Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson or Brazos Lightening Rod Front sight?

Cundiff5535

Hey guys, I am replacing a front sight on a Kimber... I milled out the rear to fit an SVI adjustable sight... came out perfect!! I thought I could do something with there fiber optic front but, I think it maybe better to just get something made for the Kimber front cut (I dont want to be welding etc all kinds of stuff on my 1911 for no real reason).

I am facing an issue... I do not know what front to buy now... SHIT!

The SVI front that I had was 100x180 and it was matched up with rear per SVI recommendations... Well, Dawson makes this exact dimension for the sight but, I will not lie... the thing just looks huge in the pics. The other thing that is driving me half crazy is I liked the fact that the SVI was "floating" and had serrations on it. The Dawson doesn't look like it has this.

I looked at the Brazos sight and the Lightening Rod Micro dot looks interesting but, I have no idea how it is? Anyone use one of these before? This sight only comes as follows: 100x200 or 100x175... I am slightly concerned that the height difference will throw the rear off a little (even though its adjustable). Again, this doesnt seem to be exactly what I want either... so I need you help here.

The sight set is going to be used for more precision shooting... "Fast" is not a issue so, throw that out the window!! The rear that I am using has a 110 notch and is milled to standard a Bomar cut.

With that said, what front sight do I pick here?? Am I missing any company that offers something similar to the SVI with a Kimber front cut? If not... out of the two I have listed, what would you go with??

Thanks fellas,

Bobby C

Edited by Cundiff5535

Hey, I have a Brazos Edge that came with his lightning rod and i really like it, it has three posts, 2 that hold the fiber optic and one more in front of the fiber optic that when your looking down the sight no matter how your fiber optic rod install was done (i mean when you burn the rod to make it stay in place) the extra post gives you a perfectly round and crisp sight picture. I don't have any experience with the Dawson but a buddy of mine who has had a few of his seems to really like it, so I'm sure either way you go you'll love it, but count me for suggesting the Brazo's. Hopefully this helps.

I first had a Dawson and like it. Then I got the Brazos for my other gun. I like the idea of being able to control how much illumination the fiber can get...

Now I have a SV and like it best of all.

I had the Brazos Microdot on my last two 5" Limited guns and really liked the sight. Tried a Dawson and liked the Brazos one a little better. The Brazos sight gives you a crisp precise dot. I got to check out the new Mannydot system with the .070 front sight at the Brazos tent at the Nationals. I liked it a lot and would've bought it but I'm running a 6" gun now and it doesnt look like it will work.

If you are going for precision and not speed, I'd recommend a black front sight and pretty narrow, .090 or so.

+1

I use the Micro dot on an IDPA build. World of difference when you run and gun. I found it a great compromise between the glowing bulb of the Dawson and a plain black blade. Helps me get on target quicker but still allows for a crisp front sight when taking my time.

Hey, I have a Brazos Edge that came with his lightning rod and i really like it, it has three posts, 2 that hold the fiber optic and one more in front of the fiber optic that when your looking down the sight no matter how your fiber optic rod install was done (i mean when you burn the rod to make it stay in place) the extra post gives you a perfectly round and crisp sight picture. I don't have any experience with the Dawson but a buddy of mine who has had a few of his seems to really like it, so I'm sure either way you go you'll love it, but count me for suggesting the Brazo's. Hopefully this helps.

This