Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M2 issue

Texasbdog

I shot in a 3 gun match today and in every shotgun event my Benelli had a fail to feed issue. I was shooting AA bird shot. I have added a 6 shot extension tube, oversize bolt handle, and barrel/tube clamp. Gun was clean, disassembled bolt carrier greased and Oiled. What am I missing? What can I check?

It had ran flawless for the first 2 matches and the only change was an extended choke.

Thanks for any help.

Is it failing to kick a shell onto the lifter or not cycling the AA shells? Benelli's can be finicky when it comes to low recoil loads. Have you tried different loads through it?

I've tried some 1200fps reloads, didn't like them at all. I tried some 1365 fps reloads and factory Remington , and Winchester sporting clay loads as well as slugs.

The shell is not being lifted, it sits on the lift gate and twice I had to pull them out of the loading tube with my finger. Hmm, spring tension issue, clamp to tight?

Did you remove the magazine extension for cleaning right before the gun started have this problem?

If so, first check to see that the nut is tight against the forearm (with the extension tube removed), then secondly that the extension tube is screwed all the way into the nut so it touch the factory mag tube. We are making sure there is no internal gap at that junction that could hang up the magazine spring.

The your stock follower and radius the edge closest to the shell nose with a fine file. Many of the stock red aluminum followers were not fully machined and have a ridge right there that in conjunction with a after market spring can cock at an angle and hang up in the mag tube. It wont look like it but you can feel this ridge with your finger. Just round it off real well and it should be fine. When I found this problem a couple of years or so ago mine would do the exact same thing. It is kind of like a penny in a pipe just the right size, if it is perfectly square to the pipe it drops right through, if it cocks a bit it will jam. This is a common Benelli problem.

Edited by kurtm

Did you install a welded lifter?

Yes welded lifter was installed last fall .

I will also check the extension and follower for that ridge. I did remove it before for cleaning but I clean it after every match, then I practice and clean it before the next match.

Thanks for the help.

Did you install a welded lifter?

Yes welded lifter was installed last fall .

I will also check the extension and follower for that ridge. I did remove it before for cleaning but I clean it after every match, then I practice and clean it before the next match.

Thanks for the help.

Welded lifters require tuning to get them running right. Most of the time it is VERY little things that for the average shooter are hard to see. You need a Superman like Benny to get them right without a bunch of fooling around getting no where.

The only times my M1 has failed has been due to mag spring/follower issues. Mine at least likes a lot of mag spring tension, more than is usually recommended. I also replaced the follower with a Nordic low drag. And, by the way, I bought my M1 in 2004 and have detail cleaned it exactly once (when I was bored). A quick wipe and spray and its good to go. It's not a gas gun with a gas system that needs frequent cleaning.

If it is just sitting on the lifter, check to see that the bolt release lever, inside the receiver, is not dragging on the lifter. Mine did that and slowed it down enough to cause the problem. I added an oversized button that kept the bolt release from moving out of the way. Took it off, gun ran fine. I welded my lifter, myself, and except for making it too long on the first try (drug on the follower) it has worked fine. As others have said, mag springs make a big difference, make sure yours is long enough. Had mine apart the other day and it's down to 12" beyond the tube, time to replace.