Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting Limited Pro to Single Action Only (SAO)

djb25

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a Limited Pro in 9mm. As most of you probably know, it came from the factory with a DA/SA trigger - and not a great one. No overtravel stop, etc.

I'm using the gun in local IDPA matches, and for the first match I shot the pistol in the SSP category, starting with a DA first shot.

Again, the DA pull is not great (although I do have some lower power hammer springs on the way). Moreover, I'm not sure that the pistol is actually legal to shoot in SSP. It does weigh exactly 43 oz. according to my postal scale, but I'm not sure it makes the minimum production requirements. I think it will fit in the box, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

So - considering the questionable legality of the gun in SSP, I'm considering converting the pistol to single action only and shooting ESP. I see that I can either purchase the factory SAO trigger for around $75 or buy Henning's flat trigger system for $125.

My brother and I compared my pistol to his 9mm Match, and we noticed that the Match used a different hammer than the Limited Pro. The hammer profile was the same, but the bottom of the hammer was split on mine, while his was solid.

Also for comparison - his trigger pull is a consistent 2.75 or so lbs, while mine is closer to 4.75... His pistol has the factory "slightly curved" SAO trigger that comes with the Match model.

My question is - if I convert to SAO, do I have to also replace the sear or the hammer, or will the DA/SA parts work? Does the Henning trigger require a new sear and hammer?

And lastly - should I spend the extra money on the Henning trigger system? I really like the trigger on my brother's match - is there much advantage in going with the Henning trigger? And yes, I know that trigger preference is subjective, but feel free to give me your opinions.

With springs and polishing, you can make it have a better trigger. Replace the trigger with one from a Stock II and you will get the over travel screw also.

Or you can sell me your Limited Pro and use the cash to buy a pistol you like? PM me if interested!

With springs and polishing, you can make it have a better trigger. Replace the trigger with one from a Stock II and you will get the over travel screw also.

Or you can sell me your Limited Pro and use the cash to buy a pistol you like? PM me if interested!

Ha! I do like my limited pro - although I would like it more if it were a small frame. The only other pistol I've considered buying is a Shadow, and they're about as hard to come by as the Limited Pro (if not more so).

I already did polish pretty much all of the internals, and I imagine once I get a lower power mainspring I'll have a pretty decent trigger.

However - if I'm going to end up shooting the gun in ESP, I may as well have the better SAO trigger.

I think all you need is just a single action trigger. Then just remove interrupter from the hammer.

If you gonna shoot esp see if you can get rid of firing pin block and get extended firing pin from henning.

I think all you need is just a single action trigger. Then just remove interrupter from the hammer.

If you gonna shoot esp see if you can get rid of firing pin block and get extended firing pin from henning.

+1, I have a stock II that I had setup for limited and did exactly that.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the info.

I don't think I can remove the firing pin block, I don't think IDPA allows the removal of any "safety devices." The shadows get away with it because they come like that from the factory.

I don't think I can remove the firing pin block, I don't think IDPA allows the removal of any "safety devices." The shadows get away with it because they come like that from the factory.

Try getting xtreme firing pin and hammer, that should work reliably with light hammer spring

+1, I have a stock II that I had setup for limited and did exactly that.

Are you shooting it 9mm minor or do you have the 40

Try getting xtreme firing pin and hammer, that should work reliably with light hammer spring

get the sear from the single action gun...it is longer and makes the reset better.

Anyone know of a good source for the "xtreme" components? Does EAA sell them?

As for the single action sear being better - can I order the sear from a Match from EAA? Is that the sear you're referring to? Or is the sear in the Limited or "eric" models different?

Finally - is there any advantage to the xtreme firing pin over Henning's firing pin?

get the sear from the single action gun...it is longer and makes the reset better.

As for the single action sear being better - can I order the sear from a Match from EAA? Is that the sear you're referring to? Or is the sear in the Limited or "eric" models different?

Finally - is there any advantage to the xtreme firing pin over Henning's firing pin?

About firing pins, Henning's will not work with firing pin block where Xtreme will

I ordered grips from http://www.ericgrauffel.com/shop/

shipping was reasonable and it only took a week and a half to get here

Ok, I got the factory sao trigger installed today (thanks to kneelingatlas for the trigger).

First and most significant - the trigger return spring in my gun did not work with the sao trigger. It was too wide and the leg that fits into the trigger was too long. I managed to install it after cutting the leg, but it actually bound up the trigger pretty tight. I ended up bending an extra beretta spring that I had in the parts cache. That really helped the trigger pull.

I have to say - henning's trigger might be worth the money just for the improved trigger return spring setup. The factory setup is a pain to install.

On the positive side, with a 13lbs wolff mainspring my trigger pull dropped from 4.75 lbs with the SA/DA trigger to 2.75 lbs.

However - the 2.75 lbs is with a lighter weight trigger return spring, the 13 lbs mainspring, and two coils cut off the plunger spring.

It remains to be seen if the 13 lbs mainspring will result in light strikes. I may end up ordering the extreme firing pin just to be safe, although I do have the 14 and 15 lbs wolff springs as well.

Anyone happen to know what the standard mainspring is in the limited pro?

I have to say - henning's trigger might be worth the money just for the improved trigger return spring setup. The factory setup is a pain to install.

I have the Henning trigger in my Hunter and it's pretty sweet to adjust, the only downside is that it's has square edges (I prefer a rounded trigger). Also, because you have to ream the holes in the frame to .100", there's no going back to the factory trigger pin, the Henning trigger pin is great, but you have to ream all your triggers to fit it.

I use CGW reduced power trigger return springs designed for CZ in my Tanfos. The trigger return spring is easy to install once you make a slave pin: cut a nail to the same width as the trigger, install the TRS in the trigger outside of the pistol, insert the slave pin then install the trigger, the slave pin holds the spring in the trigger, than the trigger pin pushes it out.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I'll have to try the CGW trigger spring (if I have trouble with my diy spring).

I may have to order an sao hammer as well. I've noticed the sao hammer has a shorter release.

Anyone have a hammer from a limited for sale? Or from a match?

That hammer in the Limited Pro *should* be the same as the ones in the Limited and Match. The one Limited Pro I've worked on had the same hammer, just with an interrupter on it. The travel to release the sear on it also was much shorter than the DA/SA guns with the standard DA/SA hammer.

I will be working on one this week and I can give you more info.

I have the Henning trigger in my Hunter and it's pretty sweet to adjust, the only downside is that it's has square edges (I prefer a rounded trigger). Also, because you have to ream the holes in the frame to .100", there's no going back to the factory trigger pin, the Henning trigger pin is great, but you have to ream all your triggers to fit it.

When did this change? I have the Henning trigger pin on my Match, Limited, and Hunter and didn't need to ream anything...?

That didn't change..... I have used the Henning trigger pin/screw on many EAA/Tanfo pistols and never had to ream out the frame. The only things that Henning suggests to ream is the Sear and Hammer when using his sear and hammer pins. I have never seen any requirement or recommendation to ream any of the pin holes on the frame.

I may have to order an sao hammer as well. I've noticed the sao hammer has a shorter release.

From what I've seen other are only two Tanfoglio hammers: the standard hammer and the heart shaped race hammer with shorter hooks. I believe both have a hole for the DA disconnector; my SAO Hunter came with the same hammer as all my DA Tanfos, minus the disco. Edited by kneelingatlas

From what I've seen other are only two Tanfoglio hammers: the standard hammer and the heart shaped race hammer with shorter hooks. I believe both have a hole for the DA disconnector; my SAO Hunter came with the same hammer as all my DA Tanfos, minus the disco.

I've read this same thing in several other places, but I am pretty sure this is not correct.

Here's a picture of a Tanfoglio single action "delta" hammer from a Tanfoglio distributor in Canada:

pr04.jpg

The difference is in the hooks on the hammer. They are not split into two like they are in the hammer in my Limited Pro. In other words, you can't install the DA disconnector thing with an SA hammer (same source, "double action delta hammer"):

pr06.jpg

The photos are from Freedom Ventures in Canada, btw.

And just for reference, here's the new "xtreme" hammer:

xeg-hammer.jpg

Apparently the xtreme hammer is the same for DA/SA and SAO guns.

I've only looked at two SAO Tanfoglios, a Match dated 2012 and a Limited Custom dated 2013, but both had a hammer like the SAO hammer pictured above. Neither had the cut or the hole for the DA disconnector.

Edited by djb25