Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Lancer Rifle….It’s ALIVE!

Fitzghan

So I normally don’t post this kind of stuff but I just had to put this thing up I’m so EXCITED! Special thanks to Lancer Team Shooter Kevin Tapia for letting me try and fall in love with his rifle and putting me in contact with Lancer Team Pro Shooter Chad Drewery who made this bad boy come to life. I spec’d out the gun with Chad and he hunted down the parts and pieced all together in record time. Absolutely awesome and I can’t thank those guys enough!

Gonna zero this weekend and put it through it’s paces at Tarheel 3gun on the 29th!

post-46708-0-36563500-1371762266_thumb.j post-46708-0-25849300-1371762308_thumb.j

18 inch Stainless Barrel, 5.56 National Match Chamber, 1x8 twist, rifle length gas

Wheaton Comp

Lancer XXL carbon fiber handgaurd

Lancer upper and lower with Tactical Magwell. (Good size and still allows room to run coupled mags)

AR GOLD trigger

Ergo Tactical Delux Grip

Ergo F93 PRO stock

Vortex Raxor HD Gen II 1-6x

Took the Lancer out to the range today to get it zeroed before next week's match and get a feel for her. I shot 55gr PMC bronze, Federal XM193 and Independence XM193. I didn't have a lot of time and was literally running back on forth to set and paste targets between passing thunderstorms. Most of the shooting was done in light rain.

I had to zero at 50yds since I like a 200yd zero and this particular range went only out to 166yds. At 50yds sub 1/2 groups were the norm shooting prone. All groups could be covered with a dime. Satisfied I shot a few rounds at 100yds just to see and it hit about 1.7 inches high at that distance as it should (my ballistic calculations said 1.4) with groups hovering in the 1 inch range. Not bad at all considering the ammo, the ridiculous NC heat ,humidity and the rain. On this day the rifle I'm sure would shoot better than I was able. In the mud and heat and with all the running I was shooting with a pretty good heart rate going and watching the dot in the scope dance.

All in all I was very satisfied with the accuracy and the gun now has about 100rds through it. Excited to shoot it at some steel next weekend at distance.

Some other initial impressions......

I did a few bill drills at 10 and 15 yds to get a feel for the comp and AR Gold trigger. Split times were in the .13 to .15 range with little effort and keeping all hits inside the 8 inch down zero circle. I REALLY like the AR Gold trigger. I'm a Glock shooter and like the feel of the take up on the two stage design. It is very short and so light that at speed you don't notice it at all. For precision shots I like the little bit of prep and then the trigger breaks very nicely on the second stage. Reset is very short. Prior to this I'd run Geissele SSA and SSA E's. They are heavy compared to this trigger with the 1st stage being much lighter and shorter on the AR gold. The biggest difference is on the AR gold the reset is very short. On the Giessele you have to reset all the way out and pull through both stages each time. That being said I can run .15 splits with the Giessele as well with norms being .15-.16.

The Wheaton Comp provided very good control but the jury is still out for me on whether it is better than the SJC titan. I shot a couple of bill drills side by side with the Titan Comp on my wife's rifle. Her rifle is a 16 inch gun with a LW barrel and is built to be as light as possible for her and I ran a Titan on my previous LMT you see there in the profile Pic. I'm inclined to say I like the Titan but I only have 100 rounds on the Wheaton and will continue to use it for a good while before making up my mind.

The gun as pictured has had some minor changes. I ditched the ADM RECON scope mount for a Larue SPR-E in order to put the scope farther forward for better eye relief. Even though I'm 6 foot 3, I run the stock on position 2 and needed the Scope farther forward than the ADM would allow. I'm running a non adjustable gas block with a full auto bolt carrier and after shooting a few rounds with a standard buffer I put in an H2 and it felt much smoother and runs 100%. Later on I may play with some adj gas and the JP low mass carrier. For now the gun is shooting accurately and fast enough I think. With .13 splits I don't know if the Juice would be worth the squeeze or not. Curious about others opinions on this.

That is all for now.

beautiful set up man.. ive been eyeballing that same stock myself.

Thanks! I really like the stock. Fixed stock feel with a solid cheek weld but maintains the adjustability with 8 positions.. I’m tall but I still only run my stock on position 2. I already ordered another one for my wife’s rifle. Not to expensive either and if you are doing a build it comes with the tube, castle nut and a lock plate with ambi sling loops.

Upgraded the wife’s rifle to “match”. She liked mine so much how could I say no! Lower is exactly the same save the trigger. Her’s is a Hyperfire Hypertouch 24 set to 2.7lbs. Interesting trigger with a different feel than the AR GOLD but very nice. Single stage and (at least to me) feels like it sort of rolls on ball bearings and then lets go with little to no discernible break whereas the AR Gold has a distinct , albeit very light and short first stage and then breaks very crisp. It (Hyperfire) still has very short travel and a quick and positive reset.

Her Upper is BCM all the way around with and SJC Titan comp and a 16 inch LW profile, Mid-gas ,1 in 8 hammer ,forged barrel. Sweet shooting and VERY light! She is super excited and we are gonna have a blast this Saturday….pun intended. Next upgrade will be replacing the TR24 with another Vortex.

post-46708-0-57406000-1372293508_thumb.j

Edited by Fitzghan

We are shooting Tarheel 3Gun on Sat…….Ant Hill is a maybe. If we are there though you can certainly try em’ out….hell you might of just given me the excuse I need to go. :devil:

Got to shoot the new rifle’s at Tarheel and I am in love. Steel out to 265yds at this match and no issue connecting when it counted. Rifle handled and transitioned very well, Wheaton comp left no room for complaints and the AR GOLD is worth every penny.

Wife loved hers to and the Hyperfire put a large smile on her face. She put a smile on mine when she won the Versa Max up for grabs!

The barrel in my Lancer is an 18 inch White Oak barrel. Stainless, 1 in 8 twist, rifle length gas. Wife’s is a 16 inch CL 1 in 8 twist, mid gas hammer forged Bravo Company barrel. Both shoot very well.

Your issue may be that you are running a 1 inch, 81 in 7 twist barrel…… :D

What barrel from WOA? I looked on their site but didn't see one that matched your description. A 1 inch barrel with a 81 in 1 twist would be impressive! Sometimes I wish my computer had auto-correct.

Don’t think you will find it on their site. From what I am told they are providing the barrels to Lancer but that is above my pay grade. The older ones were 17inch barrels. I know the Super Comp rifles were/ still are? Krieger barrels not sure what the regular competition models were.

All I know for sure is the barrel is a WOA and it shoots right fine.

I cannot tell you for sure it will fit in the “competition” magwell because I run the “tactical” size. It fits in that no problem. I went with the tactical based on Chad and several other Lancer shooters recommendations and am glad I did. It is very generous and frankly anything larger would just be a waste in my opinion.

• 1 month later...