Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 with comp. recoil problems

tackleman

I have a Glock 34 with a LWD threaded barrel and Maverick comp. Having trouble with slide coming back enough to eject spent round and rack the new round. Tried 11#, 13#, 15# and 17# recoil springs. Have tried several loads, including factory. I have tried 124 gr lead round nose with 6.3 grains of Unique, over all length 1.169. That is a little more than max load. Trying to find loads with Unique powder. Any help would be appreciated.

I run 3.9gr/Unique under the 147gr Frontier plated bullet and get a PF of 138.

Remove the compensator and shoot the gun. Does it cycle?

The comp may be reducing the pressure to cycle the slide properly.

Ok, let's backpeddle just a might. What type of lube are you using on the recommended lube points and how much lube are you using? I have seen cycling problems with the factory "lube" and both factory and hand loads. Clean away the factory grease with any cleaner (not cleaner/lube) and use most any name brand lube like rem-oil, or any "gun lube" your gun store carries. DO NOT use WD-40. I know, some of what I said sounds insulting and I appologize for that. Reality is though, these are questions a Glock armorer would ask you.

Edited by Tom C

I use Gun Butter. Very little of it. It will do a little better with hotter loads. Also I have decided not to use lead! You can not insult me. Any help with reloads using Unique, ( or another powder, I just have a lot of Unique ) bullet weight and overall length would be greatly appreciated. This is my first comp and really want it to work. Also I am fairly new to Glocks. I have attached a pic of my gun!

post-48380-0-48870600-1371339461_thumb.j

Get a hold of autocomp, HS-6, or Silhouette and some 124gr JHP's. Do a search for 9 major loads in the reloading section. There's a couple of threads that will have load info in them. As far as lube goes, get some mobile one motor oil and call it done. In my limited open glock experience I learned not to be afraid of the lube.

Ok, if the lube points that Glock recommends are being "wetted" properly that leads me to next question. Has this always been a problem with this particular Glock? If yes, consider using some Tetra grease (as a lapping agent..or any other lapping compund you trust), apply it to all four rail guides (a dab at each guide) and work the slide 10-20 times. Clean reapply and repeat. Try this oh, 3-5 cycles and see if that doesn't help. It just sounds as thought the slide speed isn't there (and might be dragging on a spot or two).

It worked perfectly.

So what did you change?
He added a compensator.

A compensator does "steal" some of the recoil energy.... that's it's function. Is it possible there isn't enough left to cycle the slide reliably?

can this comp be "tuned" at all?

I see that. But he says "It" worked perfectly. The thread contained suggestions about powder, lead bullets, lube and I was wondering what solved his problem.

My suggestion is to do a deep cleaning of the pistol, re-assemble with light lube and the 11# recoil spring, load some proper 9 Major loads using a 124gn CMJ and HS-6, then all your problems might just go away. If you don't have HS-6, Autocomp, Silluette, 124gn CMJ or JHPs I'm sure someone does locally and is willing to trade/sell a little to you.

I really like Unique too, but it's too fast for compensated pistols.

• 2 weeks later...