Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Color of steel targets

Flexmoney

Our poppers are painted in a shade of yellow that makes them stand out from the berm. To convert them to no shoot poppers, we simply turn them around so they have their blue backsides to the shooter; and lock them so they don't fall. The true shade of yellow is the one on the far right, the one on the left appear darker because it happened to be in the shadow.

221251.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have always had a bit of a heart ach with white poppers in a match. Most of the guys aruond here like white but they shoot open. When i set up a stage I usually paint the poppers Yelow this way the red dotd and fibrt opitcs dont comlpain. I rember that I shot a match at SRGC in Ga several years ago and they had painted the popers the same shade of red as the berm and the shots were about 20y. Talk about loosing the targets. Wearing Bifocals dosen't help. That stage was a disaster.

• 6 years later...

Note: merged threads. - Admin.

I imagine this will not pertain to many folks at all, but I'll still toss it out here... Almost every match I go to the steel is painted white. Among other vision issues I am fairly colorblind so white objects pretty much disappear against the light brown of the dirt, especially at distance. I noticed that at IPSC matches the steel is painted blue. If this was done at USPSA matches it would frankly dramatically improve my enjoyment of the game. Just a thought.

Edited by Flexmoney

It is funny that we would not put up cardboard with white as a shoot but the steel is almost always white. The Florida Open this year had the steel all painted blue. In shadows early and late and with the longer shots sometimes the steel was a bit tougher being blue though. We did do a fluorescent orange steel stage one year at Halloween.

The Florida Open this year had the steel all painted blue.

The FL Open is not a USPSA match. Just want to make sure folks know that.

Edited by remoandiris

I don't think it matters as long as all the steel on the same stage is the same color. Couldn't find anything in the rule book saying they had to be white. Up here in snow country, we usually switch to some other color in winter so they are easier to see.

Tom

Neither USPSA nor IPSC rules specify what color metal targets should be painted. You are free to choose pretty much whatever you want. Some thoughts:

White: Most common - Cheep and easy to find. Also, Iron sights siloutte easily against them and red dots show up well on them.

Black: Generally reserved for hard cover as that is the same color you generally paint the hard cover portions of paper targets.

Green: Tends to fade into the backstop grass ...

Brown: Tends to fade into the backstop dirt ...

Blue: A good choice, but do not use with green if you want to designate one a shoot and the other a no shoot. (Color blindness issue for some.)

Red: Frequently associated with a "STOP" plate (other disciplines) or a no shoot. Also may have problems when mixed with green plates (color blind issues ...)

Orange: Why not? Visible as heck ... especially at distance!

Gray: Nasty in poor light, but I've seen it done.

My local range uses white on some stages, and red on others. I, along with others I shoot with, tend to miss the red more so than the white ones. Doesn't seem the color would have that effect but :unsure:

Any color your club wants to use is ok.

The entire front of scoring metal targets must be painted a single color, preferably white.

IMO You can have all the poppers/plates on a stage each a different color.

Leonard

Edited by bluenite

According to the USPSA web site, it is an approved level 3 match.

http://www.uspsa.org...ls.php?indx=617

News to me. It wasn't a USPSA match a year or 2 ago.

I think it may always have been run under USPSA rules. In the past, it was a Level I match. Easy to check. Pull up the results from past years. See if they say if the divisions are "Standard" or "Limited". They do use the turtle targets and also pull a good number of international shooters.

1. This year it was a level III match (FL Open) - previous years it was something else - don't know what it would have been classified - but I do know it was a level III this year.

2. I posted this in a referred page - so - just FYI - this was from Area 6 2009

One good solution in my opinion is to keep the consistency with white no-shoot papers and metals, then paint the scoring metal targets yellow or blue to have a clear contrast with the back berm and hc/ns colors. Both yellow and blue also work decently with red dots and black iron sights.

At club matches we sometimes also use black paint for scoring metal targets, but then we don't have any black hard cover mixing things up. In the end, so long as the difference between the shoot and no-shoot targets is clear, I'm happy! :)