Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This is kinda odd...

Rick88

Anytime we had a long field course, I would stuff 29-30 rounds into my 170mm mag and blaze away. But recently, I didn't have that option, so I loaded the 140's and planned for the mag change, What I didn't expect was the increase in my accuracy, and since it was a field course, the one mag change didn't really add to my time. I have done this a few times now and I still cant fiqure out why I score better using the 140's than I do with the 170. Has anyone else experienced this?

I was still blazing away with the 140's, as I said in the original post my time wasnt really affected by the one mag change. As suggested above it could be a balance issue I will go with that and ask this question,

Has anyone else seen improvement in their accuracy with a shorter lighter mag vs a longer heavier mag? I have seen many do very well on stages using 140's, then not so well when they switch to the 170. I'm really starting to question the advantage of the 170mm mag.

Way back when I was shooting a 17L in open a friend had a 33 round magazine and I tried it instead of the standard Glock mag and it slowed me way down although I never had to do a mag change. It really changed the feel of the gun/balance and was actually a detriment.

I have shot practice stages with only the exact # of rounds per mag for each shooting position. It definitely improved my accuracy, slower by a bit, but w/o a drop in HF. If anything, with minor scoring in Production, I would sometimes come out ahead.

I haven't worked up the nerve to do this in an actual match.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same reason I used to shoot doves better with a single barrel than with an auto loader.

What he said. I told an NRA firearms instructor how bad I was at shooting doves. This resulted in him taking me over to the skeet range with an 18" S&W 300P. After ten minutes, and suggesting I load with only one round at a time, voila. About three weeks later I went dove hunting with an Remington 1100 but loaded only one round at a time. I went 8 for 11 that day and have been loading only one since (1983). Who da thunk it.