Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrades on M&P Pro 9mm

bwtrayer

I have an fairly new M&P Pro 5 inch in 9mm that I purchased early last month. I have been to two matches( USPSA Production) with it already and love the gun. My question is what upgrades should I purchase? I am happy with the sights. I know apex makes some great parts (and I already have them in my carry gun so I know how to install them) Since I am shooting it for production, I cannot change out the trigger, add a magwell, etc. It is 2nd generation so the apex RAM will not work with the sear. Thanks for all your opinions.

I found what made a big difference in the trigger feel was using the APEX USB. The pull smoothed out a lot.

I will probably do that and an apex extractor. I actually have the usb for my m&p .40c, just need to install it without screwing up my sight line.

A full Apex CAEK kit will include a new sear if that's the hangup with the RAM (never heard of the "2nd gen" issue myself). On my M&P 9L I've done the following:

- Apex CAEK (includes spring kit, sear, and USB)

- Apex RAM

- Warren Sevigny Competition Rear Sight

- Dawson Precision Front Sight (plain black)

- Stippled backstrap

I'm on the waiting list with G&R Tactical to have one of the fitted Storm Lake barrels installed.

Was running an aftermarket guide rod and recoil spring but I had issues with the pistol returning to battery and stopped using that.

Only majorly popular mod that I'm not running in mine is the Apex extractor. Truthfully I've only had a handful of jams with my gun and every time there was a ton of crud built up under the extractor (ie, I'd go several range sessions/matches without cleaning). So long as I keep that area clean though its fine.

Edited by MGMorden

This is from the Apex website:

This product works in Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm, .357 Sig and .40 S&W models only that DO NOT INCLUDE a thumb safety, Magazine Disconnect or the Internal Locking System.

**PRODUCT WILL NOT WORK IN VTAC VARIANT AND SOME OF THE NEWEST M&P MODELS DUE TO CHANGE IN SEAR HOUSING BLOCK CONFIGURATION.

The Apex Reset Assist Mechanism (Patent Pending) is a drop in part engineered to improve tactile trigger reset of your M&P pistol. Along with improving the felt reset, the Apex RAM also serves as a failsafe in the unlikely event of a Trigger Return Spring breakage; keeping the trigger bar properly positioned under the sear and allowing the user to manually manipulate the trigger forward between shots.

I have on my pro:

Sevingy fiber set

Apex CEAK and RAM

SSS extra power striker spring

Im gonna switch back in the stock trigger return spring this week

Also waiting on that fitting barrel from Grant. This gun is accurate, I just want tighter.

The pro series sear that came in the gun has the same gritty reset as a 9 FS we got in last week that has the "new" trigger. The break and reset is ok, but S&W just refuses to make a stock trigger that isnt cringe worthy from the factory.

Edited by theblacknight

Grip tape. I am a fan of tape on the front strap. Given you like the sights and have not complaint about the trigger sounds like you are good to go. Manny Bragg gave me a tip about the magazine base plates which I really like for production. Its not uspsa legal to grind off the nose of the stock base plates but is legal to replace with the factory compact base plate. Much easier to reload. See my thread here about those if interested.

The APEX CAEK is great as well as Dawson grip tape. I'd only spend the money on the extractor if you are having issues. While I did, many people don't.

Some are running lighter recoil springs but that would depend on if you are reloading and to what PF.

Grip tape. I am a fan of tape on the front strap. Given you like the sights and have not complaint about the trigger sounds like you are good to go. Manny Bragg gave me a tip about the magazine base plates which I really like for production. Its not uspsa legal to grind off the nose of the stock base plates but is legal to replace with the factory compact base plate. Much easier to reload. See my thread here about those if interested.

+1 on the recommendation to use compact base plates.

Full Comp AEK and RAM in my older 9L, along with Dawson sights.

In a newer Pro, I'd probably only do the USB and Comp spring kit at first... I haven't liked the feel of the Apex sear with the latest striker, and the new factory sear is a big improvement over the old design anyway.

You can also go with a tungsten guide rod from SSS, and a lighter recoil spring if you're reloading to minor PF.

Compact basepads at least, 10-8 basepads for a bit more weight, +10% mag springs may help, too.

in case any of you guys want to be able to run a RAM in your newer M&P...just get an older sear block housing while they're still out there. you can still get the older style sear block from Brownells....all you have to do is pop out the cover that is covering where the internal lock would be and you're all set to put the RAM in. I bought three of them a while back just in case and whenever one of my newer M&Ps showed up with the new sear block...I just threw in the old style.

note: you will need to remove the magazine safety if that's a feature you don't want...but it's very easy and doesn't require any other parts...just gotta take one out and directions can be found on youtube.

Brownells part number is 940-000-958WB and the block is $29 bucks.

in case any of you guys want to be able to run a RAM in your newer M&P...just get an older sear block housing while they're still out there. you can still get the older style sear block from Brownells....all you have to do is pop out the cover that is covering where the internal lock would be and you're all set to put the RAM in. I bought three of them a while back just in case and whenever one of my newer M&Ps showed up with the new sear block...I just threw in the old style.

note: you will need to remove the magazine safety if that's a feature you don't want...but it's very easy and doesn't require any other parts...just gotta take one out and directions can be found on youtube.

Do you drill out the sear plunger hole in the block to hold the newer wider spring when you use these?

i want to but it's well above my skill set, i'm sure i'd bugger it up so i ran it past my smith last month and he told me he'd be more than happy to drill em out for me...I just need to bring along the sear block from my 4.25" pro series which is one of those "in the middle of production" blocks that has the lock feature so i can bump it out and run the ram...and it also has the larger sear plunger spring from the factory so it's perfect!

i just picked up a new 5" pro series thourgh the "on the hip" program and it has the newer sear and trigger...and honestly I don't care for it...S&W was stating that there is a very textile trigger reset...but I'm not feeling it at all. it is a little smoother for sure...and I would swap out that trigger for the Apex but it's going to stay as a production gun so i'm sort of stuck with it. i'm just going polish everything up real nice and run it as is.

Why do some of you say the different magazine base plates are easier to reload?

With the compact base plates, the magazine fits easier in the palm of your hand. The stock (non-compact) base plates "stick out" the front a little (almost a half an inch) to match the profile of the pistol grip, but that extra tab makes the mags not lay flat. For $2 per mag its an easy upgrade, and makes reloads less of a fumble.

Why do some of you say the different magazine base plates are easier to reload?

It reduces the risk of the 1st mag catching the base plate of the next mag on my belt on a reload, pulling it out of the mag carrier.

It is 2nd generation so the apex RAM will not work with the sear.

This is from the Apex website:

This product works in Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm, .357 Sig and .40 S&W models only that DO NOT INCLUDE a thumb safety, Magazine Disconnect or the Internal Locking System.

**PRODUCT WILL NOT WORK IN VTAC VARIANT AND SOME OF THE NEWEST M&P MODELS DUE TO CHANGE IN SEAR HOUSING BLOCK CONFIGURATION.

The Apex Reset Assist Mechanism (Patent Pending) is a drop in part engineered to improve tactile trigger reset of your M&P pistol. Along with improving the felt reset, the Apex RAM also serves as a failsafe in the unlikely event of a Trigger Return Spring breakage; keeping the trigger bar properly positioned under the sear and allowing the user to manually manipulate the trigger forward between shots.

FWIW, I just picked up an M&P Pro (5") 9mm from www.arnzenarms.com/, test fire date 6/2013, and the RAM fit just fine. Reset from the factory was same as very early 1st gen (as far as I could tell), and was even worse after adding the lighter Apex trigger return spring (only other mod I did besides polishing and adding an overtravel stop within the sear housing). The RAM makes a nice audible, but not really tactile, click. Doubt I'll notice it when shooting under the clock (and I'm a 'ride the reset' type - not a trigger slapper), but if nothing else, a little extra weight in the frame can't hurt, no matter how miniscule.

I did the following on my gun and have loved the setup:

Full Comp AEK and RAM

Dawson Adjustable rear with .285" x .125" front sight

ISMI 13lb recoil spring

Dawson grip tape

Medium contour stippled backstrap from Speed Shooter Specialties

And i guess after reading a little bit of this thread i may talk myself into trying the compact base pads for the mags and maybe a different guide rod.