Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which fiber-optic front is best. Henning, EAA or Dawson

Nealio:

Are you suggesting that the aluminum Dawson's are too soft compared to the hard stainless of the Henning and that is part of the reason that shooters are having problems installing/retaining the Dawsons on their guns?

I think its more of operator error. I had significant issues with my first two Dawson sights. After I figured it all out thanks to the folks here, I have no issues with the Dawsons installed. On top of the the newly designed Dawson I installed on a third gun was even easier and its more solid.

The issue was really the "dimple" for the set screw. Dawson just now changed the design to move the location of the set screw to match the factory sight. Previously the screw was in the center. If a new dimple wasn't made in the slide, the tiny set screw didn't have much chance of holding the sight in place by friction alone, especially once things started to heat up.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what DJB25 said. My first mistake - not enough dimple. My second mistake - not enough loctite.

Dawson has increased the size of the set screw along with moving it to the stock set screw hole position.

They also lengthened the sight to fill the entire length. Maybe increases slightly more light to the fiber?

You'll notice the set screw in the stock sight screws into a recess drilled into the slide. The Henning sight (and the Dawson sight I believe as well) has a set screw in the middle which does not line up with that recess and just bottoms out in the dovetail; if you were to drill a recess and use a longer set screw, I think all your problems would be over.

I ordered a Dawson 180T on 8/5/13 and another 180T on 8/7/13. Both were short as you can see here and both came from Dawson.

I then bought two recent 160Ts one from Dawson and another from a local store that got his from Dawson recently. Both filled the gap.

8-1-20138-19-29AM_zpsef60090f.jpg

Were you using the sights on the same slide, or on different slides?

In other words, were the sights different lengths, or were the dovetails on the slides different?

I bought two front sights back in July. The set screw was still in the center (didn't line up with the factory depression), but they were the right length. My brother bought one last month, and it was the right length and had the updated set screw location.

• 3 weeks later...

Does Dawson's 180Tx100W pretty much same as Henning's 180Tx105W ?

Any idea if current Dawson has set screw forward, so no slide drilling is needed?

They have moved the set screw back to the factory position recently. I just installed two new Dawsons to replace two old Dawsons about a month ago.

Any idea if current Dawson has set screw forward, so no slide drilling is needed?

They have moved the set screw back to the factory position recently. I just installed two new Dawsons to replace two old Dawsons about a month ago.

Did u get 160 or 180 tall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went from 180T to 160T. My rear sight doesn't have to be cranked as high to achieve zero with the 160s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Holy crap, I tried to order a front sight from Dawson and specified that it needed to have the factory set screw location......but no, what they had in stock used the center location with the useless, small set screw. When I talked to them on the phone, they weren't much help except to tell me they didn't have one and acted like they didn't make one. Anyone have a pic of a Dawson that uses the factory set screw location so I can email it to them?

Got a photo of it?

I just received mine from Dawson Monday. I ordered from their web page last week. It has the updated screw location.

post-15497-0-38996900-1394682765_thumb.j

I purchased a spare but don't need it. If you are interested pm me and we can work out the details. Price would be what I for it.

post-15497-0-83967600-1394682800_thumb.j