Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Div Scope

ogiebb

i have decided to shoot tactical div in 3 gun..i did a lot of search in the forums and found some good pointers on what scope to use but it also stirred up some stuff for me(too much info ). trijicons ACOG has got to be one of the best out there but the price is just not for me...please suggest a scope for tactical Div that is less than $300. i would really appreciate it...Eotech is one on my list so please more info on some more....thanks :)

if your going for a stand alone optic i would go for a 1.5-6 power scope. I may be wrong about the brand, but i think Benny Hill uses a Simmions scope in that power range. If you shoot only close range stuff, nothing beats the speed of a red dot type scope.

For me the line gets drawn as to what type of 3 gunning you do. If most of the targets are inside of 200 yds it is very difficult to beat the Eotech. I love mine (more on it later). If you are consistently engaging targets at longer distances 250+yds something with magnification becomes advantagious. I have no opinion here, I am still experiementing but the trijicon accupoint scopes seem to be very popular.

On the Eotech. I have had mine for 2 yrs aprox 6k rds. (one trip to Gunsite)and have loved every minute of it. It has proven durable, effective (inside 75 yds its like cheating), and worth every penny. From 100-200 yds the one minute of angle dot allows plenty of precision and for me is still quicker than anything with magnification. Beyond 200-250 yds its not a matter of the dot but rather target aquisition due to the distance. I prefer the Eotech to the aimpoint because there is no feeling of looking through a tube, as well as the Eo's reticle is much more useful. For hosing put the 65moa circle on it and bang away as fast as you can the hits will be there. For any precision the 1moa dot doesn't hide the target as much as a 4,6,or8 moa dot would. Good luck in your search let me know if you have any other questions, Craig

if your going for a stand alone optic i would go for a 1.5-6 power scope. I may be wrong about the brand, but i think Benny Hill uses a Simmions scope in that power range. If you shoot only close range stuff, nothing beats the speed of a red dot type scope.

i remember reading about benny uses a shotgun scope for his AR..i will also look into that ..thanks :D ....but i would really like a red dot on my AR

I'd personally get the Simmons if I was restricted to $300.

But if you really want a red dot, I'd also recommend/want/second a EOTech.

I put on a C-More on my rifle for kicks and I found it hella fast. But I wouldn't recommend the C-More because of zeroing issues (the initial zero is a pain and it's questionable if it would hold zero well enough to be usable past 200 yards). I find the non-tube design faster.

Like the others said, if you're going to shoot mostly close range stuff ... and especially if you're going to shoot at CQB distances ... the red dot is the way to go. I just got an EOTech on my car gun and I wish I'd gone with it in the first place. It really is a first rate piece of gear.

The Aimpoint Comp ML is also very good and has the advantage of the beautifully round and sharp dot.

I think the EOTech's one minute dot is better for the stuff past 75 yards or so, though, and the 65 minute ring is cool for hosing close stuff.

Another option would be a Tasco PDP5CMP if you can find one.

If you're going to shoot slightly longer distances, the variable power telescopic sight can't be beat for overall utility. I like the Leupold Vari-X II 1-4X20mm, but I can't speak for the newer VXII scope with the same specs that replaced it, as I've never used or even seen one. There are a variety of 1.5-5 and 1.5-6 scopes from Nikon, Burris, Pentax, Leupold, and others that would serve you well.

Next 3-gun match look me up and I will let you shoot my Aimpoint Comp, I wont make Malibar but I will be at CFRPC, the Aimpoint red dot works great for our South East fast close in stuff. I want to try an Accupoint for stuff I plan on shooting out west.

My Aimpoint works alot better for me than the Eotech did, just how my eyes center the dot, I like the fact that the batteries last forever also.

The Benny Hill Simmons idea is good also.

Just ask around, at the next match you should be able to try out whatever you want.

great info :D now at least i got it down to 2 Eotech and aimpoint....the cmore tactical was a close third because of the extra iron sights or flip up that it has on the back..if im getting the eotech what model do you guys prefer and what dot or reticle?...thanks again :D:D:D

Don't forget about the Weaver 1-3x20 variable. The magnification is a little light for shots over 300 yards, but it's a true 1 power reticle. On the hose stages I shoot with both eyes open and use the crosshairs like a dot. It's relatively compact, light weight, good clear glass, and it only costs about $150.

If your going to stick with the dot scopes, I would get the EOTech with the Saturn reticle. I would look at the 512 model. It uses AA batteries and has a relatively long battery life. It's also a little cheaper than the 552. The main difference is the 552 has setting for night vision. Don't pay the extra money unless you intend to do some real low light shooting.

Erik

great info :D now at least i got it down to 2 Eotech and aimpoint....the cmore tactical was a close third because of the extra iron sights or flip up that it has on the back..if im getting the eotech what model do you guys prefer and what dot or reticle?...thanks again :D:D:D

I chose the model 512.A65 which has:

A65 resticle (0ne minute dot inside of 65 minute circle) ... the best!

AA batteries (Eventually I will use Lithium cells instead of Alkaline due to better storage time and better performance in cold weather)

No night vision setting, though. That feature costs a bit more, and if I can ever afford decent night vision, getting a new EOTech to use with it won't be an issue.

Another strength of the EOTech is that you just screw it onto your flat top. With the Aimpoint, you have to worry over what kind of mount you want to use, which can be a significant additional expense.

I also have a backup rear sight. I chose the GG&G flip-up with an Ashley same plane aperture. A lot of people like the similar sight from ARMS.

Og,

Be careful the bushnell and Eotech are not the same scope. They are very similar however the Bushnell is not near as robust as the Eotech and also less likely to return to zero during mounting and unmounting. This is due to the mounting system which is related to the metal shroud over the Eo. The Bushnell's mounting system has some polymer contact points. The shroud is also a big benefit for the Eo in not only protection but durability for knocking it around on things.

At Gunsite two years ago my Eotech ran fine, no change of zero, no mount issues etc. However two guys had the Bushnell's and after multiple problems zeroing on day on and inability to hold zero on day two they shot irons the rest of the week.

YMMV

Og,

Be careful the bushnell and Eotech are not the same scope. They are very similar however the Bushnell is not near as robust as the Eotech and also less likely to return to zero during mounting and unmounting. This is due to the mounting system which is related to the metal shroud over the Eo. The Bushnell's mounting system has some polymer contact points. The shroud is also a big benefit for the Eo in not only protection but durability for knocking it around on things.

At Gunsite two years ago my Eotech ran fine, no change of zero, no mount issues etc. However two guys had the Bushnell's and after multiple problems zeroing on day on and inability to hold zero on day two they shot irons the rest of the week.

YMMV

thanks... :D

I have a Leupold 1-4 power on my Tactical AR. I think it gives the best of both worlds. 1 power for the majority of close courses and up to 4 power if you have a long shot or need the magnification for a tougher close shot. I used to have a 1.5-6 Burris and I liked that as well but the extra .5 magnification made it slower for up close.

For me the line gets drawn as to what type of 3 gunning you do. If most of the targets are inside of 200 yds it is very difficult to beat the Eotech. I love mine (more on it later). If you are consistently engaging targets at longer distances 250+yds something with magnification becomes advantagious. I have no opinion here, I am still experiementing but the trijicon accupoint scopes seem to be very popular.

On the Eotech. I have had mine for 2 yrs aprox 6k rds. (one trip to Gunsite)and have loved every minute of it. It has proven durable, effective (inside 75 yds its like cheating), and worth every penny. From 100-200 yds the one minute of angle dot allows plenty of precision and for me is still quicker than anything with magnification. Beyond 200-250 yds its not a matter of the dot but rather target aquisition due to the distance. I prefer the Eotech to the aimpoint because there is no feeling of looking through a tube, as well as the Eo's reticle is much more useful. For hosing put the 65moa circle on it and bang away as fast as you can the hits will be there. For any precision the 1moa dot doesn't hide the target as much as a 4,6,or8 moa dot would. Good luck in your search let me know if you have any other questions, Craig