Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a new Shotgun, M2, VersaMax or Vinci?

Cap

I ordered a M2 4 weeks ago and sent it directly to Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports. This was not the least expensive option. But, my shotgun for the last 40 years was a Remington 1100. 3 years ago I began saving for a new shotgun that I expect to fulfill my scattergun requirements for the rest of my life and be used by my son and son in law after I am gone. In the end, the cost difference will be about $1000-$1200. But, I will own argue ably the best and it will last. Had I bought a Mossberg and had problems I doubt I would have been very happy and would have begun looking for the next upgrade. 10 years shooting a minimum of 2500 shells a year amortized this cost difference per shot at $.04. Not free but after dealing with gun problems on lesser weapons I view this as a small price to pay.

Obviously, this may not work for you but for me it was an easy decision.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, what kind of sights does it have? An XS rear sight on the rib?

Mick

Fiber front like the tactical and an xs rear in the rib.

Why hasn't the FN SLP sight setup taken over as the go to solution? Flipping that rear sight down out of the way seems like the best option. I had an XS dovetailed into the back of my vent rib and it lasted about one match because it stopped me from looking down the vent rib. I had to prairie dog my head to see a full bead half the time and then I'd shoot high over the targets.

I wish Taran Tactical would start producing and selling a sight set like the SLP has.

I run my milled in sights low enough to not have the prairie dog, but then again I ran a plain barrel with full rifle sights without issue. Hell ran a few 25 straights in skeet with them.

I'm sure with practice anything will work. I had the bottom of the V at the top of the rib. Then I took a round file to the bottom of the V too open it up more. On the clock I guess my eyes just didn't like what they were or weren't seeing.

I wish Taran Tactical would start producing and selling a sight set like the SLP has.

We've built several with the Lyman (same as the FNH) sight sunk into the VR on Versa-Max shotguns. I'll be taking Chuck's with me to Crimson Trace, so you can always ask him to take a peek at it.

Nobody seems to mention the SBE2. 3.5" loading gate, and Benelli made quality. Is it the cost that keep people away?

I know a few guys that use them simply be Shaw they had one for hunting or find one cheap used. It's a solid 3 gun shotgun just not necessary to have the 3.5" shells.

I own Benelli M1 and Versamax. I actually also took a friends Taran 21"M2 Comfortech and our AA custom Versamax and shot 125 rounds side by side. Both were tricked out with all the bells and whistles. Both guns ran with no jams.

Here's the skinny on the differences that probably can't be debated much. I am not going to mention the smaller differences, just the ones that stand out as most important after 8 weeks ago. We can all debate the degree of importance of each attribute. Each shooter and their experience will probably place different attributes in different priorities. This is just the big stuff.

VERSAMAX...

+++ loads easier when two/four loading (3.5" load port).

++ less recoil feel (heavier weight and gas system)

+ less expensive

- - a lot of fine tuning and polishing to get it to competition ready. POI/POA (definantly send to a good gun smith).

- quality of finish a notch below.

- - Longevity not proven.

BENELLI M1 M2.....

++++ quicker transitions (lighter barrel helps swing and stop)

+++proven design and longevity.

- - recoil

Both ran great. I actually shot my Versamax one day at the Nordic Comp Shot Champ and my Benelli the second day. Once again what ever you shoot better.

Roxy I agree with you 100%. I weak hand load and think its easier to load my Benelli but have a ton more loads through it. I can see why those who load two/four like the Versa Max. I have a Versa Max but it has yet to be problem free where both of my Benelli have never had a issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Are the Versamax all stamped 3.5"? I talked to a local guy here who said some models are stamped 3" but can run 3.5".

Read this before, I think from a Rem Engineer. The 3.5" recoil is too much force on the shell catch with the 6-8 3.5" shells in the tube. Think about a 3.5" load recoiling the shells towards the muzzle and then slamming on the shell catch latch. Shell catch/bolt release not designed for that type of punishment. Therefore labeled 3" when they added the tube.