Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are 5" bull barrels illegal for IDPA?

jmbaccolyte

I plan to buy a STI Tactical 5.0 for carry and would really like to participate in IDPA matches with it, but it seems that because it has a full length "bull barrel", it's not allowed. I don't understand why this rule exists. Is it just an outdated rule from the old days when a five inch bull barrel meant the pistol was a heavily gunsmithed race gun?

Is it just an outdated rule from the old days when a five inch bull barrel meant the pistol was a heavily gunsmithed race gun?

I think so.

There are several rules like this that the management apparently has a lot of emotional investment in.

They justify disallowing it as a "competition" feature which is strange since the Head Knocker and your brand market such pistols as "tactical."

Oh, yes, the STI Tacticals have full length dust covers which is also verboten under the same thinking.

Thanks, I plan to go with the "STI Tactical 5.0" because I feel its better suited for carry than the "STI Edge". Mainly because the Tactical is available with tritium night sights versus the Edge's adjustable rear sight and mag well. I think night sights are valuable on a carry pistol, but mag wells are bulky (for carry) on an already large pistol. But clearly the Edge would be a better choice for competition.

I'd wondered about the full length dust cover, but thought since it was polymer and not steel that it was okay. Doesn't matter though with the "no full length bull barrels" rule.

I would understand if the bull barrel added significant weight to the pistol, but the Tactical is approximately 4 ounces lighter than a steel 1911.

Jim Watson- Thanks, I checked the STI website and you're right the rail is steel, so it's not allowed because of that also.

bonglee0507- Thanks, that's a great solution for most guys, but I prefer a heavy muzzle feel so I think the full length dust cover of the Tactical would be better for me.

Like everthing in life, IDPA is not perfect. I know a level playing field is important, but I'd rather compete with my carry pistol with full power (180-190 power factor for the .40 S&W) ammo, than carry one gun and compete with another model, even if the others in the ESP class are using 130 power factor ammo. Having the best pistol I can afford is important to me for concealed carry. They'll probably laugh at my concealment vest at the USPSA match, which is too bad because the guys at the local IDPA club matches are great guys and I don't know anyone at the local USPSA matches because I haven't been there yet. I prefer IDPA's attempt at "a practical shooting sport" (as mentioned in IDPA Principles # 5 & 6 of the rule book) and having to wear a concealment garment. I appreciate the help, thanks.

Hello: The STI 5" tactical is a heavy pistol to carry all day. I would get either the Eagle with bushing barrel or a VIP for daily carry. The Eagle will work for IDPA and shoot 180PF loads just fine. As for why bull barrels are not allowed, the game rule book says so. Same reason a 5" revolver is not allowed. Thanks, Eric

wes777- Thanks. It's not ideal for Limited, but I wouldn't win anyway. I'm okay with that.

Aircooled6racer- I prefer full sized guns for practice, I like the way they shoot and recoil enough to put up with their large size while carrying. And I want to practice with what I carry. Are the Eagle or VIP lighter than the Tactical with equal barrel lengths? At 34 oz. the Tactical is lighter than my 1911 singlestack or my Tanfoglio Match and I have carried them just fine, but I'm looking to upgrade. As for why bull barrels or more properly I guess, "cone barrels" aren't allowed, I meant to ask why the rule book limits technology in such an assinine fashion and Jim Watson answered that question. The game part of it isn't that big an issue with me and I think that since two of the IDPA six guiding Principles mention "practical shooting sport"; the Founders of IDPA must have hoped it would be good training for life outside the "game". It's like limiting Formula One race cars to a very few sets of tires to "save the competitors money" when the Ferrari race team has 600 employees, not to mention every team's costs of traveling around the world with two or three dozen people and several semi-trailers worth of equipment every race season.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

The reason is that when IDPA was started most production and custom guns were not bull barrel guns. If bull barrels were suddenly allowed it would start an equipment race for any "perceived" advantage that a bull barrel has. This is how it was explained on the IDPA forum and you can look there for a better written answer to your question.

Is it just an outdated rule from the old days when a five inch bull barrel meant the pistol was a heavily gunsmithed race gun?

I think so.

There are several rules like this that the management apparently has a lot of emotional investment in.

They justify disallowing it as a "competition" feature which is strange since the Head Knocker and your brand market such pistols as "tactical."

Oh, yes, the STI Tacticals have full length dust covers which is also verboten under the same thinking.

The reason is that when IDPA was started most production and custom guns were not bull barrel guns. If bull barrels were suddenly allowed it would start an equipment race for any "perceived" advantage that a bull barrel has. This is how it was explained on the IDPA forum and you can look there for a better written answer to your question.

Thank you, both; and Thanks to everyone who responded to help me out, I appreciate it.

I know they do. But the other side of their mouth finds us with allegedly "stock" Glocks with 2 lb triggers, fancy sights, and lead bullet barrels. Not to mention the tricks you can play with a CZ before it gets promoted.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I would favor SSP being held to actual stock condition and open up the customization and enhancement for CDP and ESP. Those guns are already expensive, why hold them back with finicky details?

Edited by Jim Watson

So in other words, allowing them would be good for the economy, even tho there wouldn't really be any advantage to a bull barrel (if there was, people wouldn't be successful with crappy lightweight plastic guns).