Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Bench

Franco79

It'd be hard to drill through, but if you could get it set up, I think it'd be pretty sweet. We had a granite counter top in my house growing up that cracked accross the middle, I believe due to heat / cold changes? I wonder if the repetitive load from the press would cause the granite to crack?

Look into soapstone. It's what they make chemistry lab table tops from. Cheaper than granite, much easier to work with, chemically impermeable. You can basically work it with good wood working tools and bits.

Then again, not sure what the advantage is to plain old wood.

Depends on the thickness but Granite will probably not hold up to the typical repetitive stress of the loading press. I used MDX with 16GA steel on top. I can see it flex a bit even though it is 1 1/2 inch thick and really heavily braced. I think unless you have industrial black granite like a layout table. That stuff is usually really thick though and free of fractures.

Saw it done with granite years ago. It looked great but cracked within a month and the guy was ticked. I like wood with outdoor carpet on top, prevents stuff rolling off.

I have 2 reloading benches I would go with an mdx top It's easy to work with inexpensive and smooth you just need to support it and edge it. Wouldn't do metal is wory about static with powder around. And carpet on top of your bench would collect powder and need to be vacuumed up and that's a no no too. Just my views on things not saying you should do it my way It's just the way I'd do it. By the way one of my benches has a coated piece of mdx on it and after a while it started comming off

I got the approval from the wife to convert the garage to living area for my man cave. I dont want to put a bench in there and let it look like sh*t.. So Im trying to figure out what is going to be best for me and look decent.

What goals are you trying to achieve with your surface selection? I assume easy to clean, durable, strong. Any others? Just wondering what drew your thoughts to granite and what you're looking to achieve.

I wouldn't imagine such a hard surface would be desirable for a bench. Maybe if it's purely used for reloading, but mine sees lots of gun cleaning duty as well. It hurts my mind to think about that pretty steel sliding around on granite.

For over 25 years I was in the cabinet making business and 10 of them self employed. My house has nothing but granite countertops except my reloading bench. That is plywood with laminate (aka Formica). I would never use a solid surface for a reloading bench. Too much flex action imparted by the machine and granite is unforgiving when it comes to flex. Corian and other solid surfaces are no better, especially when it's cold out. I've personally seen them shatter like glass when slightly impacted in the cold.

What about maple butcher block?

Usually pretty expensive but would be a solid foundation. Only drawback would be cosmetic. The chemicals it encounters as a reloading bench would permanently stain it eventually and it will show such soiling with no easy way to clean it.

Just a thought, for rugged but still plenty strong top. Make your own "chopping block" all you need is some ready rod, some 2x4's, fairly long wood screws, and wood glue. Layer the 2x4's as wide as you want glue in between the boards and use long wood screws just two at about 8" from the end to hold them together. Keep layering as thick as you want repeating the process. Then take a long auger bit and go through width of whole table top then run ready rod through and draw everything up tight. I used three, one on each end (6" from end) and one in middle. The thing to remember through the whole process is to keep all screws and ready rod on the bottom 2/3's of the top of the bench. Now the hardest part is finding someone with a planer to plane the whole thing for you to give it that nice flat smooth top.

All in all it's cheap to do, strong as all get out, and looks nice. The down side is it's a bit labor intensive and logistics might not be easy for you. Just something to think about.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I used 4 layers of 3/4 plywood and then topped it with some laminate flooring I got in an open box deal from Lowes for $7.00. Working very well. Laminate is easy to clean, smooth, but with a bit of texture. Secured it to the wall and floor and I am happy with how it turned out.

post-32731-0-87950400-1374760796_thumb.j

post-32731-0-48453400-1374761423_thumb.j

Edited by jlamphere

Just another thought you could do the same design that I mentioned, but instead of planing the top, a piece of 1/2" birch plywood wood be great. It's relatively cheep and looks good. If a section begins to look bad unscrew and flip it. I know it's not ideal but is cheap and would be easy to replace the top if something happened to it. Plus your still getting that durability.

Sent from my DROID RAZR