Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Shotgun Loads

Why1504

Usually anything under 1250 is considered light. But there are some huge differences. 1200 = Target load, 1145 = Light Target, 1100 = Low Recoil, 980 = Very low recoil. Buck and slugs, low recoil is typically 1150 to 1200, but there are differences there too.

1145s and 1200s are probably the most common and they should run most autos if set up correctly.

My lightened M2 shoots the Winchester AA Light Target Loads at 1145fps (#7.5 or #8) all day long. For slugs I use the Fiocchi Aero low recoil 7/8oz at 1300fps and the recoil is pretty much the same as the birdshot. I have a case of Fiocchi low recoil 00 buck, but I don't remember the exact specs as I have shot exactly nine rounds of that all year...

I went down to the 1145fps after shooting Super-Handicap 1300fps almost exclusively; the improvement in my split times is quite noticeable, although the heavier loads did knock down the 15+ yard steel targets with a little more authority. :)

What will you be shooting at? Light loads could be higher velocity but lower felt recoil by decreasing shot charge. If you don't need a big shot charge, 3/4oz at 1200fps has noticeably reduced felt recoil compared to 1oz at 1100fps.

I’m with Benny. A lot of the clay target guys I shoot with preach 1oz loads...patterns just as good...less recoil they say - But I’m thinking every now and then that extra 1/8 oz of shot might be all that hits the target and I’ll take all the help I can get.

Edited by GunCat

I’m with Benny. A lot of the clay target guys I shoot with preach 1oz loads...patterns just as good...less recoil they say - But I’m thinking every now and then that extra 1/8 oz of shot might be all that hits the target and I’ll take all the help I can get.

useed to shoot a lot of s/c 10-12 big shoots a yr. i shot victory form greece. been shootng 3 gun for about 15 or so yrs. shot victory's the last 3 yrs. 1.oz only 71/2s at along stuff and steel same in 81/2's only 2 i needed at the last 2 rock castle. pro am had a stage at steel was at least 50 yds. i/m and 71/2's did just fine would not change a thing or reshoot 2 times free.

ummv

jjw

• 2 weeks later...

We run 1145 everything, shot, buck, slugs.

you loading or buying?? and where and what is some good starting places to buy low recoil shells in both slug and bird shot, im not going to load shotgun shells

I've shot about 10 cases of 1oz 1200fps "Low Recoil" Loads this year. They work great in my m2 and pump guns. And I haven't had a problem taking down any target I've come across.

I am also partial to 1145fps AAs. But only because they are easier to find.

We run 1145 everything, shot, buck, slugs.

you loading or buying?? and where and what is some good starting places to buy low recoil shells in both slug and bird shot, im not going to load shotgun shells

A couple to start you off...

http://www.basspro.com/Winchester-AA-Low-Recoil-Low-Noise-Target-Loads-Shotshells/product/67999/

http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammo/fiocchi-ultra-low-recoil-shotgun-ammunition-prod43141.aspx

I don't know if you will find a store bought low-recoil slug or buckshot...

Edited by kamikaze1a

Given how tight supplies are at the retail level, finding almost any ammo is a dicey proposition.

I use Fiocchi slugs with 7/8 oz and 1300 fps. Bought two ammo "cans" (plastic) of 80 count each. Should set me up for another year or more.

Some Rio low recoil (1150fps) bird shot was in stock at Natchez online.