Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decisions Decisions-Switch to New SV or stay with current one

DrawandDuck

Got my new SV last Thursday....one word sums it up "perfection".......I have put about 150 rounds through it and it tracks like my current SV.....new one is metal grip while my current one has the polymer grip....feel is somewhat different but not much. Current gun is bullet proof and I have 100% confidence in the setup. Shot AL Section last month 10 stages 340 rnds and not a single burp.... My plan is to stay with my current gun through this season then look at changing for next year...but man it is going to be hard to put this new one in the safe......New gun is the first 6 pics, the old one is the last.

post-6763-0-68837500-1366340460_thumb.jp

post-6763-0-81458100-1366340470_thumb.jp

post-6763-0-47311700-1366340480_thumb.jp

post-6763-0-05743900-1366340491_thumb.jp

post-6763-0-34495100-1366340502_thumb.jp

post-6763-0-76064300-1366340516_thumb.jp

post-6763-0-02648700-1366340533_thumb.jp

maybe you will slow down a little now... enjoy the scenery... let someone else be Alabama champ, :sight:

That is just crazy talk right there......

Heck ,I don't what else I can do to help you boys out...getting older every day, gained 25 lbs (may have to reduce the work outs from 1 per month to every other month)....don't practice.....reduced the number of matches I shoot, and normally shoot with a rock in my shoe...... :roflol:

Edited by DrawandDuck

Put it in the safe...are you nuts? What koolaid you drinkin' Randal?

What koolaid you drinkin' Randal?

Since you asked I am partial to grape and cherry, this stuff is AWSOME!!

post-6763-0-19549600-1366384577_thumb.jp

Edited by DrawandDuck

Got my new SV last Thursday....one word sums it up "perfection".......I have put about 150 rounds through it and it tracks like my current SV.....new one is metal grip while my current one has the polymer grip....feel is somewhat different but not much. Current gun is bullet proof and I have 100% confidence in the setup. Shot AL Section last month 10 stages 340 rnds and not a single burp.... My plan is to stay with my current gun through this season then look at changing for next year...but man it is going to be hard to put this new one in the safe......New gun is the first 6 pics, the old one is the last.

How long was the wait for ur new SV? Reason I asked 'coz I was quoted for 9 - 11 months. I paid it in full. But it has been 13 months now never heard from them.

How long was the wait for ur new SV? Reason I asked 'coz I was quoted for 9 - 11 months. I paid it in full. But it has been 13 months now never heard from them.

I would think yours should be ready soon but the only way to know is contact Brandon/SV who should be able to provide an update..heard from them last week the current wait time is 15-18 months...he said business has been REALLY good here lately.

.38 super comp.....went to the range today ran 300 round through them...Set up couple of arrays to compare draw and transition times between the two.....I was consistently .2-.3 quicker on the draw with my old gun. As for the shooting splits both are pretty much the same. After shooting the metal grip for 100 rnds I switched back to the polymer grip....felt recoil to the palm was significantly more noticable than with the metal grip....going to stick with the old gun for the MS Classic.....

• 2 months later...

I have a nearly identical pair - and without any reservations I prefer shooting the new one!

The old one is great gun, no questions about that, but the new one is more solid and just feels better. So my advice is to shoot it!

Well, first off let me start by saying NEVER speak too highly of anything or the higher powers to be will put the whammy on it......yea, got to the MS classic and first stage failure to extract doubled my time....ran fine rest of day and right up to the last stage of the match...another failure to extract cost me dearly again......lesson learned.....only thing I have done to the gun in 3 yrs is replace the sear spring. I dropped a new extractor into it but at my local match 4 stages in a row had issues......I replaced the ejector, recoil spring and main spring.......seems to be good to go. In the mean time started shooting the new gun and some may call me crazy but I just didn't like the feel and added weight of the metal grip. Took poly grip off my old gun, slapped it on the new one and everying is right in the gun universe once again. Put my backup poly grip on my old one so both guns have the same feel now. The gun is a tool and it is about what feels good not about what looks pretty.....yea, sad having a $800 grip sitting in the safe but who know I might eventually give it another try.

post-6763-0-07284900-1372132476_thumb.jp

I think you made the wrong move, buddy! That metal grip is definitely worth getting used to! I would not go back, unless I had to.

It was not clear to me from your description which gun had failures to extract... if new one - I had similar experience, and I replaced the stock extractor with Aftec - no more issues.

Old gun had issues, had aftec in it and now has a new one....as for the grip kinda of hard to argue with success....I like what I like and not the type of person to go changing things unless I have a reason. Thanks for the input though.