Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass prep for 9x19 major

Chuckie45

I recently purchased an open 2011 from Akai Custom. It has the new Schuemann AET barrel in 9x19.

I'm getting an unacceptable level of rejects when I chamber check my loads for it. 20/350 that won't chamber.

Equipment: I am using lee dies including the factory crimp die.

Brass: mixed range brass

Case prep: tumbled with corn media and checked for length

What can I do to get a higher percentage to fit this camber?

I use the same process with 40 and 45 and have 100% chamber check rate with them.

Thanks,

Chuck

Push thru isn't too helpful with the tapered 9x19 case, at least for me. I use Dillon dies properly adjusted and have no trouble with minor PF loads. I turn the sizer die down as far as I can so it just clears the shell plate.

Could be a tight or short chamber in the new barrel. How do factory rounds check in that chamber? Could be the bullet profile combined with the occasional long OAL masquerading as base not being sized enough.

I do not care for the FCD with pistol cases because it resizes the entire case again. This caused me some trouble with 45ACP so I quit using them. Plain taper crimp works fine and doesn't distort the case so much.

Following with interest.

Hello: Make sure the bullet is not touching the rifling in the barrel if you are using the barrel as a gauge. I load to 1.170" OAL using Montana Gold 115JHP's. I am using the standard Dillon die and coming right down to the plate. I use a piece of paper so that the die does not hit too hard against the plate. Some powders are harder on the brass than others. 3N37 works the brass pretty hard. I do use a Case pro on range pickup brass before the first loading. I also seperate the brass with the same headstamp. Again some brass is better than others. I load on a RL1050 and like once fired milatary spec brass with the crimp. I have loaded some of those 7 times now. I am now using the EGW 7 round case gauge since it is tighter than the Dillon and is reamed like my barrels. Thanks, Eric

You didn't mention what bullets you're using... not lead, are they?

As Aircooled mentioned, have you tried shortening your load a bit?

Montana Gold 115 HP

I'm not formilure with the case-pro but I will look into it.

Its defiantly wideness at the base, not the bullet engaging the rifling.

My sizing dies are as low as possible. Only way to get lowed would be to grind off the tapped entry to the die. Should I do this?

Also of note, the AET barrel has 6 .003" grooves in the camber. Schuemann says it add accuracy by aiding uniform case expansion at the mouth, centering the bullet in the barrel..

Thanks for all the replies.

Hello: Have you tried factory 9mm to see how it is? I like Schuemann barrels but I am not a fan of the AET barrels. When I Case Pro brass that has been shot through a AET barrel you can feel the ribs in the brass as it gets resized. I would try a EGW "U" die next to see if that solves the bulge at the base. If that still does not solve the problem I would either use brass that has been shot through your gun only or get a Case Pro. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Make sure the bullet is not touching the rifling in the barrel if you are using the barrel as a gauge. Thanks, Eric

I'll be darned. It was the bullet engaging the rifling. I reduced my AOL from 1.165 to 1.145. Now they drop in and out just fine.

-Chuck

Hello: Make sure the bullet is not touching the rifling in the barrel if you are using the barrel as a gauge. Thanks, Eric

I'll be darned. It was the bullet engaging the rifling. I reduced my AOL from 1.165 to 1.145. Now they drop in and out just fine.

-Chuck

Hello: Lots of times it is just the simple things that mess you up. Human nature makes us go to the most difficult things first. When I was a kid I bought a motorcycle one time that would not stay running. It looked good but the owner did almost every thing to get it running right. It ended up to have water in the gas since he washed the bike alot and the gas cap leaked. Look for the simple things first is the lesson learned. I would get the throat opened up so you can load to 1.170". I have done this to all my 9mm open pistols. Thanks, Eric

For consistency, I always sort the purchased "range pick-up" brass by headstamp, tumble and then run it through a CasePro resizing machine. The CasePro is designed to remove the bulge at the bottom of the case by rolling it between two dies that are caliber specific. The dies "squeeze" the case from the bottom to the top, eliminating the bulge.

More information can be found at the CasePro100 website (<-- click).

There are times that a used CasePro appears in the classified section of this site, but they usually are snapped up very quickly.

BC

machine%20for%20website%20new.jpg