Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sad News

Tree Rat

Called TNT today & looks to them like Star will wrap up business at the end of '04. Word is out & now Star orders are 1 month behind. I hope the owners of Star reconsider & keep supplying us with an excellent product at an excellent price.

I TOO HAVE BEEN CRYING OVER THE LOSS of star. i would drive by and get a 1000 fmj's for a little over 40 dollars. i hate to say it but if i cann't find some real cheap bullets i'm not going to be able to shoot as much. maybe they will sell me the business and i'll make bullets!!!! drream weaver i'll get you through the nighttt..... ah poop on a stick!

maybe they will sell me the business and i'll make bullets!!!!

That is a possibility for someone. ALthough I heard the owner got a very good price for the property ; someone will certainly be buying up the equipment and hopefully keep making good bullets with it B)

Adam

I've been satisfied with the quality, service and prices of Zero bullets.

http://www.rozedist.com

I should hope at those prices, which is the biggest reason to mourn Star's demise.

TR :(

Zero's prices include shipping, right?

Not a help when you can drive past a Star Distributor and pick up a bulk order of 147 gr. nines for less than $40 a thousand.....

Nik - Not too many of us are as fortunately located as you are. ;)

Flexmoney - That's correct, shipping is included. That (IMO) is what makes them such a good deal. Not to mention the fact that I get 1.5" groups at 25 yards from my stock CZ-75B with their 125 grain JHP. :D

Star was a family owned and operated company for over 40 years. It is just unfortunate that they are closing their doors. I think they made the best bullet that nobody shot. They were, for good reason, very popular with the local shooters not only because of price, but also because of quality. The owner is a first rate individual.

try getting Zero to give you a deal on a bulk purchase if you pick them up. Last year I happened to be going right by the plant and and called ahead to askhow much about 30K 180 JHP would be if I picked them up. They told me (with a straight face) that shipping was included and it would be the same whether I picked them up or had them delivered. I'm a cheap skate by birth, but I'll pay more for someone elses stuff before I'll buy from them again.

We used to have distributors here that would buy Star in bulk, then repackage them with their own name. After they quit that, we discovered where they'd been getting them from and ordered direct until they started getting hinky about individual sales. Now we bulk-order Hornady's by the truckload.

As far as cost are concerned, bullets are bullets..and shipping is shipping. They all cost.

Zero has a policy of not knocking anything off the price if you pick them up.

Star had a policy of not shipping to individuals.

I think both policies are faulty.

As far as cost are concerned, bullets are bullets..and shipping is shipping. They all cost.

Zero has a policy of not knocking anything off the price if you pick them up.

Star had a policy of not shipping to individuals.

I think both policies are faulty.

Continuing to charge someone for a cost not incurred is one thing. I call it unethical. You might call it something else.

Star did not sell to individuals, in general*, because they were trying to protect the commercial bullet suppliers they engaged in large scale business with (TNT,Wideners, Southern Bell). I call that respectful. You might call it something else.

*Star was happy to do business with you if you had a retail merchants certificate or FFL (didn't matter which one, just an FFL). Recently, they adopted the policy of selling directly to those who were members of gun or conservation clubs. You could always walk in the door and by 2nds off the shelf, which were often as good as the 1st's and better than most other peoples bullets in the same or higher price ranges IMO.

i never had any problems with there 2nd's. they just weren't always pretty like the 1st's but i didn't think paper or steele cared. i've even bought their scrape at $10 per 10 pounds. thats almost 500 rounds for 10 bucks! sure you have to sort them but i've got 90% or better out of the box's i've gone through. they never had enough of these around to count on them. what they called scrape were hollow points that didn't punch clean and had some lead left in the hole or if a batch had a few bullets get crushed they threw out the whole batch.

i've been looking trying to find a good deal and everything seems to be $65 and up per thousand do you guys know of anything cheaper with out going to lead?

I purchased direct from Star for over 8 years. Great quality, great services, and great prices.

For example:

Roze Distribution (Directly from their web site)- 40S&W, 180, FMJ $74.45/1000 (Includes Shipping). An order for 5000 totals $372.25.

Star - 40S&W, 180, FMJ $47.00/1000. I recently purchased 5000 and with $70 shipping added, the total was $305.00, a savings of $67.25 (18%).

18% is a significant difference in price. Unfortunately, Star's demise will possibly fuel price increases from the other suppliers due to the loss of a low cost competitor.

:(