Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classic Division Must be .45acp Only

tatu_ph

The problem is that they also ban things like light rails or full length dust covers etc because it's not in the "Original Design" and they are very strict on some mod specs, then they become lax on the caliber?

What made me brought this up is some is because they (IPSC) are contradicting their reasons. They say that 40 has come to be the norm for todays standards and one must understand that some can't afford to have two guns or more (1 for defense & 1 for comp). But isn't having a light attached to the gun (Hence the Light rail) also the norm for a good house defense pistol? Then why ban it?

I personally think it should be .45 only, no 9 or .40. Given that the Classic design was a .45 plus I own two 1911 and shoot I P SC SS however only my Colt is SS Classic legal as my Sig 1911 Tacops has an accessory rail on it but as far as I'm concerned that is still more classic than a 9 or .40 and to me it is a contradiction with the way they exclude accessory rails.

Just my opinion and I would rather shoot my Sig if I could. Regardless of the rules however it is still a great division to shoot in and I would not shoot anything else.

there is no difference between .40 and 45.. other than if you shoot limited most of the year and only shoot ss (classic) for 3 months out of the year, you don't have to change your press over...

seriously man, if you think the 45 is the only caliber for a single stack, then just shoot a 45, no one is suggesting you don't, and you will not be at a disadvantage...

when i switched from 45 to 40, i missed the slow rolling recoil of that 230gr bullet going 740 fps..

40 is a snappy round..

Dave Sevigny won the SS nationals with a 45...

put some work behind the gun, and you could too :)

By the way IPSC classic also allows, 5" bull barrels, has no weight limit and allows speed holsters.. (Does that blow your mind?? :surprise: )

Edited by carlosa

No weight limit, bull, barrels, and speed holsters?!?! OMG do they let you use something other than blade sights???? If your gonna say it needs to be x to be classic then you need everything about the division to be classic.

To be Classic,

The worst sights ever put on a 1911, short, hardly a notch, and narrow

Spur Hammer

Spur grip safety

Thumb safety just a little nub

No checkering on the front or back strap

lanyard loop

High cut ejection port

no bevel on the mag opening

wood grips

The loosest fitting parts

Rich

Folks, you need to remember that here in Australia & others, we can't shoot 40+ calibres in IPSC or basically any other handgun shooting diciplines.

We are limited to 9/38 or 357sig, still a 9/38 projectile. Does it make sense? Nope, but it's what we have.

IPSC is International, not US based.

There is a push to allow tac-railed 1911 short dust covers. FLDC will not happen.

To be Classic,

The worst sights ever put on a 1911, short, hardly a notch, and narrow

Spur Hammer

Spur grip safety

Thumb safety just a little nub

No checkering on the front or back strap

lanyard loop

High cut ejection port

no bevel on the mag opening

wood grips

The loosest fitting parts

Rich

Oh I forgot, seven round mags and a flap holster.

Rich

Exactly

I shoot IPSC Classic with a .45 ACP. I also own a 1911 in 9mmP and will be using the minor gun for all my practice and smaller matches for the rest of the year. Main reason will be to save on costs. .45 brass is difficult to find and very expensive in South Africa. Bullets, even the plain LRN I use, are almost twice the price of 9mm bullets. LPP are more expensive and harder to find than SPP.

The minor gun is a ton of fun to shoot and the 2 extra rounds are a bonus. I know I won't be as competitive as when shooting major, but I am willing to take the scoring penalty to continue shooting.

In these days of baggage limits, it will be a lot easier to fly with enough 9mmP ammo than with .45 ammo.

Keep the option of allowing different calibers. Each caliber has its own pro's and con's. Give shooters the option to decide what suits them better.

If you don't like beaten by other calibers, practice more.

When I first started shooting dec 2012 there was some discussion that accessory rails could be allowed so I thought cool in I will go and buy a Sig 1911 Tacops. I then spent another large amount of money replacing sights, trigger and internals.

It was after that it was confirmed that it was not legal because of the accessory rail. I live in N Z and there are not a large range of 1911s available and you need to take what you can get.

I have a Colt Gold Cup NM which I compete with and it is a good gun but I shoot better with the Sig so if possible I would compete with that.

I actually do not have an issue with other calibres being allowed as we need as many shooters in this division as possible hence I also think accessory rails should be permitted. I actually enjoy shooting against people with 9mm 10 rd mags as it makes things very interesting, I do not have an issue with any perceived advantage or not of the other calibres.

When I first started shooting dec 2012 there was some discussion that accessory rails could be allowed so I thought cool in I will go and buy a Sig 1911 Tacops. I then spent another large amount of money replacing sights, trigger and internals.

It was after that it was confirmed that it was not legal because of the accessory rail. I live in N Z and there are not a large range of 1911s available and you need to take what you can get.

I have a Colt Gold Cup NM which I compete with and it is a good gun but I shoot better with the Sig so if possible I would compete with that.

I actually do not have an issue with other calibres being allowed as we need as many shooters in this division as possible hence I also think accessory rails should be permitted. I actually enjoy shooting against people with 9mm 10 rd mags as it makes things very interesting, I do not have an issue with any perceived advantage or not of the other calibres.

Yeah the no rail thing is stupid..

It black lists to many guns for no good reason..

Yet they allow bull barrels? I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish :(