Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SKIMMER TRIGGER SYSTEM

bowenbuilt

I have one in my 34. It has a clean break and very short reset. It is not real light, probably 5 lbs or so. I like the fact I can prep the trigger to a solid wall and then have the trigger break with just a little more pressure. Spendy, but a good trigger. I have about 1K rounds on it with no problems.

Edited by jlamphere

The Skimmer trigger, depending on the fit of all your parts, defeats at least one and maybe two of the safeties in the gun. This has been covered in other threads. Drop safety can be seen with the slide off. FP-block safety can be seen looking up empty mag channel using a flashlight.

I've seen several guns dropped recently and prefer to not see the next one go "bang" when it hits the deck. $0.02.

Also, 5lbs seems awful heavy for a competition trigger ... Check out the triggers from Zev Technologies or Vaneck. A Glock with either of those is a whole different gun ...

I have a Haley Skimmer in a G34 with about 2500 rounds through it now. Take-up is shorter than stock and break is crisp (for a Glock) at around 4 lbs.

I like it, but my experience shows me that nearly the same thing can be accomplished at lower cost with polishing and spring changes, depending on tolerance stacking in different pistols.

I have a G19 that has a $75 Glockmeister trigger in it that is considerably better than the G34 with the Skimmer.

And I have a G17 that has $25 worth of aftermarket parts and a bit of polishing on it that is very close to the Simmer except for a longer take-up.

I'm personally convinced the Skimmer is a very good trigger and also convinced that it will feel better in some pistols than others, again depending on tolerance stacking.

• 10 months later...

The Skimmer trigger, depending on the fit of all your parts, defeats at least one and maybe two of the safeties in the gun. This has been covered in other threads. Drop safety can be seen with the slide off. FP-block safety can be seen looking up empty mag channel using a flashlight.

I've seen several guns dropped recently and prefer to not see the next one go "bang" when it hits the deck. $0.02.

I have read the other threads and do not doubt their credibility, but that sure seems like a huge miss for a company marketing such a trigger as a "Carry" or "Defense" trigger.I wanted badly to put one in my G19 carry gun, but when I saw the threads of the safeties being defeated, decided this might not be such a good idea.

I have read the other threads and do not doubt their credibility, but that sure seems like a huge miss for a company marketing such a trigger as a "Carry" or "Defense" trigger.I wanted badly to put one in my G19 carry gun, but when I saw the threads of the safeties being defeated, decided this might not be such a good idea.

So,....are there other options out there to remove some of the initial take up on the Glock trigger that would be suitable for "Carry"? I know the competition triggers and mods are readily available, but most if not all of these are typically not recommended for defensive/carry use.

Any trigger that prevents or reduces the pre-travel of the trigger bar will compromise the safety systems designed into the gun. Primarily the trigger safety even if modified will likely fail over time. The drop safety is definitely compromised as the cruciform is no longer fully supported by the trigger housing.

Any trigger that prevents or reduces the pre-travel of the trigger bar will compromise the safety systems designed into the gun. Primarily the trigger safety even if modified will likely fail over time. The drop safety is definitely compromised as the cruciform is no longer fully supported by the trigger housing.

????????

Not a fan of the Skimmer, didn't put a round through before it came out of my G34... Personally I though the pull was horrible. I turned it right around and got my money back out of it though. The name sells the product for sure.

????????

What's your question?

I know of dozens of Glocks with reduced pre travel and over travel shoot tens of thousands of rounds with all safeties working.

In order for the trigger safety to work, it has to be trimmed in skimmer triggers. The drop safety is somewhat compromised because the trigger bar rests further to the rear in the trigger housing with less contact with the shelf of the housing. Is it still safe? That's questionable depending on who does the work. Since all parts are not equal (example: different trigger bars and different strikers will display different percentage of engagement).

I've witnessed skimmer trigger safeties to fail after just a few uses. Also, just how far of a drop does it take before the modified trigger releases the striker? YMMV. Anyone selling these as "drop in kits" possibly opens themselves up to liability issues.

I've messed around making a few of these and ultimately I don't fee that the benefits outweigh the negatives. Just my opinion.