Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 and Varget

BOOST

Im about to run out of H335 which I really like using because its meters well and is very accurate. not so very easy to get right now so I will start using Varget which I have 8 pounds of. But I've been reading that Varget does not meter well. How bad is it really? do I really need to use my electronic trickler and charge each round by hand instead of using my 550B?

I used Varget at first for .223 and .308 but I was getting the occasional +/- .3 drops. If I accidentally bumped the press or put a little extra effort sizing a case it might be +.4. Very good accuracy but couldn't deal with the variances. You may want to check out TAC or CFE223.

Shooting out of an AR 14.5 w/1:7 twist , and up to 100yds max BTW................Would +/- .4 variance hurt accuracy a lot? Would it affect the bolt cycling rate( I normally adjust the gas block to where it starts to short stroke, then make one complete turn open) ?

Shooting out of an AR 14.5 w/1:7 twist , and up to 100yds max BTW................Would +/- .4 variance hurt accuracy a lot? Would it affect the bolt cycling rate( I normally adjust the gas block to where it starts to short stroke, then make one complete turn open) ?

+/- .4 will hurt consistency and thus your accuracy because your velocity and potentially your POI will be different on those hotter rounds. If you are trying to shoot small groups then expect a few flyers. Now, my .223 ARs have a red dot and I shoot mostly 25-50 yards so baseball sized groups at 50 yards are fine for me out of that rifle. If you dont load close to max for Varget then that + .4 won't get you into trouble and should not change your cycle rate enough to matter.

After loading .308 rounds for my bolt gun I just prefer more consistency but lots of folks use Varget for .223/5.56.

Edited by Dirty Rod

I used Varget for awhile and switched to TAC just for the problem your describing. You can load Varget on a 550, you just need to go slow. Pull the handle down, count to three, even tap the powder funnel.

I used Varget for awhile and switched to TAC just for the problem your describing. You can load Varget on a 550, you just need to go slow. Pull the handle down, count to three, even tap the powder funnel.

Ok, now that i can do. Might be a little slow but the electronic trickler would take forever. Varget will just be temporary(main use was for 260 , 308, & Grendel) .Will try TAC eventually when climate calms down..

Thanks guys

Althou I don't use dillon powder measurers, a friend of mine swears by them, and he loads a LOT of Varget.

He totally dismantles the powder measure and polishes everything that has powder flowing on it and all parts that move against each other, especially the powder funnel. I think he told me one time he gets +or- .2 gn variance, which should be acceptable.

I use RCBS measures (on dillon loaders) with case activated linkages, no fuss no muss...no bridging, no cussing...:)

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Althou I don't use dillon powder measurers, a friend of mine swears by them, and he loads a LOT of Varget.

He totally dismantles the powder measure and polishes everything that has powder flowing on it and all parts that move against each other, especially the powder funnel. I think he told me one time he gets +or- .2 gn variance, which should be acceptable.

jj

You shouldn't mention ideas like this. This is gonna make me tear apart all seven of my powder charges and start polishing like crazy !!! :-)

Im using VV140, which meters similar to Varget (+-0.2gr), for my 69gr loads. Even with that variance, its more consistent over the chrono than loads with H335 that meters like water.

So, I dont worry about it :)

I,d like to see your RCBS setup on the Dillon. I've got a couple of RCBS measures and a recent Dillion 650XL. If I could save some bucks on a caliber conversion that would be great.

Order the RCBS Case Activated Linkage for the powder measure (about $75) from Midway. That is all you need. The micrometer adjustment is best, but not required. Follow the installation instructions and it should work fine. Elimininates the fail safe rod and all that other stuff, leaving a simple powder measure that works with stick powders, and you have more choices ss to what station you do powder drop in.

jj

• 3 weeks later...

I use varget for 308 and 223. 223 is loaded fully progressively on a 550. The trick for me was to ream out the powder funnell to prevent the varget from bridging. I did polish out the bottom of the powder dispenser and metal parts also. The 550b throws very consistent 24 gr charges that works well out of my Colt LE. I check every 10th round or so and they're right on.

Tap your handle an extra time and wait two seconds for powder to drop. Should get you into a range of .2. I checked 20 rounds in a row and that was the spread. I prep and re-size brass in a separate process so I don't worry about flinging powder from jerking when sizing a tight case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One thing that I don't like about varget is that my little 223case is so full, the powder sloshes out as the shell plate turns. After a while I have a mess on the press and bench. I'm not going hog wild loading, and try to be smooth, but it still happens. Due to this I have just stuck with my load of 335 for 55 gr bullets. It shoots very nice out of my rifle and I save my varget for my 308. Just something to consider.

after reading all these threads/posts... what have you, i think i will keep Varget at the store. 223 308 and 45acp will be my main reloading. what powder should i start out using? where can i buy it? everywhere is sold out of everything... the gun shop down the street has a lot of stuff in and im good one everything except powder. thoughts??

I'd not recommend Varget for that configuration. Varget is slower than some other powders and it burns hotter (more efficient) which results in more gas port, barrel crown and comp erosion, especially in the short length gas systems and barrels. In 18" rifle length, it is not a big deal, but I certainly would not run it in a carbine gas system or a barrel under 18".

I would consider H335, Xterminator, 2230 and maybe TAC for the shorter barrel.

<quote>

I would consider H335, Xterminator, 2230 and maybe TAC for the shorter barrel.</quote>

This thread bums me out. Locally I've been able to purchase a pound each of ar-comp and varget. Combined with the few 55 gr hornadays And 175 gr smks i figured I could at least get started on loading for 223/308. Now it sounds like a) not ideal powders and B) tough to meter. Aargh, ready for the great panic to subside. Fortunately I have stockpiled enough factory rounds to keep shooting, but the ammo fort is shrinking.

Edited by fishsticks

• 2 weeks later...

I,d like to see your RCBS setup on the Dillon. I've got a couple of RCBS measures and a recent Dillion 650XL. If I could save some bucks on a caliber conversion that would be great.

Here's my setup since I have a picture of it :)

post-3273-0-37402900-1374078296_thumb.jp