Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best ambi saftey for SV open gun

lvipscshooter

I know you're taken aback by the price on the SVIs, but I'd urge you to reconsider:

I bought the new style ambi directly from SVI 3 weeks or so ago and got it inside of a week. I'm left handed and it's the only one that has consistently worked for me (I have a STI frame). It also didn't require any fitting whatsoever and is a cut above in construction quality.

• 2 months later...

They are indeed very high quality, but you can make the less expensive ones work, if you put some effort into it.

If you buy the SV, be careful with the extra wide ones, to me it was way too wide, so I replaced it with regular size.

I LOVE the extra wide SV safeties. My first set only made it about a year before it broke on the left side right next to the pin. I'm guessing the extra width gives you a lot of leverage on that tiny piece of metal right in front of the pin. Despite that, I bought another set and replaced it with the exact same safety. It is just too good of a feel.

Also, their safeties require no blending to the frame

Hello: Go to a single sided safety and your broken ambi problem goes away. I have been using the Ed Brown ones and have not had one break yet. I have broken a couple of STI's ones. I am a right handed shooter so that helps some. I like the looks of the SVI wide safety but have not tried one. Thanks, Eric

Have a Wilson High Ride in my Limited gun that I like; so far no issues after about 7k rounds. Also like the SVI bar stock ambi thats in my Open gun but the $100 price tag hurt a little.

I've broken two STI ambis in two different guns, and two STI grip safeties. Guess its my gorilla grip haha.