Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai Shoto comp - revisited

ffgats

Hi,

Its been awhile since this particualr comp have been talked about.

Any latest experience on this comp for 9major. please include the specs of your gun and load eg.like if bbl is ported.

thanks

What do you want to know exactly? I have a full size Katana in 9. The gun has 6 small barrel holes, 2 up and 2 on each side in a V formation. I run HS-6 under 115 jhp's and it's flat. The dot barely moves, maybe 1/4 of the way up the glass. I've had several other open shooters say the gun doesn't appear to move at all.

Not sure if I ever posted this anywhere but one thing I noticed is that it doesn't seem very effective without popple holes. A friend of mine has two popple holes and very similar full size 9Major STI guns and his was very flat. Mine jumped like crazy. I have had problems in the past with making Major with holes so I decided to sell it and get something else. It is a good comp if set up correctly but with my load and a few others without the holes, it just didn't seem right.

My Akai 9 mm open gun is also fullsize. It has 6 popple holes two on each side of the barrel and two centerd. My load is 8.0 gr of Silhouette, 124 gr MG JHP, WSRP at 1.165 OAL. PF 171. The dot moves 1/8 to 1/4 inch straight up and down. It is an extremely flat shooting gun.

Thanks, I am thinking of rebuilding my top end, I was considering the Shoto comp same with the Bedell Ti comp. The Akai seems to be "new in concept", Always want to try some new things, lol, My Schuemann Rib bbl has 2 ports already.

I had a Bedell titanium and to be honest didn't l like it. I never really got it to work the way I thought it should. When I re-barreled that gun I had a Brazos Thunder put on and like it better. My Akai is better, IMO, than the Brazos and the Brazos is much better than the Bedell Ti.

So, as a follow on question, how many holes to use with the shoto comp?

I have 1 and am considering more. I will wait to shoot someone else's in 9 before i do. My experience, so far is that it tracks up and down, but if i squeeze the snot out of it, it stays put and squiggles. But we are talking about alot of grip.

I used (2) 1/8" holes with the Cheely comp. They seemed to help with the quickness that the dot returned to center. I run 115s over HS6 at a 175PF and the dot never leaves the lens. I believe you would have similar results with the Akai comp.

I forgot to mentioned at present I am using the EGW 8 PORTS 6 CHAMBERS( 4 tops 4 sides) and bbl with 2 ports, It shoots flat, but its heavy. HS7 works best with my setup -9.8gr and Zero 125JHP.

I was hoping with Shoto it will lightened the gun a little bit. I dont mind putting more holes on the bbl. I can still make major 165PF IPSC.

My 25lbs of hoarded HS7 are almost gone, plannning of swtiching to HS6.

I am entertaining the idea of milling the buffer on my side ports and make one HUGE BUFFER WITH SIDE PORT,

Hello: I would use a titanium Bedell comp and cut the last side ports off if you want a real light comp. The Shoto comp I tried was alright but there is better comps out there for 9mm major. Lots of holes in the barrel equals lots of powder. I use HS-6, Silhouette, Auto Comp and 3N37 for 9mm major. Once the 3N37 is gone I will not be replacing it. I want to try Alliant powder next but have to see which one will work. Thanks, Eric

I have limited experience with other comps but have been told my 9mm (full length, shoto comp, no holes) is 'flat' by by other more experience shooters.

To me, the dot appears to sqiggle and I would rather see a vertical line. Probably have a bad grip or something.

8.2gr HS6 @ 1.17"