Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pressure signs on brass

Fureio

I see a lot of posts and replies on these forums referring to pressure signs on brass.

As someone soaking up as much info as i can on reloading - what do the pressure signs look like on brass?

I plan on reloading major for 9mm out of a G17.

Thank you in advance!

I see a lot of posts and replies on these forums referring to pressure signs on brass.

As someone soaking up as much info as i can on reloading - what do the pressure signs look like on brass?

Thank you in advance!

www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128959

Search function is your friend.

Edited by Red Ryder

The majority of the pressure signs revolve the primer. Look at a fresh, out of the box primer. The side that is outward when loaded has rounded edges around the circumference. After the round is shot, if that rounded edge is still there you have no over pressure signs. As that rounded edge tends toward a flattened out edge the pressure is going up. If you see the round edge gone and the primer itself becomes a 90 degree edge that butts right up against the edge of the primer pocket you are somewhere on the edge of over pressure. If you see a mirror image of the striations or marks from the breachface on the brass AND the primer face, plus the primer edge butts right up to the primer pocket, you are skating on VERY thin ice and need to seriously reconsider reload recipe. Things to consider regarding over pressure signs are the type of powder, amount of powder and the seating depth of the bullet as well as the bullet weight.

When I am working up a load I will use Federal primers as they have a softer metal making up the primer cup and will show pressure signs sooner than the harder primers such as Winchester small rifle primers After I have found the load I want, I will then use The WSR primers for loading.

Pat

Thank you in advance!

www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128959

Search function is your friend.

Thanks for the suggestion. As a beginner, I had no idea that primers bulged out of their pocket under high pressure. The thread you linked can only be found if a newbie already knows that primers go flat under high pressure.

Thank you to the other respondents. Great info. That 38Super.net write up is excellent!

Edited by Fureio

Absolutely no insults intended. I still consider myself a beginner. We are lucky my friend! 30 years ago a knowledgeable reloader became that way with years of trial and error. Us beginners can now gain considerable knowledge just by sitting down at the computer for a few hours 1 or 2 days a week for a while with much less trial and error time.

• 3 weeks later...

You said it Red Ryder.

I'm learning a ton from other beginners and the old pros too.

Really like the old pros though, cause those guys have apparently been consecutively successful with their theories truth tested within 18 to 20 inches from their face.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you realize that changing the primer maker can change the pressure. Sometimes a good bit.

Not enough to worry about unless you are skating the ragged edge. SPM primers will give about 10-15 fps over SP primers...Bullet setback is a much more prevalent issue when reloading, when concerned about pressure.

Edited by GrumpyOne

I can't find it right now, but there is a test publsihed which showed actuall presure differences between different primers in the same load. The results were eye opening.

If you are loading a low or even mid range load, probably no worries, but a hotter load, you can be looking at problems,

I can't find it right now, but there is a test publsihed which showed actuall presure differences between different primers in the same load. The results were eye opening.

If you are loading a low or even mid range load, probably no worries, but a hotter load, you can be looking at problems,

Very doubtful. The only way a primer could cause a kaboom is if you are right there already. A different primer, even in a hot load, would very doubtful put you over SAAMI specs, and even if it did, you would still be well under the proof loads. Primers don't cause kabooms, over charges, double charges, squibs, and bullet setback cause kabooms.

• 4 weeks later...

The reference to using different primers meant that some have harder material than others and Federals are considered to be among the softest. If the least hard primers don't deform then you can assume the load is not overpressure and then use any primer you happen to like.