Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vinci

P.E. Kelley

Took off a bit more, things are starting to smooth out. My tube isn't here yet but I'm going to shoot it a bit on Friday before I decide to take a bit more off the inside of the loading port

Send down the receiver and we cut the whole hog out the first time on our milling machine, it don't get any bigger.

Have you cut the back of the trigger guard out on any of them? What about trimming the bolt like you do on the M2? How much weight can you take off and keep it reliable? Seems like you could make it pretty light compared to the M2 since the gun is lighter and should accelerate harder to kick in the inertia system. Is there any big difference in the inline system vs the original?

I had to go with the Vinci based on ergonomics and speed of pointing. It'll be my first auto loader, so I think the recoil will be improved over my pump guns no matter how sharp it is.

Dang how did I miss this post so long, too much work not enough play. You can get very aggresive on removing material, or at least I did on both of mine. I would say the vinci is lighter than an M2 and shoots flatter. I think this is due to the fact that the recoil sping is horizontal in the reciever rather than running at an angle down in the stock like an M2, or at least partly.

I shot a regular bolt on my original gun and now a speed bolt, I really didn't feel a difference in recoil but as advertised it will probably let you run lower power shells and therefore reduce recoil. I have run 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 loads in both guns in tons of practice and many matches.

As Pat said it is an easy gun to get up and going in 3 gun, open port add mag tube, go shoot. I did also add rifle sights on mine for more accurate slug placement and I had C-Rums extend both my lifters.

As always if anyone wants to give one a try mine is always available to give a go at any match I am at, its been shots by lots of people.

Both mine have been extremely reliable, only at the Rockcastle Shotgun this year has one of them let me down, my fault, I shot it a lot in practice and didn't give it any cleaning at all before the match and it started coughing on the crap I had let build up over the past weeks. Once fully cleaned and lubed, its run flawlessly. So as a data point, they may need cleaned after a 1000 rounds or 2 before you go to a major match. Let's call that an endurance test anc chalk it up to history lesson:)

The load port is tall, or at least it seems that way due to the sides of the reciever dropping down further, giving it its distinguishing Vinci look. I signigficantly reduced that on mine by removing material. I will post pics for data point. I assume you could takeout too much material but the lower plastic reciever really only support a light amount of weight you can remove a bunch of material, just don't get crazy and funnel so much that the shell rim has room to get past te shell stop when it is in the mag tube, oops, chalk that one up to a history lesson too, good thing plastic is easy to work with.

More later, good shooting

jc

Nope,it's evil.

Got mine yesterday. Spent today opening up the loading port a bit. I cannot figure out how to get shells to load smoothly as I could with my SX2. The loading port is much "taller" if that makes any sense. I feel like I will have to take a ton of material away to get it to look like my other gun, but I don't want to go too crazy just yet.

You might take your time on the hogging out and making it look like other guns. You might find an advantage to have a "well" for the shells. I "load two" and it loads as well as my Super Nova and that is great! You can remove a LOT more material then I have from mine, but the more you expose the shell the greater the chance you get bit by the lifter. Each to their own but I don't "need" welded lifters due in part to how I cut my loading ports.

Mine is basically looking like yours now. I'm going to leave it like this and shoot it a bit before I decide to take more out. Anxiously waiting to see some other people's work as well before I decide to go forward. Thanks for all the advice here and on Facebook.

-Matt

How are you fellows dealing with (treating) the cut surfaces since the hard anodizing is removed and leaves a much softer base material? Corrosion would be my second concern, but a distant one since it can be kept oiled. Not trying to hi jack the thread, but it seems relevant to the discussion.

Thanks for your time!

Warmest regards, Rob

The lower receiver is all plastic.

Thanks, hpnewby!

For some reason I was thinking aluminum like the M2.....I couldn't see the pics on my tablet since it wouldn't download them. I do see it now! Sorry for the trouble.

Warmest regards,

Rob

• 1 month later...

I've used a dremel on my versa, 870 and a buddy's nova. It's a lot quicker on plastic so I mark the receiver to the basic outline I want, then use a dremel to get the bulk and basic profile I'm looking for. Once I have a roughed out port I switch to a hand file to get cleaner edges and to control the shape better. After I have it 95-98% of the way done I move to sand paper and work my way up starting at 100 grit then 120, 220, 320, 400, 500(wet - and I use rem oil just personal preference-) then 600 wet as well. Once that's all done I inspect for any burrs or stray marks then polish with the buffing wheel with the dremel and the red compound they have with it. All of them have come out shiny and smooth. This was after my first run, the side came down a little more and I put the welded carrier in. The other pic it the initial rough in pass on the nova

post-40105-0-91300300-1372549586_thumb.j

post-40105-0-59236800-1372550324_thumb.j

I with I had the money to buy a Vinci just to auger that port out and see how much I can take out, but, the money tree is shriveled and dead after buying an akdal. I need to win the lotto. Haha

Edited by Akkid17

Any opinion on Vinci vs. SuperVinci???

I have a SuperVinci that sits in the safe all year long until Dove season starts. Wouldn't be all bad to have a backup to my M2, or maybe to have my M2 as a back up.

• 5 months later...