Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Coach needs some shotgun info

anilson

Hi shotgunners

I coach the University of Vermont pistol team. We also have shot gun team that needs some help with gear.

I know next to nothing about shotguns other then point at the thing in the air and hit it. I run a slp in 3 gun but that does help with the trap and skeet team much.

Questions: This is for a team with new shooters and a few experienced shooters. Shooting mostly trap.

1: what type of guns work the best(auto, over under, other)? also best gun for the money?

2: what gun would you use for a team gun? Lots of different shooters/rounds not a lot of maintenance.

3: if you were coaching a team with different shooters what length/weight gun would you run.

Top two or three sizes

4: hear a lot of good things about 3guners using versa max, would versa max work for trap?

Thanks for the Help

Adam

Adam I am the Pistol and Shotgun coach for the South Texas Shooter SPP/4H shotgun team. I have found the best gun for the money to be the Beretta 3901 it's cheap and it runs. http://www.berettausa.com/products/3901-citizen-synthetic/ I remember talking with some of the kids from U of V at ACUI this year in San Antonio. My daughter Shea shoots ACUI.

Hello: Listen to Mark, he helped me out alot with gear choice. I would say get a used Beretta 391 in 12 gauge since they don't make them anymore. There are lots of good ones out there and they last. I would try to get a target model with either a 30" or 32" barrel for trap. Use a modified choke and 1 1/8oz loads of #8 shot. That will give you great results at the 16 yard line. I have been shooting trap for only about 8 months and I am still learning. As a note the new Beretta A400 is having some problems so I would stay away from those. The Versa max is alright but the Beretta 391 is better. I have both and like the Beretta. My 391 has over 2000 rounds with only a light cleaning and it runs great. I have 5 Beretta 391's, 4 are 12gauge and one is a 20 gauge. You will also need a shell catcher so the other guys don't get testy. Let me know if you need any more info about the 391's. I may even sell one of mine. Thanks, Eric

My first choice would be trying to find a 391, BUT damn people still think they are gold!!!

Mark: They are gold since the A400 has not been what people thought they should be. Paying $1000 for a shotgun that will last a lifetime is not a bad deal I think. 3901 have a following and sell for more than what most people bought them for. At least the 391 at half of what they were new seems like a bargain. My Tekneys was listed at $2400 when new but I bought my slightly used one for $1200. Seems like alot but my Versa Max was more than that new and not in the same league as the 391 for clay sports. I also like the fact I can buy parts for the Beretta in the aftermarket that are very well made by Briley etc. Thanks, Eric

391 if you can find an older one is a good choice and the parallel comb version is nice especially if you have the adj comb cut on it. Avoid the OU as its a nice gun but to get a decent one is gonna cost a good chunk of change and if something breaks its more costly to repair. The Semi Auto is easily repaired if need be. As for length of the gun a 28 or 30 inch barrel is fine and 12 ga is the way to go. The 12 ga actually will have less recoil with light loads than a dedicated 20 ga gun. I wouldn't worry too much about the gun being too heavy as proper technique make the weight easily managed. I use to shoot in HS/College with some small ladies that could swing a 10+ pound tubed OU better than alot of 250 pound guys out there by having good technique and form. I actually started the college team when I was in college and a personal gun was best and what the more serious people used but a 391 should be able to work and fit alot of people pretty decent at least

Adam I am the Pistol and Shotgun coach for the South Texas Shooter SPP/4H shotgun team. I have found the best gun for the money to be the Beretta 3901 it's cheap and it runs. http://www.berettausa.com/products/3901-citizen-synthetic/ I remember talking with some of the kids from U of V at ACUI this year in San Antonio. My daughter Shea shoots ACUI.

The 3901 has been replaced by the 300. The 3901 is basically the same as a 390 but made in the US instead of Italy. The 300 is basically the same as a 391 but made in the US instead of Italy. They "retire" the old model when replaced and bring the tooling here to build "budget" guns,.

Either a 3901 or 300 would be a great choice.

if you were coaching a team with different shooters what length/weight gun would you run.
Top two or three sizes

Currently, the fashion in length is for longer barrels 30'' in semiauto and 32'' in O/U. It is the stock that sees most of the fitting.. I've shot with a couple women, in the running for the Olympic Team. that shot heavy long guns. The stocks were fitted, however. I love err like 391s but... I usually don't recommend a gun I have not used but the new Remington Synthetic Competition 1100 certainly appears to have some merit. http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/shotguns/model-1100/model-1100-competition-synthetic.aspx

Seems like the 391 is the best choice, Lets keep the thread going if there are other ideas as i am sure others have the same questions. I will start the hunt for some 391s

thanks

Adam

O/U's would be the most reliable and the safest IMHO. You can tell at a distance if it can 'fire or not'. Easy to load, manipulate, etc.

But, cost is very high compared to the auto's.

Beretta autos are a good choice, but as mentioned I would still look at Remington 1100's.

Low-recoil, good shooting guns that will require more "care" than the Beretta...however.

Auto's for trap...no less than 28"...no more than 30" for new shooters IMO.

I'd use 1 oz. loads, 1200 FPS max for new shooters. Recoil is distracting at first.

Good luck.

Hello: If it has the straight 391 carrier order a 390 bent one if you are going to shoot doubles or skeet. Some of the early 391's did have the bent carrier. Buy Seamus O'Caiside Beretta 391 Disassembly book on Shotgun World forum. I would also replace the recoil spring. Clean the gas ports to start off. Screw in a modified choke for trap and go. Thanks, Eric

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...