Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mercury guide rods

Bear1142

I have 2 of them. One I have in my P226 9mm and have also used it in my P220 45. I notice a slightly softened recoil snap. It is a bit more noticable in the 45 than the 9mm.

I also use one in my P18-9mm Para Ordnance.

Years ago I got sent two of these things, one for a SIG P220/P226, the other for a 1911. I was kind of turned off on the concept, as soon as I opened the shipping box and noted the droplets of silver mercury inside the plastic sleeve where the 1911 rod had sprung a leak before it was ever even put into a gun. Tried the other one in a P226. Honestly the only effect I noticed was not reduced recoil but a really strange, I'd almost call it a secondary recoil impulse through the gun when firing. I didn't like it, and greatly prefer my guide rods be simply steel.

The Harrts recoil rods were all the rage 10 years ago. Then they disappeared from the face of the earth only to reappear again recently to drain a new generation of hapless shooters of their hard-earned dollars.

The theory is that you're reducing recoil by dragging mercury across ball bearings that remain stationary in space while the gun recoils around them - thus dissipating some of the energy in viscous friction. The only way in hell it could work is if the ball bearings were made of material 5 times denser than uranium. The steel ball bearings accelerate right back with the gun, thank you very much. In the end, the Harrts is an overpriced, underperforming frame weight.

And yes, I have used on in a Glock (hell no I didn't buy one) with absolutely no difference in muzzle flip. Theory and reality remain miles apart on this one. They didn't work then and they won't work any better now. Save your money for a Ron Popeil Pocket Fisherman.

Tried one several years ago. Took a perfectly functioning pistol and turned it into a jam-a-matic unless I held it muzzle high for a minute before firing. Screw that.

I had a pocket fisherman I used to carry in my service van when I was working in the McCall/Cascade area in central Idaho. I would spend my lunch hours (and more) fishing with it. Worked better than the mecury guide rod ever did.

I had a friend who had a Pocket Fisherman,would not sell it to me because his mother bought it for him.He left it in the trunk of a car that he sold.I ragged on him for months afterwards.

I use a Mercury guide rod in my P16-40 and it does help dampen muzzle flip. It's not because of any pseudoscience like the claims for the Harts, it's because it is much heavier than steel.

My rod is made of steel and is hollow and filled with Mercury - no ball bearings etc. Because Mercury is much heavier than steel or even tungsten it is a good way to give a little more muzzle weight in the muzzle light Para. If you can find a hollow rod and get your gunsmith to fill it with Mercury it will be at least a half ounce heavier than the same steel rod.

It works for me but your results may vary because it's a balance between barrel weight and rod weight. I don't think there is any real advantage to having the Mercury sluice around inside the rod. Mine is just filled up and capped with a set screw.

I use one in my limited gun (I'm one of the few) and it works for me, but I'm not so sure about the Sig. The diameter of the guide rod is much smaller and shorter. I have some doubts about its ability, but I guess I'll have to spring for it and give it a try. Anybody know where you can get solid guide rods for a Sig 226? Either steel or Tungstun?

Erik

In my G35, for me, the "difference" was more of a function of spring weight than of any differences between the stock rod and the Hartt's (hey, it came with the gun). I've come full circle on the weight thing with Glocks: stock rod if you're cheap, steel if you want the security of a rod that won't bend, snap, chip, whatever. Titanium? Gimmicky in the other direction, IMO. As far as magwells, I'll take plastic. That is not, however, necessarily how I like my 2011s setup.

Ditto, Had one about 10 yrs ago in a sig 220. Nothing, Nada I thought it was a waste of my $, Yep EricW I fell for that crap! :angry:

Ivan

Don't feel bad, I almost did too. Fortunately, a guy that lived nearby was an early adopter and I got to shoot his gun before my hard-earned dinero swirled down the bowl.

Topic drift mode: on. One "new" innovation that seems to reduce recoil is the 2-spring recoil system that Glock uses on their smallest guns (i.e. Glock 26/27); I was surprised as to how little these guns seem to recoil. Appears to me the be a sort of Glock factory "recoil master" - though I believe the Glock 26/27 preceded the recoil master by a few years. Could such a system be developed for Sigs & full-sized Glocks?

Topic drift mode: on. One "new" innovation that seems to reduce recoil is the 2-spring recoil system that Glock uses on their smallest guns (i.e. Glock 26/27); I was surprised as to how little these guns seem to recoil. Appears to me the be a sort of Glock factory "recoil master" - though I believe the Glock 26/27 preceded the recoil master by a few years. Could such a system be developed for Sigs & full-sized Glocks?

It already is: http://www.sprinco.com/

One "new" innovation that seems to reduce recoil is the 2-spring recoil system that Glock uses on their smallest guns (i.e. Glock 26/27); I was surprised as to how little these guns seem to recoil.

This system was actually developed years ago by Larry Seecamp. It wasn't intended to reduce recoil, but rather to allow auto pistols with really short barrels - and correspondingly short recoil springs - to work by de facto stuffing more recoil spring in the same amount of space.