Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lone Ranger

The latest destruction of a classic. Could have been a good western, instead it was a lousy comedy. Poor acting, poor location selection (posse starts in Texas and Monument Valley, UT, is in the background), poor storyline. Even Silver (the horse, not the metal) is mocked. Johnny Depp's version of Tonto was, IMO, completely ridiculous. Jay Silverheels is rolling in his grave.

Made fun of the Lone Ranger, Made fun of Tonto, Made fun of Silver the horse, plot was okay, and no decent gunfights......Even with all of this going against it, it was still better than the Wild Wild West movie.

I am not sure where they spent the 200+ million used for the movie, but it does not show up in the finished product of the movie. At least you can see where they miss-spent the money in the Wild Wild West movie.

Edited by Blueridge

What about terribly overt product placement that just makes you want to gag...as though you WANTED to get a 4 minute commercial in the middle of your movie to go along with the $28 admittance fee?

• 6 months later...

I'd think it would be a "better" movie for people who didn't grow up with the original Lone Ranger radio show or movies. That way there wouldn't be any preconceived notions.

Yes, prior to TV there was a medium called radio. Remember the "Shadow", "Sky King", "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon" and a number of others ??? :roflol:

I'd think it would be a "better" movie for people who didn't grow up with the original Lone Ranger radio show or movies. That way there wouldn't be any preconceived notions.

Yes, prior to TV there was a medium called radio. Remember the "Shadow", "Sky King", "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon" and a number of others ??? :roflol:

I grew up with the Lone Ranger on TV once I was imported.....

And the acting was pretty wooden, by both Moore and Silverheels....

I don't watch remakes assuming they're going to be true to the original -- I assume they'll reinterpret the same source material.....

Honestly? No. :lol: Edited by mpolans

• 1 year later...

One of my buddies from high school played an extra when filming took place near Durango, CO. He was constantly plugging the movie via his Facebook account.

I finally watched the movie 2 weeks and I wasn't impressed.

I never even saw which character my buddy played. I think his part was edited out. Oh well.

Didn't go to see "The Legend of the Lone Ranger" in 1981. Did watch the TV Movie Pilot in 2003 and wasn't overly impressed. Defiantly didn't go to see the latest monstrosity.

Here's my thing... The original radio drama and TV show were from another era. It would be nearly impossible to recreate them because they were so unbelievably simpleminded; and I mean that in the best possible way. It would be like trying to bring back the dirigible as a mode of transportation - it's got no place in todays world.

This latest comedy could have been done without any reference to the Lone Ranger. It had nothing to do with the original so why burden it with that.