Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best training strategy for a busy guy?

DrLove

folks, I'm really enjoying shooting USPSA and have been progressing fine so far. But I'm assuming without any more systematic training, I'm not going to progress further. Now what's the best training strategy you guys think for a guy who works 60hrs a week???

Fundamentals, transisitions. Dryfire as much as you can w/o upsetting the balance of your home life. Live fire, alway have a plan and don't try to do it all. Pick a specific skill, preferably a weakness and make it an asset. Now if I can do as I say. Lol. Hope this helps. I'm sure you will get a lot of help here. Thanks

Edited by a matt

Even if you can only give 8 hrs a week, that's enough if you do it right. 1st thing I would do is find the best teacher and take a class. It will save you tons of time wasted.

Even if you can only give 8 hrs a week, that's enough if you do it right. 1st thing I would do is find the best teacher and take a class. It will save you tons of time wasted.

So where are those classes you guys speak about?

Universal shooting academy in Fl. Manny Bragg # 1/ Shannon Smith / Frank Garcia, Max/Bkake in Louisiana, Todd Jerrett in NC. Matt Burkett to Rob Latham in Az. Any of them you can't go wrong. Mike Seeklander, David Pruitt. Pick one close to you and call, they will take care of the rest. Good luck

Don't try practicing everything at one time in the limited time you have. Pick a skill, say reloads. Continue to work them until you reach a temporary plateau. Switch skills, say transitions. Work them until you reach a temporary plateau. Repeat.

Plenty of research suggesting that you make faster progress working on one skill at a time.

Frequency is more important than rd count when you train. If you really want to get better than you must figure out a way to make regular time to train every week ... You are far better off shooting even only 100 rds/ week than 400 rds once a month. As Steve Anderson likes to say (another great instructor BTW) once you DECIDE you wan to get better you wil figure out how to do it. Lot's of people say they want to become a Master class shooter or GM or whatever but than you find out they stil have 4 other hobbies and only dry fire occasionally and live fire twice a month ....

Lastly, as was already mentioned, go take a class from one of the above instructors, it will literally save you years of trying to figure out this stuff on your own ...

Welcome to the addiction ....

IMO, you need to commit to the dedicated practice time BEFORE taking a class. If you don't dedicate the time, you could end up spending money on the class and travel with no improvement because you didn't dedicate the time afterward.

Great

IMO, you need to commit to the dedicated practice time BEFORE taking a class. If you don't dedicate the time, you could end up spending money on the class and travel with no improvement because you didn't dedicate the time afterward.

Great point!

Universal shooting academy in Fl. Manny Bragg # 1/ Shannon Smith / Frank Garcia, Max/Bkake in Louisiana, Todd Jerrett in NC. Matt Burkett to Rob Latham in Az. Any of them you can't go wrong. Mike Seeklander, David Pruitt. Pick one close to you and call, they will take care of the rest. Good luck

Any classes in the North west guys?

You know, you should call Steve Anderson. I'm sure if you arranged for some students and it was cost effective for him, he would come to you. He might even video conference with you.

Learning up front the correct technique and then applying that technique effectively 3-4 times a week in DRYFIRE will GREATLY reduce the learning curve. DRYFIRE is scary powerful, scary powerful. Couple that with a time or two a week live fire, say a practice then a match, WOW, then you got something.

Edited to add: I've trained with Manny, Cheely, Keen, Barcelo, and Anderson, all were outstanding.

Biggest bang for buck was GM Chris Keen and just shooting a match with him and getting everything on video and his breakdown and critique afterwards. I payed him to pick his brain and i asked so much stuff it was a blasts. It was the first time in 8 years i got to really pick a GM's brain. Also, payed him to do a basic one on one in which we set up small stages and I would learn to copy him basically.

If time is a constraint, I'd go with Anderson. You will get solid technique and with just 30 or so min a couple 3 times a week the gains are incredible. As I said before, DRYFIRE = SCARY POWERFUL..

Edited by Chris iliff

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now what's the best training strategy you guys think for a guy who works 60hrs a week?

You need to remove all the wasted time from your training regimen, so you can dry-fire a few minutes here and there and have it all be productive. For instance, keep your shooting belt, holster, and mag pouches on a pair of shorts, ready to go. Have a closet you can open up with miniature targets taped up. Keep your timer, training log, and list of drills out, ready to go.

Now what's the best training strategy you guys think for a guy who works 60hrs a week?

You need to remove all the wasted time from your training regimen, so you can dry-fire a few minutes here and there and have it all be productive. For instance, keep your shooting belt, holster, and mag pouches on a pair of shorts, ready to go. Have a closet you can open up with miniature targets taped up. Keep your timer, training log, and list of drills out, ready to go.

+1 dryfire pants really increased my actual dryfire time. When the kids go in the tub I switch pants, throw the gun in the holster and go to work on what I left open the day before. When I am done I set up for the next day. I generally go until the family comes in and demands I stop, but in theory I could actually knock out a 15 minute session in 15 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

This is something that I continually struggle with too! If you can carve out even 15 minutes a day to dryfire your going to start seeing huge gains. When I first started to regularly dryfire it was a complete cluster and if I'm honest with myself I wasn't actually learning anything. Do yourself a favor and go buy Ben Stoegers Dryfire book (it's his second book, i think it says Vol 2 on the cover), he isolates skills in the book, gives you the drill, and gives you times for different skill levels. After working that book since Jan I'm convinced that if you can do 70% of those drills in the advanced times he lays out you'll be a GM. Use the dryfire-live fire- dryfire loop! Basically you learn the skills in dryfire and then go live fire to measure your progression, do drills that are repeatable so you can actually measure performance gains.

I agree with taking a class at some point, best money I've spent so far on shooting was taking a class from a top level production shooter. I was a IDPA SSP Master and USPSA Production B when I took my class if that means anything, I'm now Production A.

This is something that I continually struggle with too! If you can carve out even 15 minutes a day to dryfire your going to start seeing huge gains. When I first started to regularly dryfire it was a complete cluster and if I'm honest with myself I wasn't actually learning anything. Do yourself a favor and go buy Ben Stoegers Dryfire book (it's his second book, i think it says Vol 2 on the cover), he isolates skills in the book, gives you the drill, and gives you times for different skill levels. After working that book since Jan I'm convinced that if you can do 70% of those drills in the advanced times he lays out you'll be a GM. Use the dryfire-live fire- dryfire loop! Basically you learn the skills in dryfire and then go live fire to measure your progression, do drills that are repeatable so you can actually measure performance gains.

I agree with taking a class at some point, best money I've spent so far on shooting was taking a class from a top level production shooter. I was a IDPA SSP Master and USPSA Production B when I took my class if that means anything, I'm now Production A.

Ben also has a podcast and teaches classes.

folks, I'm really enjoying shooting USPSA and have been progressing fine so far. But I'm assuming without any more systematic training, I'm not going to progress further. Now what's the best training strategy you guys think for a guy who works 60hrs a week???

And duh-uh, lurk all the shooting forums while you're at work:)

Analyse your typical week and you should be able to identify lots of small time sauces where you don't really do anything productive. Fill those times with shooting stuff ... I usually get home about 1 hr before my wife and are able to accomplish lots of training (dry fire, grip strength, trigger control exercises, gun cleaning, reloading, etc) so that when she gets home I can focus on stuff related to her and shooting doesn't get in the way