Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant Power Pistol and .40 reloading

Fredo

Hello

Forgive me in advance if my searching abilities on this forum have not met your expectations. I have searched in this forum for reloading data/advice and tips when using Power Pistol for .40 S&W lead with no significant results. I am very experienced in reloading 9mm and .45 and have had great results with my loads.

While shopping, all I could find at the reloading store was four pounds of P.P. and decided to buy it since it was all they had left and because there is a loading (very vague) data in the Alliant catalog for .40S&W. Has anybody experienced with this type of powder before? I have an STI Edge and have not yet reloaded any ammo in this caliber before. Considering I would like to meet major power factor for USPSA.

Any advice on what could I use if Power Pistol is not considered a good powder for limited?

Thank you.

Edited by Fredo

Sorry no experience with PP and 40 but its worked great so far with my 10mm and makes a hell of a fireball. Very accurate out of my stock G20 and I do not load it up nuclear. I'm at the starting load which is 6.4 gr I believe without checking my notes and according to the stores manual I checked that is 950 fps. Good luck on your loads I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will chime in!

It will definitely work. It is not a preferred powder by most people loading 40 for USPSA because it's a little slower on the burning rate scale and is best suited to max loads as for defense or hunting type purposes. The negatives will be a bigger muzzle blast/fireball, and more noise and perceived recoil. I doubt it will be anything you can't work with in these times where powder is not easy to find. I do not have any load information for it, but I'm sure you can get some by looking around. When the powder supply loosens up some, you may want to look at some of the faster powders such as VV-N320, WST, Tightgroup, Solo-1000, and some others, which may not have some of the downsides of PP!

Mike

I found a load for 180g JHP in Lyman 48th Manual using Power Pistol: Start: 6.0g 876fps; Max: 6.9g 974fps. 974fps equals PF 175. 876fps equals PF 157. Start at the bottom and work your way up until you reach PF170 plus or minus. Do you have access to a Chrony? Let us know how this works out. If you're using lead drop the starting load .2

My experience with PP is in 2 Edges and 1 Para Limited all in 40S&W and due to slow burining nature....there was unburned powder laying around inside all pistols....bothersome yes....funtional yes.....prefered in my pistols no....but will use if in a hurt locker

I have a buddy that uses it in his edge. I'll ask him what his load is. Makes more fire than any open gun at our matches! :surprise:

Edited to add his recipe.

Stock STI Edge
165gr FMJ Montana Gold
6.5gr Power Pistol
Winchester Small Pistol Primer
OAL 1.135" (I think I load shorter than most shooting .40)
Misc Brass
PF 167 (5/1/10, 70 degrees, borrowed CED Millenium)
PF 171 (12/23/11, 41 degrees, my CED M2)

Edited by Sarge

Which bullet are you using?

I have not purchased any since there are none available. I have been loyal to Bear creek with my .45 since it gave me excellent results. I will try their 180 GR LFP as many have suggested.

Thank you for the interest.

I found a load for 180g JHP in Lyman 48th Manual using Power Pistol: Start: 6.0g 876fps; Max: 6.9g 974fps. 974fps equals PF 175. 876fps equals PF 157. Start at the bottom and work your way up until you reach PF170 plus or minus. Do you have access to a Chrony? Let us know how this works out. If you're using lead drop the starting load .2

I do have a chrony. Will order some .40 LFP from Bear creek and try them out. My Lyman shows 5.7gr of PP with a 10 to 1 alloy @ 180gr will give me 952 f/s, which I would not mind using to start since I need 916 f/s. My question is would this powder be something one would try for IPSC? I also have 231 and N350 that I use for SS and open respectively. When is this shortage going to end?

Thanks for the advice and interest.

I have a buddy that uses it in his edge. I'll ask him what his load is. Makes more fire than any open gun at our matches! :surprise:

Edited to add his recipe.

Stock STI Edge

165gr FMJ Montana Gold

6.5gr Power Pistol

Winchester Small Pistol Primer

OAL 1.135" (I think I load shorter than most shooting .40)

Misc Brass

PF 167 (5/1/10, 70 degrees, borrowed CED Millenium)

PF 171 (12/23/11, 41 degrees, my CED M2)

I will write it down for when I use fmj loads.

Thank you for the advice and interest

It will definitely work. It is not a preferred powder by most people loading 40 for USPSA because it's a little slower on the burning rate scale and is best suited to max loads as for defense or hunting type purposes. The negatives will be a bigger muzzle blast/fireball, and more noise and perceived recoil. I doubt it will be anything you can't work with in these times where powder is not easy to find. I do not have any load information for it, but I'm sure you can get some by looking around. When the powder supply loosens up some, you may want to look at some of the faster powders such as VV-N320, WST, Tightgroup, Solo-1000, and some others, which may not have some of the downsides of PP!

Mike

Hello. I have n350 that is a slower burning powder. I have never tried it with lead bullets before, only with fmj. I heard that titegroup is not the best option for lead since it smokes like a Diesel. I have heard great reviews about wst and n320, have not heard much about solo 1000.

Now the only issue is finding out where to get it. I have not opened the PP 4lb I have, in case I find someone who would be interested in purchasing it.

I guess I will try it since it is just collecting dust. Perhaps change to another powder in four years when things will be more calm.

The big muzzle blast/fireball, noise and recoil you described, makes me not want to use it for ipsc.

Thank you for the advice and your time.

It is appreciated.

I got large fire balls out of my glock 35 with this powder and both 155 and 180 grain bullets at major pf.. Not my choice in powder.. But do understand given the current components situation..

Hello. I have n350 that is a slower burning powder. I have never tried it with lead bullets before, only with fmj. I heard that titegroup is not the best option for lead since it smokes like a Diesel. I have heard great reviews about wst and n320, have not heard much about solo 1000.

Now the only issue is finding out where to get it. I have not opened the PP 4lb I have, in case I find someone who would be interested in purchasing it.

I guess I will try it since it is just collecting dust. Perhaps change to another powder in four years when things will be more calm.

The big muzzle blast/fireball, noise and recoil you described, makes me not want to use it for ipsc.

It is appreciated.

If the N350 will work for jacketed, it can't hurt to try it with lead. Personally, if I was in your situation I would try anything that might let me shoot. Sure some powders work better than others, but I would use practically anything that would work, if it was all I could get.

Mike

I got large fire balls out of my glock 35 with this powder and both 155 and 180 grain bullets at major pf.. Not my choice in powder.. But do understand given the current components situation..

Thank you very much for your reply.

It is appreciated.

If the N350 will work for jacketed, it can't hurt to try it with lead. Personally, if I was in your situation I would try anything that might let me shoot. Sure some powders work better than others, but I would use practically anything that would work, if it was all I could get.

Mike

My main question would be how smoky and dirty could it be. I will try it when I have some time and post the results. I guess I'm the first one to try it huh?

Thank you for your reply.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Power Pistol in both my 40 and 9, I got a lot cheap so I use it. Power Pistol is a very versatile powder, I've had great luck with it in full tilt boogie rounds and reduced loads as well. My loads are as follows:

6.6gr under a 180gr bullet COL 1.130 = around 990-1000 fps.

6.0gr under a 180gr bullet COL 1.130 = around 890 fps

5.0gr under a 180gr bullet COL 1.130 = around 760 fps, nice shooting Minor load clean and accurate.

I've loaded up to 7.1gr and that will get your attention! loud and kicks like a pissed off mule!!!!!

This is out of a Sig P226 and all cycle fine including the reduced load.

Edited by mjmagee67

I use PP for a very short time. All the RO's loved watching the unburnt powder going out the muzzle after each shot. Said is looked like was putting salt and pepper on the targets.

• 2 weeks later...

What I am using is 180 gr FMJFP with 6.0 gr PP, 1.125 OAL

ref Hornady 9th edition

Lee book loads for Power Pistol in .40 S&W run rather high by comparison, so their load for 180 Gr lead at starting 6.5 might be better at the same 6.0.

The Lee book has a wide variety of loads for lead bullets in .40 S&W. My book is Second Edition.

Edited by at_liberty

• 2 months later...

Mikelindsey

I too use Pp on my 40 reloads. I'm pretty new at reloading but seems to burn ok in my Glock and beretta. I have not noticed any excessive muzzle flash problems like others have had.

You must be blinking or shooting in bright sunlight.... it makes an amazing muzzleflash at night.