Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's with strings of commas?

I don't understand. Why do people use strings of 5 or 6 commas in posts when one comma would suffice?

For example,,,,,,I see people write that kind of thing frequently;;;;;;;;is it supposed to mean something different than just a single punctuation mark?

Just,,,,,,,you know,,,,,,wondering,,,,,

DogmaDog

My guess~~~for whatever it's worth????is that people are using multiple commas (,,,) to indicate an ellipsis (...). But what do I know, I use an ?.

?x [Mx ? ?y (Wyx)]; where x and y are members of the universe, M is a single-place function that indicates x uses multiple commas in posting, and W is a two-place function that indicates that the first member of the universe listed has no idea WTF the second member is talking about.

I use strings of ....... frequently to indicate unfinished thoughts. I also often use ------ to separate clauses that would normally be delineated by commas. I've noticed that I can often recognize who authored a specific reply on the board simply by looking at punctuation or noticing word choice.....

When you program international phone numbers into a modems software a comma is a pause. The more comma's the longer the pause. Maybe the users of multiple comma's have the same intention? Getting the tone of your statements across is tough sometimes and creative punctuation can help so I am all for it.

-ld

Guest Larry Cazes

Yup.....I use periods to indicate a pause with emphasis on the statement following them. :D Text postings like this on a forum are so impersonal.

My guess~~~for whatever it's worth????is that people are using multiple commas (,,,) to indicate an ellipsis (...). But what do I know, I use an ?.

?x [Mx ? ?y (Wyx)]; where x and y are members of the universe, M is a single-place function that indicates x uses multiple commas in posting, and W is a two-place function that indicates that the first member of the universe listed has no idea WTF the second member is talking about.

The first four question marks are a club, a diamond, a heart, and a spade, respectively. The fifth is an Apple apple. The sixth is a symbol for universal (an upside-down A), the seventh is a sideways horseshoe (which means "If..., then....") and the eighth is a symbol for existential (a backwards E).

My FCC aproved answer is that back in the day I did lots of instant messeging. A string of 'something' was kind of a pause but not a break. A way of using speach patterns in typing. Seemed to make sense then and I just carried it over I quess,,,

I HAVE heard rumblings that CERTAIN groups believe that this is a code to members of the mysterious 'Vast Right Wing Conspiricy'. I can niether confirm nor deny these rumors. Nor can I discuss the matter any longer,,,my hair wants to have another chat about international terrorism...

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

3QT, hmmmm

Yesss. If you lay out an array of commas in an inverted cross of the right dimensions, you've just designated a landing pad for one of the BLACK HELICOPTERS!

9 meters tall, 6 meters wide. Make sure you use meters...the devious, secular units of measurement employed by the UN CONSPIRACY

DD

anything....... to /////////confuse ,,,,,,,,,the ---------reader and ========distract him/her+++++++++ from the ||||||||||true meaning :::::::::::: of the post ''''''''''which might """""""""""""actually have no±±±±±±±±±±±± meaning at all, but ²²0▓ÆÉ·Æc2ϲ²0▓ the reader only realises ^^^^^^^^this when it is already too######### late to do anything @@@@@@@to it or about it!

:rolleyes::P:rolleyes: