Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade Questions

I have been loading on a 550 since 2003. I load about 20k 9mm per year and 10k .223. With small quantities of .45acp and .308 to be loaded soon. Say 5k/2k respectively.

I am thinking about buying a new press and making my 550 large primer only.

Should I go all the way to a 1050? I like the swaging feature and the time savings. Although, I know I'll still have to prep the rifle brass so it's only saving 1 step there. Or should I just buy another 550 and add a case&bullet feeder for 9mm? I am pretty much anti 650 at this point as I already have 550 tool heads etc, but if someone can give me a compelling reason I will take another look at it.

Cash is no concern for any of these machines at least, no I can't buy a camdex, but my dillon stuff has payed for its self many times over. I want to make the most ammo, with the least effort, and it still be consistent, in the least amount of time. I don't enjoy pulling levers for hours at a time like some of you guys.

Since you are loading rifles I would also go with the 1050. The 1050 is a must if you are reloading military brass with crimped primers.

I'm cranking out plenty already I don't know that its a must but not using the swager would be nice.

Brian

I ordered my press for you because you have put a wealth of info on your site. This is the best info and forum on the net.

That being said, we still like to discuss our own individual situations...It breaks up the monotony while we wait for components to reload.

j

I've read the FAQs. I just don't know if its worth it to me to not have to swage brass. I shoot mostly military brass and its all crimped. I would like to crank out larger runs 10-15k at a time of rifle and pistol ammo. Instead of my usual midnight wednesday night load session before I leave for a match thursday.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just curious. The OP stated that a years shooting was 37 thousand per year. He wants to load almost half that amount in one session. Do a lot of people load 50-100% of their year's supply in one session? I'm the load 2-3 outings worth at a time type.

Edited by Youngeyes

I've read the FAQs. I just don't know if its worth it to me to not have to swage brass. I shoot mostly military brass and its all crimped. I would like to crank out larger runs 10-15k at a time of rifle and pistol ammo. Instead of my usual midnight wednesday night load session before I leave for a match thursday.

For loading large amounts of brass with crimped primer pockets, of course the 1050 is the ultimate machine.

Where it isn't the ultimate machine - when you need to switch to another caliber to load just a couple thousand rounds, then switch to another caliber.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just curious. The OP stated that a years shooting was 37 thousand per year. He wants to load almost half that amount in one session. Do a lot of people load 50-100% of their year's supply in one session? I'm the load 2-3 outings worth at a time type.

I don't load it all in one session, but I try and load my annual supply in one month. It gets too hot here to load year round if you are banished to your garage. The 1050 is totally worth the cost considering the time it saves me.

1050 it is then. I'll keep the 550 for large primer stuff and hammer out buckets of 9mm and .223 before I change.

I am moving about 200 miles north where they don't shoot all year around and I usually take off after BRM3G until the first of the year from shooting anyway. Hopefully in that 3 months I can load all my practice/match ammo for 2014. Or at least the bulk of it.

1050 it is then. I'll keep the 550 for large primer stuff and hammer out buckets of 9mm and .223 before I change.

I am moving about 200 miles north where they don't shoot all year around and I usually take off after BRM3G until the first of the year from shooting anyway. Hopefully in that 3 months I can load all my practice/match ammo for 2014. Or at least the bulk of it.

Very nice choice sir