Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hitting slide stop unintentionally

niroth81

I have only been pistol shooting for about 4 month so I'm still learning a lot. I seem to have a bit of an issue when I'm shooting a friends glock34 where I manage to prevent th slide locking back on an empty magazine. I know it is because of my grip and hand positions, but I also know that my grip and hand position is good. (I've had a lot of shooters comment on my grip and hand positioning)

I think I've had this happen once on a tan fog stock, never on my cz sp01 shadow or a ruger rimfires.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's not really a huge issue for me as I don't shoot with a glock regularly or in competition but I wanted to see if I could find out what I might be doing wrong. I'd rather fix it if I can before developing any bad habits.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I shoot with a thumbs forward grip and am right handed.

Thanks guys

Jase

If you are using the high grip thumbs forward and the G34 extended slide release that is problem. Take the slide release off and replace with aG17 model. You can also bump the release and lock the slide back with

rounds still in the mag.

I second this. Drive the pins out, take the G34 slide stop out and throw it in the trash, install G17 slide stop, put pins back in (being sure to put the spring on it in the correct place) and drive on. You'll forget that this ever happened. :)

Why is it a problem with it not going to slide lock? If this is for USPSA, you really shouldn't ever get to there. If it's IDPA, I have no ideas on that as I've never shot it.

But, I find it's always easier to reload before slide lock.

What you are doing, though, is riding the slide lock with your thumb. I do this all the time with any pistol without a thumb safety for me to ride on. You can correct your grip, or just not worry about it.

It's not really a big problem. I just wanted to work out why/how I was doing it. I've only been pistol shooting for about 5 months, only just getting into IPSC, and counting rounds is still something I'm getting used to (Here in Australia we have 10 round capacity limits).

The glock I am using definitely has the extended slide stop lever. I've tried using a thumbs off grip but I don't find it terribly comfortable or natural. I've worked on my grip and thumb positions and it's not happening at all now.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Jase

It's a common problem. Shift your right thumb slightly off the frame of the gun and you'll have less problems with slide lock. Plan your reloads so you never shoot to slide lock during a match.

Just be careful...too much thumb is a bad thing, and you'll see your shots drift. My glock has the extended stop and I used to have that problem...to be fair, I still am considering replacing it with a basic stop.

Regards,

John

I have only been pistol shooting for about 4 month so I'm still learning a lot. I seem to have a bit of an issue when I'm shooting a friends glock34 where I manage to prevent th slide locking back on an empty magazine. I know it is because of my grip and hand positions, but I also know that my grip and hand position is good. (I've had a lot of shooters comment on my grip and hand positioning)

I think I've had this happen once on a tan fog stock, never on my cz sp01 shadow or a ruger rimfires.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's not really a huge issue for me as I don't shoot with a glock regularly or in competition but I wanted to see if I could find out what I might be doing wrong. I'd rather fix it if I can before developing any bad habits.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I shoot with a thumbs forward grip and am right handed.

Thanks guys

Jase

Geese, I had the opposite issue so bad with my Les Baer that I quit shooting her. I'm left handed and my trigger finger would hit it on almost every shot, unless I really watched it and then I would suffer everywhere else. My fix was get a 2011 the slide release is recessed. Now the Baer is a safe queen. Maybe I'll try Single Stack again, someday? Edited by a matt

• 3 weeks later...

With my open Glock, I finally had to grind off the tab on the slide release. The gun will still lock open on an empty mag, but there is no way that I can accidentally lock it open with a thumbs forward grip. I don't have this problem on my G34/35 and can only assume that is has something to do with the position of the Cmore mount that makes my grip just different enough to activate the slide release during recoil.