good to go.

I bet some G35 guys will chime in with their pet loads.

Travis

Might as well start out with what you are going to wind up with. Tight group. Start out with a oal of 1.135 with about .418 crimp and what ever charge gets you to a good minor load for production. When you get your sti just lenghten the oal out to about 1.170 and up the charge til you hit about a pf of 170 or so and your set. Larry

Wow, I thought a lot more people would chime in with their favorite powder/bullet combo.

I guess I'll try Tite Group out. In terms of primers, any specific brand standout?

Is there a good (i.e. cheap) place on the web to source reloading components, especially powder? Only place that seems to have decent prices is Natchez.

Thanks all!

Not too much traffic here, becasue we've covered this topic a few times in the past (dig for data treasure with the search function).

I use only Federal primers in my glocks. I like to use a light striker springs, and Federals take away any worry about the primers not going off.

Like what Flex said- USE FEDERAL PRIMERS. They are soft and forgiving esp, with light stiker springs. BUT YOU ALSO MUST WATCH- don't force them if your loading press jams up. I was used to W-W SR for major loads in my LTD gun-much harder, never had a problem. Had two Federal's blow up in my 650 cause I didn't have a light touch! So just be careful.

Guest Larry Cazes

I have had pretty good luck with winchester WST powder, 180 gr. west coast RNFP plated bullets, and winchester SP primers, with an OAL of 1.190". I load to 170pf and this load shoots as soft as VV320 but a whole lot cheaper and much easier to get the WST powder. Last 8lb keg of WST cost me $90.00 from Powder Valley. Use a fairly heavy crimp for best results.

The only thing you gotta watch with WST is it is temperature sensitive. If you test thru a chrono at a lower temp then at a major match you can drop from major to minor or minor to "just for fun" unless you compensate for it. I used to use it in .45 for LTD.

Cy,

4.7g in your Glock?? G35? I get there (at the longer OAL, even) with 4.3g. And, that is with my KKM barrel, which takes a touch more powder than the glock barrel.

3.5g for minor.

Flex - I shoot a G22 so I need it slightly hotter than a G35.

George:

If and when you start, we will se you up and give you all the gory details. It really is no big deal. As long as you are mechanically inclined, no how to read and follow directions, it is as safe as IPSC shooting! :lol:

Dave M.

.....and you can't forget to put pieces back in the press when disassembling it for cleaning....... :lol::lol:

Cy,

4.7g in your Glock??  G35?  I get there (at the longer OAL, even) with 4.3g.  And, that is with my KKM barrel, which takes a touch more powder than the glock barrel.

3.5g for minor.

Cy,

Your load is using a LOT more powder than in any other Glock I have seen. No doubt it is perfect in your gun, I just wanted to get the info out there for any new reloaders that might be looking to steal a recipe, instead of properly working up a load.

Cy,

4.7g in your Glock??  G35?  I get there (at the longer OAL, even) with 4.3g.  And, that is with my KKM barrel, which takes a touch more powder than the glock barrel.

3.5g for minor.

Cy,

Your load is using a LOT more powder than in any other Glock I have seen. No doubt it is perfect in your gun, I just wanted to get the info out there for any new reloaders that might be looking to steal a recipe, instead of properly working up a load.

Good point.

I can make major with about 4.3 grains or so, but I like the feel better with 4.7.

Flex,

For TG with a 180, OAL 1.125, West Coast RNFP, I chron'd yesterday it took 4.6 for me to get a 168PF (with an 8.8 SD)... what kind of bullet are you using to make Major at 4.3? (I walked up frmo 3.6 to 4.8)

There's only about 100 rounds through this pistol, maybe they loosen up that much?

Berkim,

My load for 40 Major, Glock 35 with KKM barrel...

- Zero 180g JHP

- OAL 1.130 - 1.135

- Federal SP

- Winchester once fired brass (mostly)

- 4.3g of TG

I used to use 4.2g, but bump up a grain so that I could run the sam ammo out og the G20 we have (with a KKM 40 barrel).

Before that, I had the Glock Factory barrel in there, I recall needing even less to get to Major comfortably.

I do have a new jug of powder and a new lot of primers...maybe I had better go chrono again.

TG does vary from lot to lot. When I was buying 1lb jugs I would wait until I could grab a couple from the same lot. No one around here was stocking 8lb jugs. At least I assumed the orange stickers on the bottom of the jugs were lot numbers.

I found that there was a variation with TG between lots. It was small, but it was there.

My standard load had been 4.6gr at 1.140 with MG 180 CMJs. With some lots this was okay, with others I had to go to 4.7gr. With my new 8lb jug I had to go to 4.8gr.

Now, I virtually never change lots of primers when I change lots of powder but when I switched to the 8lb jug I had just started on a new lot of primers at the same time...just out of coincidence. So not all the variance may be due to the powder alone.

The lesson here, of course, is that when any component changes one must go play with the chrono again just to know what is going on.

I doubt these changes would ever be so significant as to cause catastrophic failure but if you are running right on the bleeding edge it sure could make life a bit too interesting.