Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Magnets legal

Jan R.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I just saw the new Ghost mag pouches with the magnets in the latest front sight and thought it was a good set up. Oh well...

Thanks

Jan

A little off topic but, since we can use a magazine in the front pocket during the "load and make ready" and "unload and show clear" periods of a stage, can I use a belt mounted magnet to hold the magazine that I load into the gun after the Barney round but before the buzzer? I know I could use the front pocket, but it would just be easier/faster to use a mag on the belt :)

Good question...hard to say but my thinking is no. The reason I say that is because the ruling exception for front pocket temp storage only lists front pockets, not magnets. When the "front pocket" exception came out, it was to address a specific issue with Prod shooters getting bumped to Open just because of storing mags in the front pocket. The ruling on magnets seemed to be very specific to SS and Prod so to alleviate any confusion, it's not a good idea either way but I would say no that it can't be used.

I don't know, it specifically states "Magazines may not be retained through magnetic means." That's about as straight forward as it gets

I'm going to use the pocket loading method...

A little off topic but, since we can use a magazine in the front pocket during the "load and make ready" and "unload and show clear" periods of a stage, can I use a belt mounted magnet to hold the magazine that I load into the gun after the Barney round but before the buzzer? I know I could use the front pocket, but it would just be easier/faster to use a mag on the belt :)

No, I even asked Amidon...no magnets of any type, anywhere, in Production and SS.

No, I even asked Amidon...no magnets of any type, anywhere, in Production and SS.

Thanks, that's not the answer I wanted, but it's the answer to the question I asked. :)

My friend emailed John Amidon about this because he just ordered the new Ghost three place single stack mag pouch with magnet that's in this months front sight and here is the conversation:

> John
>
> I just switched to single stack from open and have a question. As per
> the new rules for single stack, I know I can't use a magnet to hold a
> magazine during a course of fire. My question is can I still have a
> magnet on my belt for using at the make ready command and when just
> walking from stage to stage?

Answer:

The rule on magnetic devices as ruled by the BOD states:
>
> Motion: Production and Single Stack Appendix will have the following
added:
> Each magazine must be contained individually within the magazine pouch.
> Magazines may not be retained through magnetic means. Effective
> January 1,
> 2013
> Moved: A4 Seconded A5 Passed
>
> It does not address during the stage or just walking around, it simply
> states magazines may not be retained through magnetic means.
>
> John

John

Can I have a magnet on my belt for whatever use I want other than holding a
magazine?

Answer:

There is nothing in the rules stating you cannot have on e on your belt,
only that you cannot use it in Production and Single Stack divisions.

John

It would have been nice if he said "holding a magazine by magnet means is not allowed after the start signal".

Thanks.

Edited by kmca

What I don't like is that if a local MD says you can't have one on your belt and there is no Internet access there is no way to pull out the rule book and clarify.

Oh Lord, don't start that one :) There is a very lengthy post on here about the complaints on that topic but they are working on it...

I still don't think it's worth the risk. If you ever perform a reload and a magazine ends up stuck on the magnet, welcome to open. Is it likely to happen, no. But is it really that hard to pull a magnet magazine out of a pocket?

Edited by sperman

What I don't like is that if a local MD says you can't have one on your belt and there is no Internet access there is no way to pull out the rule book and clarify.

Corey,

See Section 6.2.5 of the rulebook, which makes it clear that the RM's decision on equipment legality is final.....

My recommendation would be not to risk it if competing in Production or SS Division....

Corey,

See Section 6.2.5 of the rulebook, which makes it clear that the RM's decision on equipment legality is final.....

My recommendation would be not to risk it if competing in Production or SS Division....

Nik not all local matches have a officially trained RM. which means it falls to the MD typically. Not all local MD do what they should be doing and keep up with the current rules. Trust me I'm not bitching, just suggesting that it needs to be in black and white, not just online somewhere. Edited by steel1212