Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black out fiber front sight?

G34 CORDY

Iam going to use my CZ Shadow Custom for Limited Minor until I can get a Custom Limited gun built, I have a fiber red front sight and want to start using a black front but if I don't have to change out the sight that would be great. Can I use a marker to black it out or something else?

I like the plain black front sight better too. On the guns that still have a FO, i used a sharpie to color both ends of the FO rod and also the top where I could reach it. I the sharpie tends to wear off the smooth surface, so it may help to very carefully sand or roughen the bulb of the rod that points towards the shooter, and shen sharpie it.

After shooting guns with a black front going back to fiber is alittle distracting and I focus more on the fiber than anything else. Also it's alot easier for me to hit steel with a black front.

Use automotive touch-up paint, with brush. To me, it works much better than black magic marker.

Yeah I just tried a marker and didn't work so well now I will try some touch up paint.

Use Sight Black. I get the idea that it was a real common product for bullseye shooters. I was introduced to it when I needed to black out my FO for a GSSF match.http://www.midwayusa.com/product/504999/birchwood-casey-sight-black-3-1-2-oz-aerosol

Looks promising. Does it completely turn the fiber black and it says it can be removed? How long does it last? Thanks for the link.

Cordy,

The "common product for bullseye shooters" is actually a calcium carbide lamp. The flame produces a carbon soot that coats the sight. These products are still available from http://www.Ray-Vin.com.

The Casey's Sight Black is a flat black paint. It's not nearly as good as the carbide lamp, but still does an acceptable job...and is far more convenient to use.

Both just wipe off when cleaning the pistol...or on your pants and shirt when shooting.

A-G

Edited by All-Gator

• 2 weeks later...