Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Magnets legal

Jan R.

What I don't like is that if a local MD says you can't have one on your belt and there is no Internet access there is no way to pull out the rule book and clarify.

Corey,

See Section 6.2.5 of the rulebook, which makes it clear that the RM's decision on equipment legality is final.....

My recommendation would be not to risk it if competing in Production or SS Division....

Nik not all local matches have a officially trained RM. which means it falls to the MD typically. Not all local MD do what they should be doing and keep up with the current rules. Trust me I'm not bitching, just suggesting that it needs to be in black and white, not just online somewhere.
Ah, now I understand -- you want it published. I'm on the same page. I realize that we'll never be interpretation/modification free with a perfect rulebook, but it would be nice if there were a single, dated document that contained all changes/modification in rule number order on the website. Then it would be an easy check the weekend of a match, to download the latest version/confirm that your version is still current, and have only two documents to work from....

What I don't like is that if a local MD says you can't have one on your belt and there is no Internet access there is no way to pull out the rule book and clarify.

Corey,

See Section 6.2.5 of the rulebook, which makes it clear that the RM's decision on equipment legality is final.....

My recommendation would be not to risk it if competing in Production or SS Division....

Nik not all local matches have a officially trained RM. which means it falls to the MD typically. Not all local MD do what they should be doing and keep up with the current rules. Trust me I'm not bitching, just suggesting that it needs to be in black and white, not just online somewhere.
Ah, now I understand -- you want it published. I'm on the same page. I realize that we'll never be interpretation/modification free with a perfect rulebook, but it would be nice if there were a single, dated document that contained all changes/modification in rule number order on the website. Then it would be an easy check the weekend of a match, to download the latest version/confirm that your version is still current, and have only two documents to work from....

There needs to be a ap for that lol!!

Corey,

There needs to be a ap for that lol!!

That's just crazy talk.....

:-)

We were just talking about this at work the other day. I thought that was the change but couldn't find it written any where so now we know. This site is awesome for things like this.

My friend emailed John Amidon about this because he just ordered the new Ghost three place single stack mag pouch with magnet that's in this months front sight and here is the conversation:

> John

>

> I just switched to single stack from open and have a question. As per

> the new rules for single stack, I know I can't use a magnet to hold a

> magazine during a course of fire. My question is can I still have a

> magnet on my belt for using at the make ready command and when just

> walking from stage to stage?

Answer:

The rule on magnetic devices as ruled by the BOD states:

>

> Motion: Production and Single Stack Appendix will have the following

added:

> Each magazine must be contained individually within the magazine pouch.

> Magazines may not be retained through magnetic means. Effective

> January 1,

> 2013

> Moved: A4 Seconded A5 Passed

>

> It does not address during the stage or just walking around, it simply

> states magazines may not be retained through magnetic means.

>

> John

John

Can I have a magnet on my belt for whatever use I want other than holding a

magazine?

Answer:

There is nothing in the rules stating you cannot have on e on your belt,

only that you cannot use it in Production and Single Stack divisions.

John

Just thinking out of the box... If you really want to game the system...

The ruling is no magnets on the belt? It does not, however, call out no magnets in your front pocket.

Just thinking out of the box... If you really want to game the system...

The ruling is no magnets on the belt? It does not, however, call out no magnets in your front pocket.

But what is that going to accomplish? "Gaming" usually means finding shortcuts or ways to solve stages to lower your time/shots all to get a higher hit factor.

The rule says nothing about "on your belt". It says, "Magazines may not be retained through magnetic means". That means you can't use a magnet to retain your magazine, whether it's on your belt or strapped to your head. Reading something into this that isn't there is what gets you moved to Open.

I'd be leery about walking around with a magazine on a magnet outside a course of fire as well, because the rule doesn't say it's OK if you aren't using it during a course. It simply states that you may not retain a magazine with a magnet in SS or Pdn. Note that it doesn't prohibit having a magnet on you, just using it to hold a magazine.

Troy