Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio short chambered 9mm?

Hello: I have a 9mm open Tanfoglio gold custom here with a short chamber. It will not take rounds loaded to 1.140" OAL. I tried my 9mm and 9x23 reamers but they will not go into the barrel. The pilot section of the reamer is larger than the bore. Is anyone reaming these or do I need to order a special reamer? I tried 3 different bullet prfiles and they all don't fit at 1.140". Please let me know so I can get this thing running right. The mags are another story and so is the extractor. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I have a 9mm open Tanfoglio gold custom here with a short chamber. It will not take rounds loaded to 1.140" OAL. I tried my 9mm and 9x23 reamers but they will not go into the barrel. The pilot section of the reamer is larger than the bore. Is anyone reaming these or do I need to order a special reamer? I tried 3 different bullet prfiles and they all don't fit at 1.140". Please let me know so I can get this thing running right. The mags are another story and so is the extractor. Thanks, Eric

Seems about the same as my Gold Custom. 115gr MG CMJs will hit the rifling at just over 1.14.

Tried dropping one of my 1.125" 147gr Zero FMJ production round in the barrel and it wasnt even close...

I only shoot minor, so I dont really care, but I'd be kinda nervous getting this thing up to major loading so short.

Edited by gose

That's surprising, I loaded some 135gn CMJs to 1.155 and they chambered fine in my CZ, my small frame and large frame Tanfo barrels.

What's wrong with the mags? Are you using K9s?

Whats wrong with the mags marked "k9"? which mags do we need...i am referring to a stock 2 because thats what it came with.

Edited by Prov1x

Hello: The mags are K9 mags with Grams spring and followers. They have Hennings base pads which are starting to split at the back. I think the base pad material is too soft. I also think the feed lips are too long but will have to play with them some more and open up the feed lips some. The big problem right now is the short throat that will not take Zero JHP or Montana Gold JHP's. I am looking for someone that can throat the barrel deeper to except those bullets. I had to do the same to the CZ Shadow I had. The Gold Custom barrel is smaller in diameter so my reamer will not work with it. I hate to buy a special order reamer for one barrel. The barrel will take the Zero bullets loaded to 1.050" OAL but that is too short to help the feeding problem that it has. I also think it needs a lighter recoil spring maybe 8-10lb. It has a stock one in there now that feels like a 14lb or so. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Eric

That's surprising, I loaded some 135gn CMJs to 1.155 and they chambered fine in my CZ, my small frame and large frame Tanfo barrels.

Whats wrong with the mags marked "k9"? which mags do we need...i am referring to a stock 2 because thats what it came with.

Nothing, K9s are the best thing going for a large frame Tanfoglio, the "old mags" were shiny blued with a T in a triangle stamped on them and had a spacer in the front; they're scrap metal unless you drill out the welds, remove the spacer and load loooong (like .38 super long).

Hello: The mags are K9 mags with Grams spring and followers. They have Hennings base pads which are starting to split at the back. I think the base pad material is too soft. I also think the feed lips are too long but will have to play with them some more and open up the feed lips some. The big problem right now is the short throat that will not take Zero JHP or Montana Gold JHP's. I am looking for someone that can throat the barrel deeper to except those bullets. I had to do the same to the CZ Shadow I had. The Gold Custom barrel is smaller in diameter so my reamer will not work with it. I hate to buy a special order reamer for one barrel. The barrel will take the Zero bullets loaded to 1.050" OAL but that is too short to help the feeding problem that it has. I also think it needs a lighter recoil spring maybe 8-10lb. It has a stock one in there now that feels like a 14lb or so. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Eric

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble Eric although I do appreciate the info; I was debating buying a GT conversion for my Hunter (I had always just assumed the GT would have a long chamber like my Match), but given your woes and the fact that my small frames run flawlessly I might opt to drill some barrel ports in one of them.

My gun has run like a Swiss watch since I replaced some springs and the extractor, prolly ~2k rounds. I'm using a 6lbs recoil spring and a 13 lbs main spring, but like mentioned above, I only load to minor.

Have you tried any non-JHP bullets?

Nothing, K9s are the best thing going for a large frame Tanfoglio, the "old mags" were shiny blued with a T in a triangle stamped on them and had a spacer in the front; they're scrap metal unless you drill out the welds, remove the spacer and load loooong (like .38 super long).

Okay good because I just ordered 5 more of them. Thanks!

Hello: It is actually not my gun but a friends. I have not shot it yet but will this weekend. I know the barrel is polygonal but the reamer still has to be guided or setup in a lathe and bored. I will try Rich at Canyon Creek to see what he says. The stock barrel has way too many holes for my liking. If they had a better comp on there it would be alot better. I really like the looks of it and it feels good in my hands. I wish they made better mags for it that are long. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Hello: Got this thing running now. I had to work on the mags some to get it to feed better. I also cleaned up the feed ramp. I can load some Montana Gold 121 IFP's to 1.100" OAL. That should make it better and I am going to try Winchester Auto-Comp since it does not take much room to make major. I also noticed that the barrel has some peaning on the upper lugs. The barrel seems soft to me compaired to the Schuemann barrels I'm used to? Thanks, Eric

After reading your post I went and checked my Stock II with my loads of 124 MTG CMJ loaded out to 1.130.No issues at all,this is my major load length I have been running my CZ open gun with.

And by the way 1.130 with 6.8 grns of auto comp gives me about a 168 power factor with a 124 MTG CMJ,CZ runs flat with a cut down 6# recoil spring.

Edited by Big Dog Howie

I have found my stock 2's (3 of them so far), and my stock 3 all have slightly different tastes. Some bullets with a high Ogive can lead to not seating, whereas a 147gr Speer bullet feeds and is loaded much longer. My OPen gun (large frame) I built up runs great on 124gr FMJ BDX bullets. I had to put a stronger extractor spring in, but that is the norm for that gun. My .40 Limited custom (large frame) ran great on anything, With the .40 mags you need to just make sure the lips don't spread too much.

Hello: I thought of using my surface grinder fixture to grind down the pilot on the reamer to fit the barrel but just want to make sure the guy wants to keep the gun first. The bullet ogive is the problem with this barrel. Montana Gold, Zero and even the Berry bullet profiles all have to be loaded short. I am used to my 1.170" OAL for my STI's and even my Glock can be loaded to 1.140" easily. Good gun, bad quality control. Thanks, Eric

what bullets did you try? Speer TMJ and Xtremes should work fine. I've had other drag on the mouth of the chamber. The bullet has to be .355 and not have a super stubby profile.