Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10k of 9mm major

MarkS_A18138

Guys I have 10k rounds of 9mm major that was loaded in 2007. Problem I am finding now that we are back using some of it is having case head explosion's...Most of the ammo will run fine but almost bet you will find one in every 50 rounds. I slowly pulled about 10 rounds apart, all had the correct powder charge but 2 of them had the powder clumped, like it had got wet. they are loaded with HS6, they have been in our garage since we got it. Yes it gets hot and we have a crap ton of humidity...what should I do with it? Pull it all apart?

Sounds like bad weather work to me. I had 1300 rnds of long loaded 40 that wouldn't chamber and over a couple weeks of rainey weather gottm' all pulled. Able to salvage most everything and reused in new loads. In todays' component market It was worth it to me. If you're not into the effort you could prolly sell them off as "COMPONENTS ONLY" and let someone else do the breakdown. On the other hand I donno if that's exactly legal since I've been told an FFL mfg license is required to sell assembled ammo. Betcha somebody on the board knows that.

Pull 'em yourself or find a safe disposal service (the local PD would be a good place to ask). I would not shoot them, nor give them to someone else with the understanding they're not going to shoot them; the last thing you need is for them to get bored pulling them and start shooting them.

Guys I have 10k rounds of 9mm major that was loaded in 2007. Problem I am finding now that we are back using some of it is having case head explosion's.

This is why I only load what I need in the immediate future. Makes hundreds of dollars in components worth much less than they would be by themselves.

*shrugs* If you have a single stage press, get a bullet puller die and (like others have said) start pulling them slowly over a few bad weather days. You'll have saved the brass and the bullets, which are the most expensive components anyway. Collect the powder and use it to start a bonfire or something.

Why are you assuming that degraded powder is the only possibility? Did you load them all at roughly the same time with the same components? Did you store them all together in the same environment? If so, why would only 20% (based on your sample size) be affected by the storage conditions? It sounds like they are performing as you would like, which suggests the powder is doing its job satisfactorily. Just saying that you need to consider EVERYTHING when trying to figure this out. Other than some clumping, does that powder show any other signs of being degraded, like a rusty color or an off smell? You might have some clumping simply because those rounds have been sitting for six years. Could your problem be the source of your brass at that time? I've seen roll sized 9mm brass give the same outcome you are experiencing when reloaded to major pf. It doesn't make your challenge any less, I'm just saying it might not be the fault of the powder. Good luck with your issue!

What does the manufacturer say about the issue? Poor storage?

When I started loading 9mm major I had a batch of 2500 that we though had 1/2 a grain too much powder in them so we pulled them all. I got three bullet pullers and me and my two boys sat Dow one afternoon and pulled them all. Only took an hour with all of us pulling.

So buy some pullers and have a party.

After I bet you can get some of your money back selling the primed brass and the projectiles.

Retread.

i am betting this is poor storage on my part....Ordered a Hornady bullet puller and goiing to start hitting it!!

If you don't need the components right away, I'd say wait until the off season, but you're from Texas--there might not be an off season for you.