Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone want to give me some advise on what CZ to buy?

Cundiff5535

Hey guys, I am going to be in the market for a CZ very soon! I am going to tell you all what I typically do with my pistols as well as what I like in a pistol. I am hoping based off that, a few of you will give me a solid recommendation on what I should buy!

1. I like an all steel frame, no Poly

2. SA action only

3. I am 1911 single stack guy so 3lb or sub 3lb trigger pull with as little take up as I can get is what I am wanting

4. Adjustable rear sight... and prefer precision vs just hitting the target so I typically like .100 front with a rear that just a little room for sight alignment.

5. 9mm

In saying that, I do not shoot Limited or any other game. Currently I am shooting 90% range with some very good shooters. We shoot for fun at the moment... I may look into gaming type shooting down the line but, right now, I am not going that route!

I am also a long slide lover... at least 5.25"...6" on some of my 1911's are awesome to!

I looked at CZ's website and came out thinking that the CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Target, or the CZ 75 Shadow CTS LS-P seemed like smart choices. I have also thought about a plain old 75 (stainless)... sending it into the custom shop for trigger work, sights, etc...

I feel like I am all over the board. Not to mention, other than the CTS LS I cant tell much difference in any of them other than sights. I have heard about the accushadow bushing and would probably want to get that as well but, I am not sure.

Thoughts, help..

Thanks

I already own a CTS Custom (which is one of my favorite pistols)... I feel as though the TS and the CTS Custom are very similar. Additionally, I have to order mine direct from CZ (I have a Certificate to burn up).

In saying that, I just hopped back onto the CZ sight and looked at what prices were on these things. I was not wanting to drop 1300+ on a new pistol...grrr:)

I also noticed that some the majority of the pistols were DA/SA... not SA only. Can you guys give me your thoughts on the DA/SA action. As I pointed out about, I am a SA 1911 shooter and have never been able to get used to a DA type pistol. With that said, I really have only shot HK USP and Sig DAK DA/SA pistols.... way to much lbs on the trigger for what I would want.

What do you guys think of the following:

Shadow T

75 Stainless

Shadow SA

Those seem to be in my price range and I feel like I could add what I am missing out on later...

Thoughts?

I have the shadow custom and I really enjoy it. I would like to have a shadow target with adjustable a but I got my shadow cheap. Any if the custom guns are going to have really nice DA/SA triggers. People that shoot mine are always amazed by it. It's not as nice as a 1911 trigger but it comes close for how it works.

I have an SP01 Shadow with light springs, short reset trigger and a CZC action job which is about the best you can get with a DA/SA and it's not even in the same ballpark as my Tactical Sport. The Shadow trigger pull is about 5 1/2# DA and #2 1/2 SA, whereas with the race hammer and light polishing the TS is a crisp 1 1/2# with just over 2mm of travel from stop to stop. No center fire pistol I've handled comes close. I even have a Tanfoglio with Henning's trigger, race hammer and Huening's roller plunger; it's just as light, but with much more travel.

Any of the 75 series pistols can be converted to SAO using the TS parts and have a very crisp 2 1/2# pull, but the TS has a unique trigger bar which enhances it's potential.

If the TS is too much money, I suggest you get a plain Jane SP01 (or 75SA if you prefer the short dust cover), convert it to SAO using the CZ SAO race hammer (when you can find one), remove the firing pin block and have CZ Custom cut it for whatever sights you want.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I got a Shadow Custom with short reset trigger and a competition trigger job last winter. I have been very pleased with the gun. The DA/SA did not take long to get used to and with the short reset trigger there is very little take up, very similar to a good 1911 trigger! This was my first CZ and I would definately buy another. After shooting it a bit the only thing I changed was the safeties. Went with the shadow thin safeties and now the gun is perfect.

Ok, I think I have this down to two pistols... I its going to be between a Shadow T or a Stainless 75. Regardless, I am going to get it changed over to a SA only pistol. I am also going to get a ton of stuff done at the custom shop. Since I love Stainless pistols, I am leaning more toward the 75 and just upgrading it to my exact specs. Thoughts here?

what are you going to use your CZ for?

you get Shadow Custom for production div and CTS custom 40 cal for limited. Buy either depending on your purpose but go with the custom versions.

Man, I really, really want a stainless gun! I keep going back to the 75b and Shadow T. This is for accuracy shooting and range use only. I WILL NOT be shooting any competitions with it so random rules do not apply to my buying decision. I talked to the guys at CZ custom shop and they said that they thought the Shadow line was the way to go due to the slide being different and having the ability to add the accu-shadow bushing. Is bushing it worth it? Either way, its going to be converted to SA and I am going to ask to have the pistols trigger resemble my CTS Customs trigger as much as possible.... This is starting to piss me off as I do not know what one to order.

Oh, the wait time.... Stainless 75 would be sent right away, the Shadow T has quit a long wait time until it would get sent out.

Someone talk some sense into me on this...

Bobby,

If its a target pistol and only a target pistol then trigger and sight radius should be the most important aspects of your buying criteria.

Any pistol with no firing pin block would be a good idea.