Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag changes in production

mas

A chronic problem that I am having is that the mags will not drop free from my Glock...they require a snap of the wrist to get them to move, and when they finally do, they do so lazily. I'm shooting production. Mags are brand new. Is there any way to fix this problem?

I go a slightly different way than vluc. Rather than sanding each mag. I put a piece of sand paper on a mag using double stick tape and open up the mag well that way. I only have to do that once rather than working on each mag.

Be careful you don't sand down the mag release when you sand the interior of the mag well.

I generally keep sanding until I have have a piece of sand paper on opposite sides of the mag, and the mag will fully seat and extract w/o too much effort.

Essentially that give a clearance of 2 pieces of sand paper in the mag well.

use armor all on the mags in addition to opening up the magwell and they usually drop out very nice.

2 ways.

1.  use armor-all to wipe them down...helps them slide a bit more

2.  sand the sides of the mags a bit to make them drop more easily, then apply armor all....

+1 on that suggestion.

Also, I've found that if you use firmgrip or similar stuff, it makes the Glock mags stick in the magwell.

firmgrip? is that like A-grip?? I *am* using A-grip and was wondering if that might be causing any problems.....I'm taking that off this week, so perhaps the problem will be fixed. I do not have this problem with my other Glocks.

If that doesn't work, I'll try the sandpaper route.

You can do two things with a Glock to help make sure the mags always drop free:

1) Get one of the blue training mags, and tape a business card to each side to fatten it up, and store the pistol with that mag in it.

2) Use one of the 1st generation NFML mags loaded with dummy rounds (the mags swell slightly when loaded) and store the pistol with that mag in it.

You shouldn't need to sand anything down if you use one of the above methods. I do this with my glocks, and never have a problem getting a mag to drop.

I will definitely be ordering some of Eric's stuff in the future (have some other grip tape coming in already). I got to handle a gun with Eric's tape on it yesterday, and I really liked it quite a bit.

firmgrip? is that like A-grip?? I *am* using A-grip and was wondering if that might be causing any problems.....I'm taking that off this week, so perhaps the problem will be fixed. I do not have this problem with my other Glocks.

If that doesn't work, I'll try the sandpaper route.

It's the gel or powder you put on your hands beore you shoot.

You can get the blue training mags here: CPWSA

where do you get the blue training mags? which method do you prefer?

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Here is an article about the CRTC Safety Mags, with links. I prefer the dummy round/1st Gen mag method. http://www.sportshooter.com/gear/spot_safetymags.htm

I also use Agrips on my Glocks. I tried skateboard tape, the Hogue Handall, and prefer the Agrip.

firmgrip? is that like A-grip?? I *am* using A-grip and was wondering if that might be causing any problems

Please tell me your magazine release isn't covered with grip tape. (on either side) The product that never needed to be invented for the Glock is anything that makes the mag release harder to push.

BTW - Make sure your mags don't have a little "ding" in them at the bottom of the mag catch notch. If so, trim the ding off and see if that frees things up.

ding ding ding! you get the prize! :) yep, the mag release gets covered on both sides.....like I said, I'm getting rid of it...

Damn I'm good. Unless you simply hate the Agrip, I'd do what Matt said and simply relieve the mag catch areas. At 25 smackers each, I'd get my money's worth out of that Agrip.

ding ding ding! you get the prize! :) yep, the mag release gets covered on both sides.....like I said, I'm getting rid of it...

Damn I'm good. Unless you simply hate the Agrip, I'd do what Matt said and simply relieve the mag catch areas. At 25 smackers each, I'd get my money's worth out of that Agrip.

Damn... a guy that's got a competing product available telling you to keep the competition's product. Cool! :D

i usually take about 600 grit and "smooth" the outside of my mags, thats about all i do. and my mags drop plenty fast (fast enough for .9 loads) on a 19 also make sure your hand doesn't contact the edge of the mag on the way out. and that the mag notch is squared off on the bottom not sticking out at all.. of course that the mag well is clean. and take an exacto knife to that damn a-grip anything that goes near that mag catch is too close on a glock.

I have a Glock frame that mags don't want to fall out of...and it is practically new (well, unused, anyway).

I also have another (my main competition gun), that needs a new slide stop/release. The current one (well used) has the trigger pin hole worn a bit...which allow the slide stop/release to get forward of the follower on a slide-lock reload. Which can hang it up.

I have a Glock frame that mags don't want to fall out of...and it is practically new (well, unused, anyway).

I also have another (my main competition gun), that needs a new slide stop/release. The current one (well used) has the trigger pin hole worn a bit...which allow the slide stop/release to get forward of the follower on a slide-lock reload. Which can hang it up.

So your gun didn't require financing, but keeping one running sounds like it requires a pit crew. ;)

Back when I used a Glock 19 for everything - carry, classes, matches - I greatly preferred the original NFML mags. In my experience, the so-called "drop frees" often didn't, but when the NFMLs got down to about five rounds or less, they'd drop every time. I once attended a class at which every single shooter (except one guy with a SIG P220 .45) was running a Glock. I was the only guy in the class whose mags would drop during a speed reload. I was also the only guy running "non-drop free" mags. Hah! Vindication. :D

OTOH, I just coughed up for three new production FML Glock 17-rounders for my Glock 34, and they'll all drop just fine.

When I still had the glock, I used to subconciously develop that flick technique when reloading. That was after I jammed and injured my thumb in the rear opening of the grip trying to rip a mag out. :(

T'was the time I really enjoyed mag changes with the singlestack only for the "positive ejection" reason.

Hey all,

good news...once I removed the Agrip, the mags now eject smoothly and positively. I think that may have fixed it, but I'll be sure to wipe 'em down with silicone before matches.