Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 200gn lead bullets in the TS

kneelingatlas

My shooting buddy and I are going to load some 200 grain lead truncated cone bullets tonight and I'm looking for some advice.

First off, I shoot a TS and he shoots a Witness Match so I know he can load longer, but I'm hoping his Match will cycle my loads fine and we won't have to change back and forth.

The powders we have:

-700X

-WST

-Unique

-HS6

I'm thinking WST would be the best, but the load listed in the Hodgdon tables is only 146PF, so we would have to go well beyond to make Major. On the other hand, the load listed for HS6 is 180pf so we could load a little under, but wouldn't the slowest powder have the most recoil? Also, the OAL listed is 1.125, generally what is the effect on velocity with the same charge and a longer OAL? Should I go crazy trying to figure out how long I can fit in my mags/chamber? or just start with 1.125" and go?

Thanks for the help.

That's a no go with the 200gr lead TC in the TS, I had to go down to 1.063" until I cleared the rifling; not much room for powder at that point, so I gave up and loaded some at 1.2" for my buddy's Witness. I did load some 155gr LRN but I still had to go to 1.1" to clear the rifling. Maybe FMJs are the only bullets for the TS.

I've got some factory 180gr FMJs, maybe I'll pull some and play around.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I though about that, but for the cost of an $80 reamer, I can try a lot of different bullets. I also have a Witness Limited .40 on it's way which can load long; I want to compare the two. I figure it's just a matter of finding the right bullet profile to maximize the potential of the CZs.

like said above - go with the Bayou Bullets, in my 9mm Shadow most rounds have to be 1.090-1.120, but with the 160 gr Bayou's I can load out to 1.160, the profile of the 160 makes all the difference, but i haven't tried others yet

I though about that, but for the cost of an $80 reamer, I can try a lot of different bullets. I also have a Witness Limited .40 on it's way which can load long; I want to compare the two. I figure it's just a matter of finding the right bullet profile to maximize the potential of the CZs.

Plenty of smiths that could do it for you,I've been quoted $25 to do the job. Just send them your barrel.

The other thing with the TS is beyond the chamber you need to worry about long rounds fitting the mag.

Most folks can't get beyond around 1.135 without them jamming in the magazine. This is an issue with the TS, not the Shadow.

I've got some sample bullets on their way in different profiles so I'm going to play around. I also just picked up a Witness Hunter in .45 and a Match in .40, so I'm going to experiment with them as well.

The Match upper on the Hunter lower basically make the Tanfoglio equivalent of the TS and since I have all the best internal components available for the Tanfo I'm going to do my best and compare. The TS with the race hammer sets the bar pretty high, but given the current shortages in components might give the large frame guns the upper hand... at least for now.

I was going to tell you about my load with 200g A-zone FP hardcast loaded at 1.125 but it appears they are out of business. This kind of thing is making me feel old, I still have about 500 of these things.

Please disregard this post and move along.

Edited by tortuga

The 200gr just doesn't feel "right" to me. I got rid of the unloaded ones quickly. You'd think they'd be better, like going from a 115gr to 147grn 9mm..but no.

Edited by pivoproseem

The 200gr just doesn't feel "right" to me. I got rid of the unloaded ones quickly. You'd think they'd be better, like going from a 115gr to 147grn 9mm..but no.

More like going from 200 to 230 for me. From a little snappy to a slower push.